I need help!!

Options
ok so I'm very confused on how my fitbit app and myfitnesspal app is calculating how many calories I'm aloud left to eat a day? If my goal is 1400 and you minus...saaay....1300 you ate for the day but then it calculates back ALL of your calories you have ever burned throughout the day are the you just maintaining your weight instead of losing? I'm so confused someone please help!?

Replies

• MarioAvila2
    MarioAvila2 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    So your daily intake is 1400 and you already 1300 leaving 100 calories to eat left ? .. Are you talking about the calories earnd ?
  • MarioAvila2
    MarioAvila2 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    If you are I personally leave those out and just make sure you get in the calories that you want in
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Check out the fitbit group for questions you have:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users

Short answer: if you have your goal set to lose weight, any adjustment you receive should still leave you with the deficit you asked for.

However, as with all calorie calculations, your adjustment is an estimate. Choose to eat all the adjustment, or half, or two-thirds, or whatever, and do that for 4-6 weeks. Adjust the amount you eat as necessary based on your weight loss. Be aware that if you are not logging your food accurately, you are likely eating more than you think and that will obviously be a factor in how much you lose as well.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,838 Member
    Options
    If you set your MFP profile to lose (say) 1 pound a week, and it gives you a 1400 calorie goal, then you're supposed to eat 1400 every day to lose 1 pound a week.

If you then exercise, and the calorie-burn estimate for the exercise is 100 calories, that is (theoretically) 100 more calories you should eat, for a total of 1500 calories eaten, in order to lose 1 pound per week.

However, the reason I say "theoretically" is that some people believe that the exercise calories may be over-estimated/over-stated. So they eat zero to 75% of the exercise calories or something like that, so that they will still lose 1 pound per week, or maybe a bit more.

If you exercise a large amount, you should eat at least some of the exercise calories, especially if you had already told MFP you want to lose 2 pounds per week (or a kilo). For example, if your calorie goal is 1400, and you exercise for 1000, and eat none of the 1000, but only the 1400 . . . you have effectively netted only 400 calories for the day if the exercise estimate happens to be correct, and that is waaaay too little fuel to stay healthy.

Personally, I estimated my exercise calories carefully/conservatively, then ate them all in addition to my regular daily calorie goal, while losing around 60 pound in about 9 months.
  • sarahe1992
    sarahe1992 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    If you set your MFP profile to lose (say) 1 pound a week, and it gives you a 1400 calorie goal, then you're supposed to eat 1400 every day to lose 1 pound a week.

If you then exercise, and the calorie-burn estimate for the exercise is 100 calories, that is (theoretically) 100 more calories you should eat, for a total of 1500 calories eaten, in order to lose 1 pound per week.

However, the reason I say "theoretically" is that some people believe that the exercise calories may be over-estimated/over-stated. So they eat zero to 75% of the exercise calories or something like that, so that they will still lose 1 pound per week, or maybe a bit more.

If you exercise a large amount, you should eat at least some of the exercise calories, especially if you had already told MFP you want to lose 2 pounds per week (or a kilo). For example, if your calorie goal is 1400, and you exercise for 1000, and eat none of the 1000, but only the 1400 . . . you have effectively netted only 400 calories for the day if the exercise estimate happens to be correct, and that is waaaay too little fuel to stay healthy.

Personally, I estimated my exercise calories carefully/conservatively, then ate them all in addition to my regular daily calorie goal, while losing around 60 pound in about 9 months.

thank you so much you really helped my answered my question, but I have another question, the fitbit calories that automatically calculate during the day that it says you burn NOT doing high activity or even moderate... .do you eat back even those calories? or just the ones you calculate everytime you workout?
  • pcpop7
    pcpop7 Posts: 161 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    If you click the little i next to the calorie adjustment from fitbit in mfp it gives a breakdown of how it is calculated

Basically

Say:
    mfp thinks you need 2000 to maintain or 1500 to lose 1 lb
    fitbit records your estimated burn for the full day at 2500
    fitbit synchs with mfp and mfp adjusts your maintenance to 2500 for that day
    So mfp adds on 500 for excercise to keep your goal in line else you would have a defecit of 1000 for that day.

So to answer your question depends on how accurate fitbit is for you, some people report over estimates and some report under or spot on. If it is spot on for you, then you would eat the additional 500 calories in my example. Fitbit is an all day tracker so gives an estimate of your activity over the day including incidental activity (walking to the toilet, walking to the shop, etc.)
  • sarahe1992
    sarahe1992 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    pcpop7 wrote: »
    If you click the little i next to the calorie adjustment from fitbit in mfp it gives a breakdown of how it is calculated

Basically

Say:
    mfp thinks you need 2000 to maintain or 1500 to lose 1 lb
    fitbit records your estimated burn for the full day at 2500
    fitbit synchs with mfp and mfp adjusts your maintenance to 2500 for that day
    So mfp adds on 500 for excercise to keep your goal in line else you would have a defecit of 1000 for that day.

So to answer your question depends on how accurate fitbit is for you, some people report over estimates and some report under or spot on. If it is spot on for you, then you would eat the additional 500 calories in my example. Fitbit is an all day tracker so gives an estimate of your activity over the day including incidental activity (walking to the toilet, walking to the shop, etc.)

got it hmm ok.......well according to mfp I'm like almost always like 1000 to 500 calories short that I dont eat