walking

asmitty1992
asmitty1992 Posts: 71 Member
edited May 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I do not need negative comments. I just wanted to know has any one lost legit weight off of walking throughout the week and clean eating. I will be adding cardio and weight lifting. Is walking a waste of time???????

Replies

• kearly206
    kearly206 Posts: 63 Member
    No walking is not a waste of time. I walk, I run, but if I couldn't run I would walk for 30 minutes on an incline if you're able to. Walking is great along with any exercise its better than doing nothing
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    edited May 2016
    Long answer, my opinion only: I think walking will help you maintain as long as you do not overeat. Now if you are extremely overweight\obese and have done zero activity, walking will help in the beginning, but you will eventually have to move on. Plus you would need to do more than a leisurely stroll, you will have to get your heart pumping.

Short answer, no, walking is not a waste of time.
  • asmitty1992
    I am 28 pounds down from just clean eating. I am now adding exercise. I want to lift a few days and add some cardio videos the rest. I do not want the gym. I want to start walking and have had many people tell me it's a waste of time?
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,970 Member
    I walk every day and eat a a calorie deficit. I don't do clean eating or anything like that. I just eat what I always ate at smaller portions. I don't think that walking is a waste of time, but for weight loss you don't need to walk or do cardio or strength training. Those are good for your overall fitness, but to lose weight eat at a deficit. It doesn't matter if you eat clean or vegan or paleo or whatever. Eat what you like at a deficit and you will lose weight.
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    If walking helps you create a calorie deficit than yes it will help you lose weight. However I am confused as to why the use of so many question marks was necessary... :huh:
  • jackslovely
    jackslovely Posts: 45 Member
    I eat 1200 calories a day and try to walk at least 30 minutes a day, i work 10 hours shifts at a desk and some days its hard to get my steps in, and have lost 17lbs since the beginning of March.
  • asmitty1992
    edited May 2016
  • TravisJHunt
    TravisJHunt Posts: 533 Member
    Anything you do that burns calories is going to help you lose weight if what you eat is less calories than what you burn.
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Walking is certainly not a waste of time. Anything you do to burn more calories and help you get into a deficit is a good thing. And I have only intermittently been using strength training but have been largely walking. My body is changing in good ways and I feel great. I am down almost 50 lbs. since starting to count calories and exercise more.
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Walking is not a waste of time. It will help you continue on your weight loss journey as long as you walk fast enough to break a bit of a sweat, and do it for at least 20 minutes a day.
  • WithWhatsLeft
    WithWhatsLeft Posts: 196 Member
    Walking is never a waste of time. Get a good pace going and enjoy it. We were built to walk.

But, you aren't going to lose weight unless you are in a calorie deficit - as everyone else is pointing out.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited May 2016
    I am 28 pounds down from just clean eating. I am now adding exercise. I want to lift a few days and add some cardio videos the rest. I do not want the gym. I want to start walking and have had many people tell me it's a waste of time?

If you enjoy it, do it.
    If you are doing it as a starting exercise to other things it is fine.
    If you are doing it as a way of getting from point a to b, you might have better options.
    If it is all one can do, it is good.

As an optimal strategy to increase calorie burn effectively and lose weight, it is probably a waste of time.
    But it is always much better than doing nothing.

It really depends on your goals - and what walking gives you.
    Don't base your decision on unreasoned opinion - why are people telling you it is a waste of time?
  • mespreeman
    mespreeman Posts: 70 Member
    Down 45 lbs with walking being the majority of my exercise.

Just added strength training 3 weeks ago.
  • pcpop7
    pcpop7 Posts: 161 Member
    When I first started I did loads of walks Mainly to get more stuff to eat. Lol.

I have been at goal a couple of years bulking cutting cycles but at goal. I still walk about 10 miles a day now. Cause I love it.

Walking is a form of cardio and can get pretty intense depending on what you are actually doing. Speed/incline I am often passing joggers on my walks so I try not to distinguish too much between what is walking/jogging/running I have my own cardio goals and I'm not competing with anyone.