Sedentary Job

Options
I've just begun a new job, one in which I'm sitting on my backside for 8 hours (16 on Mondays). There's little opportunity for breaks (run to the bathroom quick, that's about it) and we all eat meals at our work stations. This is a change from my previous career, where I was on my feet most of the time. I'm a distance runner currently in training and have one rest day per week (my Monday double shift). I recently read an article by an RD that suggested a lot of sitting can negate the effects of working out. Since starting the job, I have definitely put on some belly flab, however this can be attributed to the fact that my co-workers heap piles of snacks and baked goods on a table in our workroom. I have to work hard to stay away from those, or bank calories for my shifts. I've reduced my daily calorie allotment and try to bring meals like veggie-packed salads to work, which take a while to eat. I'm not used to sitting, so even though my brain is working, my body is bored and wants to snack. Any other advice?

Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Simple skip the crap the coworkers bring in. Also sitting is hard on the body. I would up the mobility/flexibility work you do.

Good luck
  • Cindude
    Cindude Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Can you bring in your own chair? You can get a balance ball chair for 80-90 dollars. At least you would be "active sitting" at work.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I work a job "in which I'm sitting on my backside for 8 hours", sometimes 12 or 14, and where the employer provides an abundance of candy, snacks, and lately good fruits and a few good snack choices. I have to eat a good breakfast for any of my weight loss plans to succeed. When I started my weight loss journey, I partook of the company junk food. Over days and weeks, I partook less, so that after a month I partook not at all. I carry my lunch to work, which is 250 calories which I nibble on throughout the day, then I get home and fix a big dinner. It works for me.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    As far as your job goes, stand up at least once per hour for a minute.
  • kristieshannon
    kristieshannon Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I too went from an active job (nurse in a very busy trauma center) to a desk job a few months ago. Luckily several days a week I can actually take a real lunch hour and get a walk in. For days I can't I've been thinking of getting one of those peddle machines that I could put under my desk. Anyone tried one of those?
  • Kullerva
    Kullerva Posts: 1,114 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    My job is totally sedentary, 8 hours a day, aside from some work lifting/carrying boxes. See if you can elevate your desk/computer, making it into a standing desk. That way you're not sitting constantly.

My work is notorious for its numerous high-cal food options. When I was starting out, I permitted myself no more than one free treat from work per week. Now that I'm very close to my goal, I don't even permit that. It's impossible to really know what's in that stuff, so it's impossible to track it.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Cindude wrote: »
    Can you bring in your own chair? You can get a balance ball chair for 80-90 dollars. At least you would be "active sitting" at work.

At one point half of my office was using activity balls for chairs. It was a bit disconcerting during meetings when everyone was bouncing up and down at different rates.
  • Equus5374
    Equus5374 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Thank you to those who have given me practical advice. Much appreciated. Simply telling me to "avoid the crap" is not helpful; I'm well aware I should avoid it, but the struggle is all to real. I struggle every minute I'm there to avoid it!! Thanks to those who shared their struggle.

I like the idea of standing up at least once per hour; I think I'll do that and add some stretching or maybe some squats.

I've also looked into those under-desk peddle machines. If my co-workers wouldn't mind, I think I might get one. Seems like it would be a good investment.

I'm working hard at packing quality, protein and fiber rich meals that take me a while to consume. If I have a bag of carrots and cucumbers in front of me to munch on, I'm a lot less apt to go over to that dreaded snack table.

Thanks all!!!
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Not going to push any specific product, but you could see about buying a standing desk...
    (http://www.varidesk.com)

Above is just an example.

If you talk with your boss, they may be willing to pay for it or share the cost with you if you discuss with them that it is for your health.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Equus5374 wrote: »
    Thank you to those who have given me practical advice. Much appreciated. Simply telling me to "avoid the crap" is not helpful; I'm well aware I should avoid it, but the struggle is all to real. I struggle every minute I'm there to avoid it!! Thanks to those who shared their struggle.

I like the idea of standing up at least once per hour; I think I'll do that and add some stretching or maybe some squats.

