How are you sticking to calorie limit?

Options
Since losing weight, mfp has reduced my calories down to 1300 per day. I'm honestly struggling to stay within this limit, even eating healthily. As as result I got discouraged and gave up for a while, and binged, but think that enough is enough, and time to get back to it. I would appreciate some examples of what other people with similar calorie allowance are eating to manage to stay within it. I eat more on the days I exercise, but even then often don't feel satisfied and tempted to snack.

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    What did you choose as your loss per week? You can lower that by half a pound and get an additional 250 calories.
  • AmandaIsherwood3
    AmandaIsherwood3 Posts: 47 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    This is a typical day for me on 1200 calories, even squeezed in a chocolate bar. As you can see I used most of my exercise calories but I only log half of what exercise I do so if I do a hour walk I log 30 minutes.
  • sashayoung72
    sashayoung72 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    One thing to remember is if you feel upset about not being able to stick with 1300 is binging and WAY OVER isn't going to fix anything. If you have a day where you are going to go over, shake it off and keep plugging along.
    I eat a huge amount of cabbage or cauliflower with chicken or turkey kielbasa for dinner. I'm a small breakfast, small lunch, maybe a snack and then eat a huge dinner.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    This is a typical day for me on 1200 calories, even squeezed in a chocolate bar. As you can see I used most of my exercise calories but I only log half of what exercise I do so if I do a hour walk I log 30 minutes.

You know you can open your diary?
  • subakwa
    subakwa Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    On 1230 I manage a small breakfast, small lunch, reasonable dinner, evening snack and soya milk in tea or coffee a few times a day.

Breakfast might be a slice of toast or a bowl of porridge.

Lunch, perhaps a scrambled egg on toast, or Ryvita with Quorn ham and cucumber or tomato. Perhaps an apple or some zero fat Greek yoghurt afterwards.

Dinner would be a big bowl of veggie curry (no rice, just stuffed with veg), veg stir fry with Spiralizer veg instead of noodles, or something like some smoked trout and a big salad.

Snacks are popcorn, or rice cakes, or roasted soy beans. Sometimes a steal of the kids healthy fruit snacks.

I am rarely hungry - even went o Pizza Hut yesterday within 1200 cals!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    What did you choose as your loss per week? You can lower that by half a pound and get an additional 250 calories.

^^ this
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    You can set your goal to lose less per week. I'll bet you've got it set to lose 2 pounds per week. You can set it to lose 1 or 0.5 per week and eat more and not have to binge.

I eat around 1,500 a day and don't binge and lose pretty regularly. Those binges set you back pretty far. May as well do the slower rate and not have these setbacks at all.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    OP are you eating back any exercise calories you earn? What is your rate of loss set at?

Choosing a goal that is achievable and sustainable is an important part of being successful here. If the calorie goal is too low and results in you giving up and binging, then something needs to change.
  • TangledThread
    TangledThread Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and have mfp set to lose half a pound a week. When I reached 130 lb and my calories were reduced to 1300 I almost cried. I manually raised it back to 1480.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Since losing weight, mfp has reduced my calories down to 1300 per day. I'm honestly struggling to stay within this limit, even eating healthily. As as result I got discouraged and gave up for a while, and binged, but think that enough is enough, and time to get back to it. I would appreciate some examples of what other people with similar calorie allowance are eating to manage to stay within it. I eat more on the days I exercise, but even then often don't feel satisfied and tempted to snack.

How much was your calorie goal lowered? What number do you feel comfortable at?
    You can manually change your calorie goal or can change the amount you are set to lose per week. You can change the kind of food you eat- more protein, more vegetables. You can eat some of the calories earned from exercise.

I started MFP with 1340 calories to lose 1 lb per week. I didn't find that very difficult with prelogging and getting enough protein. When MFP first lowered my goal to 1200 I didn't feel I could do that so I changed it to 1270 and then 1250 for awhile. After a few months of that I did lower it to 1200 again. It isn't as easy to stick to 1200 calories. It is easier to exercise and eat a bit more than that.
  • willammoney
    willammoney Posts: 137 Member
    Options

1. It's mostly a mental challenge
    2. I have days that I eat giant chocolate bars but still stay within my net calories
    3. Get use to being uncomfortable
  • Wicked_Seraph
    Wicked_Seraph Posts: 388 Member
    Options

If you're finding it difficult to stay within a low calorie limit, it never hurts to reduce your lbs/week goal to allow yourself a bit more wiggle room.

What, exactly, do you find difficult? The temptation to snack or eat, or feeling hungry?

If it's a mental struggle, distract yourself. Find a hobby that has nothing to do with food to enjoy - even better if it's exercise. Try to divorce food from your current hobbies. For example, I very often would watch Netflix or play video games while snacking - which could easily net me hundreds of calories! Try to make a point, if you are going to eat something, of setting aside a set amount and not going past it. Forgo the snacks and form a new habit, such as a bottle of water to work on instead of a bowl of (if you're like me) Cheez-its. Often I find myself drinking so much water that I'm too full to even CONSIDER snacking lol

If it's hunger, try aiming for foods that are high in volume but not so much in calories. Make sure you're drinking enough fluids throughout the day AND during your meals. Sometimes hunger is thirst in disguise, and you'd be surprised how much easier it is to eat slowly and mindfully when you're also ensuring that you're drinking throughout the meal. Automatic portion control!
  • Noelani1503
    Noelani1503 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I workout as much as I can and eat my exercise calories back. It helps if I choose foods with more protein and fat and try to limit carb snacking.

I definitely agree with the advice to consider changing your goals so you have a slower loss. You'll want this to be sustainable.
  • candybeeh
    candybeeh Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You should probably consider replacing all your snacks with vegetables like carrots, celery, tomatoes, etc. They keep you full and contain fewer calories. Try to eat more protein as well, like greek yogurt, eggs, cheese, etc. Hope this helps :)
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    It's very important to me that this process is enjoyable, not miserable. I'm less likely to quit, and if I'm "interrupted by life" as I am from time to time, it's easier to get started again. If it's miserable at all I procrastinate. Were it me, I'd up my calories, accept a slower rate of loss, and those days where I'm feeling up to it, aim for that 1200.
  • drpsamin
    drpsamin Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I eat roughly +/- 200 from my daily calories...sometimes I can go way over ...but I log everything honestly. Worked for me.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options

Wait til you get old! I started out with my activity level as sedentary and by default because of weight and age I got 1200 cal/day. That was inspiration enough to get my a** in gear and get more active so I didn't have to limit myself every day.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Well the first thing is... you're supposed to eat back some exercise calories. I would NEVER have stuck to it if I had to eat 1300 calories. Just nope. I lost 80 pounds and never ate less than 1650 calories (I was 34 when I lost most of the weight, and I'm 5'5"). For me exercising was key to give me more calories because I have a big appetite and I love eating.

So what worked for me was exercising to eat more calories, never have more than a 'lose 1 pound a week' deficit, eat 30% of my calories of protein and 30% of fat... then allow 100-200 calorie treats once I reached that (I don't count flavored Greek yogurt as treats though). And cut pretty much all drink calories.

Bottom line is that it has to be sustainable, or you just won't stick to it, as you've noticed... so decrease your deficit, and eat more protein and fat, and if you really want something, make it fit in your calories.
  • dancing_daisy
    dancing_daisy Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Cutting out carbs! But you don't have to! When I came to do this (for other health reasons) I started finding alternatives to my usual ingredients which were just as nice but with way fewer calories:

Before - After
    Rice - Cauliflower rice
    Pasta - Courgette Spaghetti
    LF yoghurt - plain unsweetened yoghurt
    Skimmed Milk - Unsweetened soya
    Chopped tomatoes - Tomato puree

Set aside a night, have a big healthy dinner so you're full then go wander the supermarket. Examine things you've never looked at, scour the shelves above and below your normal choices to see what's there!

I'd also recommend drinking no sugar squash/coridal and green or herbal teas. Keep experimenting till you find one you like!
  • ummijaaz560
    ummijaaz560 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I stick to mine by accepting that the loss is going to be slower because I like to eat. So I workout and earn my keep while getting fit.

I refuse to be hungry and deprived. Yeah I want the weight off, but I need to learn how to eat like the 50lb lighter person I'm attempting to be.

I guarantee you if we woke up tomorrow morning and the weight was gone, most would gain it all back( because you didn't learn how to maintain your new body).

That learned maintenance comes with time.