Barre...disappointment...trying...turning 40...ha

Options
I have been going through some positive changes... one being a huge career change that I have been working my butt off (of course the hustle continues to move up, but...). I have been so wanting to get back to what I was 6 years ago and now, at almost 40 and the biggest I have ever been, trying out new things, feeling completely unmotivated or useless (even though I jogged 3 X this week).

So I tried a Barre class last weekend. I think I was the only one who had an actual day job and no make up on... oh and of course not a twig in lulelemon (sp?) gear. While I can see how great that class would be, I am all about efficiency, having time for my outside projects (and jobs), and not having to spend 20 dollars per class and feeling completely out of place.

Since moving in with my boyfriend, I don't love too close to my old gym anymore and know that has been an excuse (though it takes me not even 10 mins from my new job to get there). I feel like I just need to bite the bullet and jog, take the extra time to cross the river and go to my old gym where I can comfortably lift weights to complement my jogging and maybe even catch some classes that I used to love. I wanted to like Barre, but just don't fit in... and don't believe in targeting muscle groups so one can look hot in 6" heels and bootie shorts.

Do you ever go through this, knowing what is right, trying to be as efficient as possible, getting completely down despite other aspects of your life going really well? Is this all because I am turning 40 in 2 months? Gah!

Jogging and lifting weights. To me this is the ultimate combo for fat burning when it comes to efficiency. I just want to drop grasping for new things and get my *kitten* back in the game. Focus factor and such.

Thanks for letting me ramble...

Replies

• ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I'm 46, and yeah, finding fitness classes at our gym that aren't full of shallow 20-somethings complaining about how they might get wrinkles if they lose weight just strips any fun there is out of it.

Honestly, though, you don't need to go to the gym. Go to Walmart fitness section and pick up some dumbbells and a set of the rubber fitness bands. (I get the Golds Gym bars and then I can just add more weights as I improve). You'll spend about the same as a $20 class. Check out some of the Pilates DVDs (Walmart has a decent selection) or watch some free Pilates workouts on Youtube!) You don't need to go to the gym to lift, don't need to go to the gym to work out, and you can bring the classes right into your living room with videos. :) (And you can wear what you want and not have to worry about what anyone else thinks. Except the cat. The cat can be very judgmental, especially about footwear.) ;)

If you're one of those people who really enjoys classes, instead of checking the gym, check with your local community centers and YMCA- A lot of time the classes are cheaper and the people involved are of wider backgrounds and age-groups. The hip hop class at our community center has 60 and 70 year olds in there with the teen-agers, just hippin and hoppin and having a blast.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    It is always good to have a ramble.

I think you know what to do. Ditch the barre and go back to the gym and lift, jog. If that is what you like to do, do it.
    The gym is still close enough to get to 3 days a week.

Congrats on the new job and moving in with your fella.

Cheers, h.
  • joyzoso
    joyzoso Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'm 46, and yeah, finding fitness classes at our gym that aren't full of shallow 20-somethings complaining about how they might get wrinkles if they lose weight just strips any fun there is out of it.

Honestly, though, you don't need to go to the gym. Go to Walmart fitness section and pick up some dumbbells and a set of the rubber fitness bands. (I get the Golds Gym bars and then I can just add more weights as I improve). You'll spend about the same as a $20 class. Check out some of the Pilates DVDs (Walmart has a decent selection) or watch some free Pilates workouts on Youtube!) You don't need to go to the gym to lift, don't need to go to the gym to work out, and you can bring the classes right into your living room with videos. :) (And you can wear what you want and not have to worry about what anyone else thinks. Except the cat. The cat can be very judgmental, especially about footwear.) ;)

If you're one of those people who really enjoys classes, instead of checking the gym, check with your local community centers and YMCA- A lot of time the classes are cheaper and the people involved are of wider backgrounds and age-groups. The hip hop class at our community center has 60 and 70 year olds in there with the teen-agers, just hippin and hoppin and having a blast.

My cat is very judgmental!
    It is always good to have a ramble.

I think you know what to do. Ditch the barre and go back to the gym and lift, jog. If that is what you like to do, do it.
    The gym is still close enough to get to 3 days a week.

Congrats on the new job and moving in with your fella.

Cheers, h.

Indeed. Pick up an espresso after work and get to it.

Thank you!

• dizzieblondeuk
    dizzieblondeuk Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I felt that way about a Les Mills class I attended - not the class contents itself, but the participants and instructor weren't particularly welcoming to me. My Barre class, on the other hand, couldn't have been more accepting, and more perfect for me. The teacher (an ex-dancer, also highly qualified plates instructor) works everyone really hard, but understands good form, and what individuals can do at their particular fitness level. I also don't pay anywhere near $20! More like £7.50! Don't feel obligated to stick with any exercise routine that you don't enjoy - there's so much choice these days, that I just couldn't bear doing something I didn't enjoy.

Part of the reason people are successful at long-term exercise plans is that they find things they love, and keep doing them until it becomes such a habit that it's completely second nature to them. Exercise, in my opinion, shouldn't feel like a punishment just to walk into a class/gym - although feeling like hard work is OK!!!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    If the issue is not liking the gym or the classes there or convenience, what worked for me (and did in the past) is finding a gym I liked right by my office. I know myself enough to know this makes a huge difference as to whether I go regularly, and therefore it's worth it to me to just make something so much easier.

