2 tbsp coconut oil

Options

I want to start a diet comprisibg of 2 tbsp of coconut oil...but will stay around 1200 calories...will i still loose weight

Replies

• socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    You mean lose weight - 2 tbsp will work out to 240 calories, leaving you with 960 calories per day - does that make sense.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Weight loss is about calories. If you want to fit coconut in there for whatever reason, you can. But IMO, that is a a lot of calories for such little benefit. But then again, you have to figure out if 1200 calories is right for you and understand that is preworkout calories. When you exercise or if you are lean, that might not be the right calorie goal for you. But if you want to address question, we need a lot more data.
  • MindPump1
    MindPump1 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of health benefits of coconut oil. I have been using it mainly been using it when cooking my food however there are a lot more variations and uses out there. It is a little high in calories, and being restricted in your calories may take away from other foods, but it does help with weight loss so I wouldn't rule it out in your daily food. Here is a good article on the health benefits.
    http://www.organicfacts.net/health-benefits/oils/health-benefits-of-coconut-oil.html
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    And the purpose of it is what?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Enjcg5 wrote: »
    I personally rather have 2T of peanut butter for the same amount of calories.

Agreed.
  • hassankarimi82
    hassankarimi82 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    You may as well use the calories in the coconut oil and just eat proper food. Seems a waste to me. A deficit in calories will result in weight loss, regardless of what you eat. You can eat junk food and lose weight, provided you remain in a calorie deficit.
  • MindPump1
    Options
    You may as well use the calories in the coconut oil and just eat proper food. Seems a waste to me. A deficit in calories will result in weight loss, regardless of what you eat. You can eat junk food and lose weight, provided you remain in a calorie deficit.

But why not take advantage of food that will provide great health benefits? Sure you CAN eat junk food and lose weight....but why would you want to put that into your body? Diversify your foods and eat a variety of foods. Eating with more variety will give you diverse gut floras and in turn help with fat loss, and better athletic performance.
  • hassankarimi82
    edited May 2016
    Options
    mindpump1 wrote:
    But why not take advantage of food that will provide great health benefits? Sure you CAN eat junk food and lose weight....but why would you want to put that into your body? Diversify your foods and eat a variety of foods. Eating with more variety will give you diverse gut floras and in turn help with fat loss, and better athletic performance.

Yeah, of course. But it seems a waste just having 2 tablespoons of coconut oil when you can have something more substantial and satisfying with equal amounts of 'health' benefits.
  • MindPump1
    edited May 2016
    Options
    mindpump1 wrote:

Yeah, of course. But it seems a waste just having 2 tablespoons of coconut oil when you can have something more substantial and satisfying with equal amounts of 'health' benefits.

I can see the "satisfying" part coming into the equation. You want to feel like you actually ate something after your done, I understand. For me, I have been eating Keto for the past 2 months, so I consume a diet high in fat, and one of those is coconut oil. Honestly, I don't have that "satisfying" feeling anymore, because along with Keto, I fast, and I have taught myself that I don't live to eat. Every person is different, so it really comes down to ultimately what else are they consuming throughout the day, and are they willing to sacrifice something for those 2 tablespoons, or are they going to just add them to the 1200 calories?
  • hassankarimi82
    edited May 2016
    Options
    mindpump1 wrote:
    I can see the "satisfying" part coming into the equation. You want to feel like you actually ate something after your done, I understand. For me, I have been eating Keto for the past 2 months, so I consume a diet high in fat, and one of those is coconut oil. Honestly, I don't have that "satisfying" feeling anymore, because along with Keto, I fast, and I have taught myself that I don't live to eat. Every person is different, so it really comes down to ultimately what else are they consuming throughout the day, and are they willing to sacrifice something for those 2 tablespoons, or are they going to just add them to the 1200 calories?

I think everyone can agree, that a plate full of quality food is better than two tablespoons of anything, regardless of benefits. Nobody should be starving themselves to lose weight. Its about changing your lifestyle and being consistent. But 1200 calories is meaningless. Yes, you need to be in a calories deficit to lose weight, but ultimately you have to make those calories count themselves. Just eat properly!!
  • MindPump1
    edited May 2016
    Options
    mindpump1 wrote:

I think everyone can agree, that a plate full of quality food is better than two tablespoons of anything, regardless of benefits. Nobody should be starving themselves to lose weight. Its about changing your lifestyle and being consistent. But 1200 calories is meaningless. Yes, you need to be in a calories deficit to lose weight, but ultimately you have to make those calories count themselves. Just eat properly!!

Usually when I plan my day, I fill it out with food till hit at least 1200, then I do another 300-500 calories in oils, and butters. I feel fantastic, and I have lost 20 pounds in the last 2 months. It is all about keeping your plate proper like eating veggies, a variety of meats, fruits, nuts, grains, yet people make it so complicated.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Are we talking about straight up eating tablespoons of coconut oil or are we talking about using it in a recipe or to cook something (e.g., I use coconut oil in the pan when I make scrambled eggs)?
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    MindPump1 wrote: »
    mindpump1 wrote:

I see where you're coming from as you're a Keto-er. But, think of it this way. Would you rather eat 240 calories of plain coconut oil, or two eggs and avocado? Now, which do you think the general population (non-keto) would find more satisfying? Likely the latter.

Losing weight is plain hard for many, and feeling satisfied in the beginning is extremely important for them to stay on the right track.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    The OP stated in another thread he puts it in water so I am guessing he drinks it?
  • hassankarimi82
    Options
    It's good in coffee, with cream. Delicious.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    It's also good to fry up some mozzarella sticks.
  • MindPump1
    Options
    ASKyle wrote: »
    MindPump1 wrote: »
    mindpump1 wrote:

I see where you're coming from as you're a Keto-er. But, think of it this way. Would you rather eat 240 calories of plain coconut oil, or two eggs and avocado? Now, which do you think the general population (non-keto) would find more satisfying? Likely the latter.

Losing weight is plain hard for many, and feeling satisfied in the beginning is extremely important for them to stay on the right track.

I'm all for eating 2 eggs and an avocado. I do that often. I would actually cook my eggs and avocado IN coconut oil! I usually don't pay to much attention to the amount of calories that it adds, because I know I will generally burn them off when I head to the gym and lift. For those who do not lift, and need to track, I would recommend tracking. Cooking in coconut oil is better then butter/vegetable oils so that is an alternative too.