I've also looked into those under-desk peddle machines. If my co-workers wouldn't mind, I think I might get one. Seems like it would be a good investment.

I'm working hard at packing quality, protein and fiber rich meals that take me a while to consume. If I have a bag of carrots and cucumbers in front of me to munch on, I'm a lot less apt to go over to that dreaded snack table.

Thanks all!!!

Sorry if you don't like advise to avoid the crap, but face facts, you are less active then you were in your prior job. You need to reduce the calories or up the movement. Avoiding the crap is the easier solution. You have to make the choice if you want the office snacks or the belly flab.

As @GuitarJerry said, eating crap because it's there is not a valid reason.

I've had an office job for 35 years. After about the first 3 I decided to leave all the office food where it sat. I had a promise to myself I wasn't going to the next pants size. I've probably eaten about 5 office treats in the last 30 years.

As others have said, if you can get a standing workstation, it is really helpful. Sitting for 8-10 hours is hard on the body, nice to be able to change position.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    OP no advice for you. But I know for a fact that I would struggle big time avoiding tasty morsels at work. You'll need willpower made of steel unfortunately.
  • kristieshannon
    kristieshannon Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Wow-some harsh words here. I'm assuming we are all here due to struggling with weight or health. I think OP's issue is a common one, I've certainly faced the same and I've appreciated good advice from others here about strategies, especially when I first moved from an active job to a sedentary one. Let's be supportive of each other!
  • foxygirl14
    foxygirl14 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Can you get a standing desk? It helps me feel more energetic and less apt to snack at work.
  • foxygirl14
    foxygirl14 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    DanaDark wrote: »
    Not going to push any specific product, but you could see about buying a standing desk...
    (http://www.varidesk.com)

Above is just an example.

If you talk with your boss, they may be willing to pay for it or share the cost with you if you discuss with them that it is for your health.

The one I have was from Amazon and only $20.:)
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Wow-some harsh words here. I'm assuming we are all here due to struggling with weight or health. I think OP's issue is a common one, I've certainly faced the same and I've appreciated good advice from others here about strategies, especially when I first moved from an active job to a sedentary one. Let's be supportive of each other!

Really?
  • Equus5374
    Equus5374 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I'm not so sure there are harsh words but there are useless words. Telling someone to just not do something is useless; I think if we all just didn't do something, perhaps we wouldn't be here sharing our journey. As a few pointed out, it's a deep struggle to just avoid this or just walk away from that. Temptation is strong and justification is stronger. As long as I'm at this job, I will have to have willpower of iron, as has been suggested! I'll do my best and try to remember what it feels like to gain weight when that is not desired. Thanks all!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Equus5374 wrote: »
    I'm not so sure there are harsh words but there are useless words. Telling someone to just not do something is useless; I think if we all just didn't do something, perhaps we wouldn't be here sharing our journey. As a few pointed out, it's a deep struggle to just avoid this or just walk away from that. Temptation is strong and justification is stronger. As long as I'm at this job, I will have to have willpower of iron, as has been suggested! I'll do my best and try to remember what it feels like to gain weight when that is not desired. Thanks all!

a lot of us here have "office jobs" where we sit most of the day...me included in that.

but if you can get up from your desk to go get snacks...then you aren't chained to it. Instead of heading to the room with the food walk around the building.

when I go get water I take the long route
    when I go to the bathroom again I choose the one downstairs.

There are ways as a desk sitter to avoid temptation and get more movement in...

I manage to get in 5k steps in a day with a desk job.

If you really want the snacks work it in...eat a smaller dinner/lunch/breakfast to leave room for them.

• mom22dogs
    mom22dogs Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Why is telling someone not to do something useless? Because that is what you have to do if you want to lose weight. You do have to not eat the high calorie treats. Some people just don't candy-coat things and just say it like it is.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I wonder if there are others in your workspace in the same boat...you could probably start a group that works together to "avoid the crap", maybe having pot luck healthy lunches or taking walks together instead of eating at your desks?