As an added benefit, the gyms by the workplace I've joined are ones where everyone else also seems to be fitting in a workout around work (including in the classes, even the barre class) ;-), and of course has some obvious timing patterns that you can avoid if you have a flexible schedule.

You shouldn't feel you need a gym, of course, there are loads of exercises you can do without it (in the summer I mostly bike and run outdoors).
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Can you find a gym closer to your new place? I can't imagine having to spend $20 per class either!
  • Heartlight441
    Heartlight441 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    You know you can find Barre classes on YouTube and online subscriptions! I'm not doing this now but it's on my list to try in the future!! ;)
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    It's okay to try new things and decide you didn't like it. That just means you tried and know a little better what you like and don't like. I think more people should spread their wings, step out of their comfort zone and try new things.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    joyzoso wrote: »
    Do you ever go through this, knowing what is right, trying to be as efficient as possible, getting completely down despite other aspects of your life going really well? Is this all because I am turning 40 in 2 months? Gah!

Jogging and lifting weights. To me this is the ultimate combo for fat burning when it comes to efficiency. I just want to drop grasping for new things and get my *kitten* back in the game. Focus factor and such.

Thanks for letting me ramble...

Do what works for you. Jog and lift weights if that is your thing.

I have not been to a gym or a class. It isn't an option where I live. I prefer to exercise solo. There are tons of free workout videos on you tube for free and I use those to try different things.

I kind of really like being on the other side of 40. It feels very freeing to me compared to my 20's or 30's. I know who I am and care so much less about what other people think or do.

• steph2strong
    steph2strong Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    It's great that you tried something new, too bad it didn't work out. I've always wanted to be one of those pilates/barre/yoga/boutique fitness class people, I forced myself for years to incorporate the classes into my workout routine, but i never looked forward to them and always felt out of place. I like to work out hard, get sweaty and ugly, don't want to have to "dress up", put on makeup or do my hair. I also have limited time to workout and it always made me so disappointed when that one hour of me time i had was wasted on something that didn't make me feel great afterwards. So i finally conceded to the fact that going to these outside studios was not for me and cancelled my memberships. i am happiest working out at home in my own gym and environment, and it is very convenient, i don't have to waste any time getting to a gym and can fit working out in between other things i need to get done in the house.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I have done Jazzercise and yoga, and nope, nobody is in there all made up and looking cute, they just come to work out. It may depend on your city though. I really like going to an organized fitness class with a teacher, it helps a lot.

Dancing for an hour leaves me feeling really great, better than any other kind of workout. I think it satisfies something in my soul, not just body. Ballet, bellydancing, even silly Jazzercise, all of them work better for me than running or lifting.

But as all the dancey fitness classes are out in the suburbs but yoga studio is 1 mile away from me, and there is a good assortment of plates and 2 bars in the garage, courtesy of the fiance, what I do at this time in my life is jogging, yoga, and some lifting.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Totally depends on the gym.
  • geministyle67
    geministyle67 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to pop in here and say I'm on the verge of turning 49 and my 40's have been my BEST DECADE EVER!

Welcome to the club! :)
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Lift and jog! You're speaking my language.

41 years old, and feeling and looking as good, if not better, than I did in my 20's. I'm loving my 40's so far!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    joyzoso wrote: »
    Jogging and lifting weights. To me this is the ultimate combo for fat burning when it comes to efficiency. I just want to drop grasping for new things and get my *kitten* back in the game.

It's fun to try new things once in a while, but I'm also a big fan of getting to the point and doing what I know works well for me. Since it sounds like you already know what works for you, get out there and do it! You got this!

P.S. Jogging and weights works for me, too. B)
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    ...my 40's have been my BEST DECADE EVER!

Agreed! It's been amazing so far... <3

• MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    ...my 40's have been my BEST DECADE EVER!

Agreed! It's been amazing so far... <3

Loving the 40's too!

If you know that jogging and lifting weights are your thing, then go for it. You don't need a gym if there is not one close to you. Get some weights for home and start pounding the pavement. You can do it! :smile:
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Turning 40 was a hard transition for me; hang tough it will lighten up!
    The real always kicks whoopass on the ideal, so start small and do what you can. Think of it as a large knitting pattern and add a stitch when what you are already doing feels easier. A slightly frayed month of overall consistency will get you further than isolated days of ambitious perfection followed by nothing.
  • Nachise
    Nachise Posts: 395 Member
    Options

I'm 64, and I need to go to the gym to get the results I'm looking for. I don't need the distractions from my husband. I don't need the distractions from the phone, the pile of laundry that needs to be done, or the garden that I think needs my immediate attention. I don't need to go to WalMart, either. I don't patronize stores that exploit their employees to the point that they need to go on public assistance to feed their families.

• celadontea
    celadontea Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I was the chubbiest person in my yoga classes that I attended for 3 months. I don't care :) I used to be really anxious and imagine what other people thought of me, or assumed about me, but that's all it is-- assumption and imagination. The reality is I'm a person that wants to be fit and take yoga (and barre so I can relate to this, but I can't afford the barre in my area so I am doing an at home system). If someone happens to look at my body and judge me that's their issue that they are caught up in. It has nothing to do with me.