Strangest things seen while out on a run...

Options
12346»

Replies

• pandabear_
    pandabear_ Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I have walked my cats on there leashes. I am sure that was a new one for others on the trail.

I'm going to be doing this with my cat when I get one, in the same park that I go running. I'm sure it will look strange but living in a dangerous/busy area, it's the only way the cat will get exercise/fresh air, when I take it out for walks.
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    Options
    yusaku02 wrote: »
    the women who stopped her car for directions in a part of town I wasn't very familiar with so I accidentally sent her the wrong way x1s

I get asked for directions all the time when I run. I guess I just have that "girl next door" appearance, or people think I know my way around. I do usually know where to direct them, but I am really poor at actually giving directions so I figure half the time they get lost anyways.

Since people are mentioning rabbits, there is a hare I see on my runs a lot (I think he lives in this huge bush I run past). The first time I saw him, he was on the path and then sauntered off as I got closer, and just sat there staring at me and PEED. Like peed like he'd been holding it for hours. I assume it was some sort of territorial display. I have since named him and see him on my runs often. His coloring means he blends into dirt really easily so he will suddenly move as I am passing by and scare the crap out of me a lot of days.

Be careful of those, that're "asking for directions" because that might not be, their intent. It could be innocent, such as someone; liking you & might be interested in dating you or it could be a creep, that's trying to get you close enough to their vehicle; to abduct you.
  • sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    pandabear_ wrote: »
    I have walked my cats on there leashes. I am sure that was a new one for others on the trail.

I'm going to be doing this with my cat when I get one, in the same park that I go running. I'm sure it will look strange but living in a dangerous/busy area, it's the only way the cat will get exercise/fresh air, when I take it out for walks.

Yeah my hybrids love walks. I have 30ft leads for them in the pack yard and play outside with my daughter and them in the back yard normally as walking a cat isn't a good workout but it is fun for sure.
  • walkjem
    walkjem Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I run on my country road and have experienced some of the same things as you guys.
    Once, I slowed down to cross an intersection, and an elderly woman rolled down her car window and asked if I needed a ride! I have been asked directions by mostly women looking for the nearby cemetery; but i would hope that men would have the common sense to not slow down by a woman runner as it might scare her!

Which reminds me - a group of male bycylists rode up behind me and one guy said "Let's scare the crap out of her!" Did he not know how voices carry?!
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    I used to see rabbits regularly, but they've trapped them all and are shipping them to a rabbit sanctuary in Texas. Canada is weird sometimes.

Now we just have 'don't feed the rabbits' signs.

There's a guy who I'm fairly certain has time travelled. He runs in jorts with a fanny pack, no shirt and sweatbands. He used to have short hair but I think he's attempting a mullet. I've seen him sitting in a chair on the side of the trail yelling encouraging things at people.

Ran into a horse once too.
  • fileshiny
    fileshiny Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    All these strange things are why I love running outside. There's just not as much strangeness going on when on a treadmill, give or take a few Kardashians on the TV.
  • paradi3s
    paradi3s Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    A kitty smushed flat :( Just when I composed myself, I saw ANOTHER one at the same state. I have no idea if it was an accident, or some sick person around my village does this for fun... :(

I wasn't running, but I was walking one time and I was one of those "strangest things seen while running" as I was wearing a pink tiger onesie. Sad to say, I passed by a cute neighbor who looked at me oddly. It's now the reason why I jog in cute shorts ahha
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Once I was running along the beach and a group of men were all laying out in thongs in separate coves or nooks on the shoreline awaiting other men to show up and enjoy each other. As I passed each one they were like meerkats hopping up on their knees awaiting if I was going to join them.
  • KrystinaMTL
    KrystinaMTL Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    I run in a cemetary so not to quote Hayley Joel Osment but : I see dead people.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    Not "weird" exactly, but I was running along a canal path and an old (confused) man drove off of a bridge into the canal right in front of me. I had to wade in to help get him out, wait for police, etc. He was ok, but I felt awful for him. And I felt awful for myself - It was during my longest marathon training run, it was cold, and I was 9 miles from my car and soaking wet.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Not strange, per se, since I was in a greenbelt but I startled a skunk and narrowly missed being sprayed!

Green belt? Where do you live?

Strangest thing I ever saw was an immaculately made peanut butter and jelly sandwich sitting on it's side, upright, on the side of the road. Don't know why, but I felt at that moment I was being watched by something greater than myself.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    The only thing I've seen that I have not yet seen mentioned is a beaver. I had a smallish one pop out from some tall grass and brush on the side of a paved streamway trail I was running on just about 100 feet ahead of me. When it saw me running towards it then it turned around and started scurrying away from me down the paved trail. I just kept on coming since it was my running route. It looked back at me a few times and kept on running ahead for about 500 feet or so before it finally jumped back off the trail towards the stream. There are many beaver not too far away but it was a little odd seeing one this far upstream and in a fairly populated area. Naturally as soon as I got home I excitedly told my wife that I spent part of my run chasing beaver! :smiley:

Other than that, deer, foxes, turkeys, turtles, owls, skunks, snakes, eagles, and possibly a bobcat but I didn't get to see it long enough to be absolutely sure, but it sure looked like one and they have some pretty unique features.
  • closetlibrarian
    closetlibrarian Posts: 2,207 Member
    Options
    A naked guy with a walking stick, shoes, socks, and a sunhat; a bobcat chasing a rabbit - he completely ignored me; an orb spider web stretched more than 6 feet across the trail. I pulled some mad Matrix moves in order not to face plant in the web.
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    a puppy running towards me with a giant bow around it's neck being chased by two women. turns out the pup was a gift to their daughter. The dog was so adorable it was hard to let go haha.

Another time I saw a drunk women walk around and yell nonsense...it was 6AM....and I was in the "rich" neighborhood..,it was unusual.

Oh! and I've had a guy once run past me and tell me "I need to run faster if I plan on losing my rolls" (I run at a slow pace)....fun times :)
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    this isn't weird, but if there is a dog within a mile radius they will find me when I'm running and chase me...every time.

I did see some woman in my neighborhood last week riding some strange contraption that was an elliptical bike thing. I just didn't get it. This thing. The best part of riding a bike is coasting down hills....

Female_Rider_on_Green_ElliptiGO_8S_small.jpg
  • fileshiny
    Options
    I did see some woman in my neighborhood last week riding some strange contraption that was an elliptical bike thing. I just didn't get it. This thing. The best part of riding a bike is coasting down hills....

Female_Rider_on_Green_ElliptiGO_8S_small.jpg

I've actually wanted one of those things for a long time!
  • fileshiny
    Options
    A naked guy with a walking stick, shoes, socks, and a sunhat; a bobcat chasing a rabbit - he completely ignored me; an orb spider web stretched more than 6 feet across the trail. I pulled some mad Matrix moves in order not to face plant in the web.

I am now imagining a naked guy being chased by a bobcat running into Shelob.
  • fileshiny
    Options

Strangest thing I ever saw was an immaculately made peanut butter and jelly sandwich sitting on it's side, upright, on the side of the road. Don't know why, but I felt at that moment I was being watched by something greater than myself.

You were- scientists! It was a psychological test- does he eat the sandwich or doesn't he? I don't know if you passed or failed by not eating it!