Squat help! Should I switch to goblet quats?

Options
armydreamers
armydreamers Posts: 175 Member
edited May 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi everyone!
So I've been doing Stronglifts 5x5 for the past several weeks and I'm finding the one exercise I have the most trouble with is the squats. I CANNOT break parallel (or even get to parallel) with much weight. I can if I'm doing a body weight squat, but add any weight onto my back and nope. I don't know if it' mental or physical. I just can't.

So, the trainer I had been working with suggested switch for a while to a goblet squat. So I tried that with a 20lb kettlebell and was easily able to break parallel. I had been squatting 65lbs before (but again, not going low enough). Question is, should I keep doing the goblet squats in place of the regular squats for a while? Is it that important to break parallel? Or is it more important to continue the back squats even though I'm not going low enough?

Thanks

Replies

• Clarewho
    Clarewho Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Is there a hack squat machine available in your gym? It can help get you used to going lower.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    Does your gym have any lighter bars you can try? If they don't do the goblet squats and build some strength. At home do a couple of sets of body weight squats with a light weight broom handle & perfect your form. Give the back squats another try in a month or so.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I would try goblet squats.

Back squats are great but there's absolutely nothing wrong with using a different squat for training. I dropped back squats for 10 months in favor of front squats last year and it did me a world of good. Unless you are competing in a particular lift in the near future, there's no actual *must* about doing it right now.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I would try goblet squats.

Back squats are great but there's absolutely nothing wrong with using a different squat for training. I dropped back squats for 10 months in favor of front squats last year and it did me a world of good. Unless you are competing in a particular lift in the near future, there's no actual *must* about doing it right now.

Pretty much this. Do the squat variant that you have the better range of motion on. Unless of course you are a power lifter about to compete and NEED to be able to break parallel with a back squat.
  • armydreamers
    Options
    Great, thanks you guys!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Another option to doing the goblet is to use the padded body bar for the back squat. My gym has them going from 12-35/6 lbs so I am working my way through them until I get to bar bell strength.

Cheers, h.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    goblet squats are great but they are not back squats. my opinion is do both. if you can do bodyweight squats and goblet squats and break parallel, there is a form issue when you are in the position holding the barbell. Try doing bw squats with a broom stick or piece of PCV . Post a video if you can,. My guess is when you do bw and goblet squats you are leaning too far forward and using your back , which you can't really do with the heavy bar on your back and get low. just post a video
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    The one thing that sticks out to me - or, more specifically, the one question I have after reading the OP - did the trainer you're working with say why (s)he thought you weren't able to hit parallel? Goblet squats are fine - especially like jemhh said, if you're not competing. But figuring out why you can't hit parallel with the back squat - considering you're doing back squats - seems like it would be a priority.
  • DreesPerformanceTraining
    Options
    Hi everyone!
    So I've been doing Stronglifts 5x5 for the past several weeks and I'm finding the one exercise I have the most trouble with is the squats. I CANNOT break parallel (or even get to parallel) with much weight. I can if I'm doing a body weight squat, but add any weight onto my back and nope. I don't know if it' mental or physical. I just can't.

So, the trainer I had been working with suggested switch for a while to a goblet squat. So I tried that with a 20lb kettlebell and was easily able to break parallel. I had been squatting 65lbs before (but again, not going low enough). Question is, should I keep doing the goblet squats in place of the regular squats for a while? Is it that important to break parallel? Or is it more important to continue the back squats even though I'm not going low enough?

Thanks

Goblet squats are more beneficial for you than back squats. The only reason to stop doing them would be because you physically can no longer hold heavier weight.
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Goblet squats are more beneficial for you than back squats. The only reason to stop doing them would be because you physically can no longer hold heavier weight.

[/quote]

Why are goblet squats more beneficial than back squats??
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Can the OP do both movements in this assessment?
    http://deansomerset.com/the-worlds-easiest-assessment-and-how-to-tell-if-you-need-more-mobility-instantly/

Trainer should have done some basic assessments, but you never know.
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Mummyadams wrote: »
    Why are goblet squats more beneficial than back squats??

I am going out on a limb and assuming because she can actually do the goblet squats with full ROM vs partial ROM with the back squat.

Still probably a good idea to figure out why the OP has trouble with the back squat and correct it so she can eventually lift heavier weights if she wishes.
  • jhend746
    jhend746 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

Thanks

It's important you have the right technique, most importantly, that you don't have butt wink. This is when you lower back rounds near the end of the eccentric phase of the squat. Front squats and goblet squats are good for forcing appropriate technique. If you still have butt wink, then elevate your heals with 5lb plates. Good luck.
  • DreesPerformanceTraining
    Options
    Mummyadams wrote: »

Why are goblet squats more beneficial than back squats??[/quote]

Bigger bang for your buck. What's harder, resting a weight on your back or holding it in your hands? You put more stress on the postural/core musculature with the goblet squat, which is lacking in virtually all adults. Also, it's much more friendly on the hips and knees.

This is assuming you are using close to the same amount of weight with both. 315lb on the back squat does not equal a 50lb goblet squat.
  • armydreamers
    Options
    The problem is hip flexor pain. That's why I can't break parallel. :(
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Why not lower the weight... you said you are trying to squat 65lbs take those 10s off and just squat the bar.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

Bigger bang for your buck. What's harder, resting a weight on your back or holding it in your hands? You put more stress on the postural/core musculature with the goblet squat, which is lacking in virtually all adults. Also, it's much more friendly on the hips and knees.

This is assuming you are using close to the same amount of weight with both. 315lb on the back squat does not equal a 50lb goblet squat.

If you assume equal loading then I would think a goblet or front squat would be more stressful on the knees due to greater forward knee travel.

You are basically increasing knee flexion and reducing hip flexion in a front squat and the opposite in a back squat.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    Options
    The problem is hip flexor pain. That's why I can't break parallel. :(
    Seems to me that alleviating the pain would be an obvious first step.