4 Politically Correct Fitness Lies

Options
My guess is that this will resonate with some and upset others. Then again, that could describe every post on here, so here you go.

Even though I'm growing tired of any reference to "PC," be it positive or negative, I thought this was worth a read, and I generally like what Dani Shugart has to say. I particularly enjoyed the point about self esteem. "Need a self-esteem boost? Do something worthy of esteem. Do work."

https://www.t-nation.com/powerful-words/4-politically-correct-fitness-lies

Replies

• tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options
    Good article. I agree with it. Regardless of the topic there is no one-best-method or way of thinking for every one and every situation.

I JUST used the "never compare yourself to others" phrase in a post just a while ago, but it was in regard to how much you sweat compared to others, so that was an unequal comparison. Comparison is good when it is approached from a mentally healthy state and if it encourages you to try harder.
  • hstoblish
    hstoblish Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Meh, I disagreed with most of it. It's entirely possible to love your own body without broadcasting it (I agree that it comes across as false when shouted from the rooftops, hit that's not my own battle). I've literally never said this out loud, but the advice to work out because you love your body rather than because you hate it, really helped me. And "modesty shaming" made me laugh my *kitten* off. It's coo, with me if you want to flaunt what you've got and it's cool with me if you don't. Personally, selfies etc aren't my thing, but there are so many bigger problems in the world than young women who think they're pretty taking photos of themselves.

I don't know... Usually I like T-nation but this felt like click bait, though there were a couple of good points, like on competition etc.
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I LOVE #2! I've been saying this for years and been told to shut up! It's true, if we didn't judge people we would have close relationships with everyone we meet, and we don't.

#1 is also golden. Instead of forcing yourself to love your body unconditionally, change it so you can love it.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    hstoblish wrote: »
    Meh, I disagreed with most of it. It's entirely possible to love your own body without broadcasting it (I agree that it comes across as false when shouted from the rooftops, hit that's not my own battle). I've literally never said this out loud, but the advice to work out because you love your body rather than because you hate it, really helped me. And "modesty shaming" made me laugh my *kitten* off. It's coo, with me if you want to flaunt what you've got and it's cool with me if you don't. Personally, selfies etc aren't my thing, but there are so many bigger problems in the world than young women who think they're pretty taking photos of themselves.

I don't know... Usually I like T-nation but this felt like click bait, though there were a couple of good points, like on competition etc.

I think we put our own emphasis on different parts. I suppose that's the norm with anything motivational
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Sounds about right!
  • hstoblish
    Options

I think we put our own emphasis on different parts. I suppose that's the norm with anything motivational

I think so too. For me, this didn't resonate, but clearly others found it helpful. Personally, I just found this had less to do with fitness and more to do with justifying judging people who take a different approach.
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Wow, lots of Slut Shaming happening. Laaaaaaaaaame.
  • hstoblish
    Options
    Wow, lots of Slut Shaming happening. Laaaaaaaaaame.

Are you sure you're not just "modest shaming?" /sarcasm.
  • sunnybeaches105
    edited May 2016
    Options

I think so too. For me, this didn't resonate, but clearly others found it helpful. Personally, I just found this had less to do with fitness and more to do with justifying judging people who take a different approach.

meh - people judge. I find that self proclaimed victims judge more than others while simultaneously whining about being judged. At least the author owns it. She's certainly earned her opinions about fitness
  • hstoblish
    Options

meh - people judge. I find that self proclaimed victims judge more than others while simultaneously whining about being judged. At least the author owns it. She's certainly earned her opinions about fitness

I think there is a while victim, perpetrator cycle that is hard to break unless you just want to step out of it and shrug it off. Personally, I don't feel judged by the article, because I don't actually do the things he's talking about here - aside from the fact that I try to come at fitness from a place of love/self care instead of punishing myself for somehow having a body wrong. And if someone wants to judge me for that, I really don't care. That's their own issue and probably has nothing to do with me. However, if someone wants to blast someone else for having confidence, I'll stand up to that because, how is a fat person being comfortable in their body an actual problem? And who benefits from knocking that person down a peg? I'm just sick of he whole cycle.

From the title I was hoping they'd talk about some of the weird differences between prioritizing cardio or weightlifting, or the fact that diet soda isn't all that bad for you etc. Normally I just don't click, but this time I did and now I just need to shake it off and move on.
  • sunnybeaches105
    Options

I think there is a while victim, perpetrator cycle that is hard to break unless you just want to step out of it and shrug it off. Personally, I don't feel judged by the article, because I don't actually do the things he's talking about here - aside from the fact that I try to come at fitness from a place of love/self care instead of punishing myself for somehow having a body wrong. And if someone wants to judge me for that, I really don't care. That's their own issue and probably has nothing to do with me. However, if someone wants to blast someone else for having confidence, I'll stand up to that because, how is a fat person being comfortable in their body an actual problem? And who benefits from knocking that person down a peg? I'm just sick of he whole cycle.

From the title I was hoping they'd talk about some of the weird differences between prioritizing cardio or weightlifting, or the fact that diet soda isn't all that bad for you etc. Normally I just don't click, but this time I did and now I just need to shake it off and move on.

The article seems to have struck a nerve.
  • hstoblish
    Options

I'm mostly just at home and bored.
  • sunnybeaches105
    Options

lol - you and me both

Heading out for legs day though
  • hstoblish
    Options

lol - you and me both

Smart! I might go for a run when someone else can watch the kids. Get away from the screens.
  • sunnybeaches105
    Options

lol - you and me both

Smart! I might go for a run when someone else can watch the kids. Get away from the screens.

Agreed. I swear the forums can be counterproductive to, you know? Actual exercise.
  • shank35l
    shank35l Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Great article I think.
  • hstoblish
    Options

lol - you and me both

Agreed. I swear the forums can be counterproductive to, you know? Actual exercise.

Yes! After my last pregnancy I found the forums helpful, but this time I'm finding that to be less the case. I think it's just that this time, I know what I need to do and I just need to do it.
  • sashayoung72
    sashayoung72 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    This "And if you're going to put Bible verses in your bio, maybe we shouldn't be seeing so much of your cervix." I think that's some of the most ridiculous crap on IG.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,208 MFP Moderator
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Wait - we got to see someone's cervix? AND a bible verse?
    9wjwu.jpg

Anyway, Love this article - thanks for sharing. It's human nature to compare yourself to others. It's human nature to be critical of yourself. Those things CAN be good things, if we're using the comparisons to make ourselves better.

BUT - all the PC 'self-love' crap comes from a 'good place', I think. Society shoves a very photo-shopped version of the 'ideal' at us. Learning to love ourselves even with imperfections is a good thing. I do agree that it's been taken a bit too far lately, though. A modest amount of modesty (ha) never hurt anyone.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    JustSomeEm wrote: »
    Wait - we got to see someone's cervix? AND a bible verse?

I swear I was only reading it for the bible verse! :innocent: