Best Donuts

Options
bpetrosky
bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
I know the donut craze has somewhat peaked, but I still like to get one as an occasional treat and I've met my other goals for the day. I haven't found a good place since my most recent move, but I'm now in Tim Horton's territory, and they're not bad.

I really miss Sublime Donuts down in Atlanta though. So. Good.

What's your favorite place? Old chain standbys like Dunkin Donuts or Krispy Kreme, or something local?

Replies

• zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Around here is a place called duck donuts... They make a fresh right in front of you maple glazed donut sprinkled with real bacon bits. Sounds awful but the sweet salty combo is delicious.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    We don't even have a krispy kreme in my town . its total bs. I want to taste one because everyone on here talks about them so much !

I don't like dunkin donuts very much, their stuff tastes old and dry at times.

I do love this little mom and pops bakery near my job. They've been there 60 yrs and still make the best donuts, sticky buns and cookies. They bake them fresh each morning ! Goes great with a cup of coffee!

If I ever get to taste a krispy kreme , I'll let you know ! ( my sister claims we had it once but I don't remember!)
  • bpetrosky
    Options
    Sublime did a maple bacon donut, too. I think Voodoo Donuts in Portland might have been the first to do it.
  • chimaerandi
    chimaerandi Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    ALL OF THEM. I love donuts so much, easily my fav indulgence. We have a bakery here called log cabin bakery that makes a pershing donut with chocolate on top and I adore it.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Krispy Kreme. They're simple and warm when fresh, the way a donut should be. I don't like gourmet or fussy donuts (anything much beyond a glazed or chocolate glazed).
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Definitely not a chain. If I'm going to get a doughnut it's going to be from a fresh/artisan bakery.
  • zoeysasha37
    Options
    I'm jealous! I do not know of any of these places that you guys have mentioned. I guess I'll be stuck over here ,grazing on dunkin donuts dry shriveled up donuts while you guys get the good stuff :(
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Local doughnut shops all the way. Maple bacon bars are amazing, if you can find a good one with plenty of bacon! We have a couple of fancy doughnut places: Strange Doughnuts and Vincent Van Doughnut, that do crazy flavors like gooey butter cake, Elvis (PB&Banana), Oreo, etc.

I like the old school ones though where the racks are so well used you can imagine decades of frosting dripping down from them...
  • bpetrosky
    Options
    Krispy Kreme. They're simple and warm when fresh, the way a donut should be. I don't like gourmet or fussy donuts (anything much beyond a glazed or chocolate glazed).

KK glazed donuts when they're hot are wonderful. I don't care for their cake or filled donuts, but when they turn on the hot donuts now sign it's worth a stop.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    I'm jealous! I do not know of any of these places that you guys have mentioned. I guess I'll be stuck over here ,grazing on dunkin donuts dry shriveled up donuts while you guys get the good stuff :(

Come see me in NYC and we can get donuts :)
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Sadly I can name a half dozen or more great donut places in Chicago. Mom and pop places rule! Dat donuts and Calumet Bakery are my favs..both on the south side..and their donuts are under a dollar. A chocolate cake or toasted coconut are my go to. High end places like Stan's who make a Biscoff donut are an expensive treat at close to $3 ea. Krispy Kreme is only good when they're hot. Dunkin donuts are a waste of money and calories.
  • zoeysasha37
    Options
    I may have to start a petition or something because I have none of these places even close to me! Yes I did a Google search ! Lmao !
  • bpetrosky
    Options
    If you get down to Atlanta....

http://www.sublimedoughnuts.com/
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Definitely not a chain. If I'm going to get a doughnut it's going to be from a fresh/artisan bakery.

I'm just going to put this here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cugsup-Ylzg
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Krispy Kreme donuts are best with a bacon cheeseburger sandwiched between them...
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Some rare weekends I make my own. My best donut is an apple cider donut. I reduce the apple cider down on the stove until it's thick and flavorful....this is the only baked donut that even comes close to a fried donut.
  • Peter_Brady
    Peter_Brady Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    Mary's Donuts at Rogers Ohio Open Air Market
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    My favorite donut growing up was the sour cream glazed donut from Tim Hortons.

I might get shamed for this, but I think krispy kreme donuts are overrated. Too fluffy and too sweet - I like more body to the food I eat! :)
  • zoeysasha37
    edited May 2016
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    thorsmom01 wrote: »

Come see me in NYC and we can get donuts :)

I'll actually be there Saturday but I'll be in rego park