4 Politically Correct Fitness Lies

Options

Replies

• deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    I dunno - I disagreed with #1 right off the bat. I love my perfectly imperfect body, but it's not a lie that I tell myself to keep from progressing. My current personal motto about my body and fitness is "happy, but never satisfied." Meaning that I can love my body now and appreciate the hard work it's taken me to get to this (admittedly pretty average) fitness level, but there is always room for improvement and achievement. The two don't have to be mutually exclusive.
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    This "And if you're going to put Bible verses in your bio, maybe we shouldn't be seeing so much of your cervix." I think that's some of the most ridiculous crap on IG.

Wait--people actually put pictures of their cervices on IG?
  • callmecarina
    callmecarina Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    hstoblish wrote: »
    However, if someone wants to blast someone else for having confidence, I'll stand up to that because, how is a fat person being comfortable in their body an actual problem? And who benefits from knocking that person down a peg? I'm just sick of he whole cycle.

This.

Listen, it's awesome, and amazing what the human body is capable of. Virtually every single human is capable of getting fit, building muscle, and looking good. But the human mind is entirely another matter. The brain develops differently for every person. Some people do very well and get motivated with harsh criticism. Others shut down, and others still may have unbelievable traumas and experiences that they are dealing with that many other people are lucky to never experience.

If someone else is happy with themselves, or even if they aren't, it's none of your business to tell them otherwise if they aren't asking for your opinion. You can't help someone that will not (or cannot) help themselves.

The thing about people whining about not being able to say anything because is politically incorrect nowadays is that no one is thought policing you, and no one is telling you not to think it. They're telling you not to say the hurtful things aloud because it doesn't help anything. Often, it seems to me that people use it as an excuse to bully other people and feel superior (on a conscious or subconscious level, even mildly).

That being said, I want it to be clear that this is directed at the author of the article, not you fine MFPers that so far seem to have to good sense to only promote positivity. :)
  • callmecarina
    Options
    One more thing I've noticed is that one argument often is "it's about their health. They're sucking up valuable resources in our healthcare system!" Few things that bug me about that.

1) You cannot make a snap judgement about a person's health based on looks. You don't know that the health issue caused the weight gain in the first place (although it's often true, you still don't KNOW for certain.) There are people battling cancer that look totally "normal," and you can't tell. Don't judge a book...

2) Why aren't people as passionate about smoking and alcohol. Those are both known to be detrimental to one's health, yet you don't have nearly the same amount of people preaching about the suck on the healthcare system, and the valuable police/ambulance resources they use up when they cause accidents and even death. I've never heard of someone dying because someone else is fat.

Yes, you can judge. But it's taboo in society for a reason. No one like unsolicited preaching, and it's generally not helpful. When the student is ready, the master will appear. Any time before then, you're just being mean.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I think the writer has probably willfully misunderstood a number of issues, or she is completely blind to the misery of others. You can want to change your body whilst also loving it, and it doesn't have to be the centre of your world for you to do so.

I do agree with some of the content of what she says, but I don't find that tone motivating in the slightest. For example, judging someone for eating popcorn or going to a buffet is ridiculous. I realised at a buffet that some of the larger clients could probably only afford to eat out and reach their TDEE by eating at a buffet, but this is the UK where restaurant portions are smaller, as a rule. And you can eat moderately at a buffet, and you should never judge someone's eating on a single snap-shot. Either this woman isn't very bright or she's just looking for stupid people to agree with her.

I could pick apart her logic for hours, but I'll let someone else have a go.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    One more thing I've noticed is that one argument often is "it's about their health. They're sucking up valuable resources in our healthcare system!" Few things that bug me about that.

1) You cannot make a snap judgement about a person's health based on looks. You don't know that the health issue caused the weight gain in the first place (although it's often true, you still don't KNOW for certain.) There are people battling cancer that look totally "normal," and you can't tell. Don't judge a book...

2) Why aren't people as passionate about smoking and alcohol. Those are both known to be detrimental to one's health, yet you don't have nearly the same amount of people preaching about the suck on the healthcare system, and the valuable police/ambulance resources they use up when they cause accidents and even death. I've never heard of someone dying because someone else is fat.

Yes, you can judge. But it's taboo in society for a reason. No one like unsolicited preaching, and it's generally not helpful. When the student is ready, the master will appear. Any time before then, you're just being mean.

Huh? This seems way out of left field . . . I'm definitely judging, especially the cancer reference and that student master thing. Not mean. Just judging. Intentional non sequitur?

Also, not sure where the healthcare, smoking, drinking thing came from. Not in the article. If someone is smoking around me though I'm judging. Feel better?

Then again, I'm probably drinking so I can tolerate others while I'm judging them. I could certainly use one now.
  • Isabelle_1929
    Isabelle_1929 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    "They like to brag about this idea too: "I only train for performance." Performing what? Mirror selfies? "

:D
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    My guess is that this will resonate with some and upset others. Then again, that could describe every post on here, so here you go.

Even though I'm growing tired of any reference to "PC," be it positive or negative, I thought this was worth a read, and I generally like what Dani Shugart has to say. I particularly enjoyed the point about self esteem. "Need a self-esteem boost? Do something worthy of esteem. Do work."

https://www.t-nation.com/powerful-words/4-politically-correct-fitness-lies

Dani has her act together. I like the bolded also.
  • sunnybeaches105
    Options
    As expected, some people have thicker skin than others.
  • callmecarina
    Options

Of course. That's the point, and I think that's why all this "PC" stuff was started to begin with.

Not everyone is built that same way you are, and can take the criticisms in stride as you do. My previous posts were a long-winded explanation of that fact. The point is there's nothing wrong with people being more sensitive than you. Just because you don't experience feelings in the same way doesn't mean you can invalidate someone else's feelings. That's how Dani's article came off to me, which is unfortunate because she still did list some great advice.

Good for Dani for being the healthiest person she can be! But as is the case with diet and exercise, in life and in general "your mileage may vary." :)
  • callmecarina
    Options

Huh? This seems way out of left field . . . I'm definitely judging, especially the cancer reference and that student master thing. Not mean. Just judging. Intentional non sequitur?

Also, not sure where the healthcare, smoking, drinking thing came from. Not in the article. If someone is smoking around me though I'm judging. Feel better?

Then again, I'm probably drinking so I can tolerate others while I'm judging them. I could certainly use one now.

I do agree it's out of left field, but I wanted to make this point before anyone thought they could use the "healthcare system" argument, which inevitably always happens when discussing the PCness of weight shaming. Heh.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,711 Member
    Options

Ditto! I can relate to this.
  • sunnybeaches105
    Options

Of course. That's the point, and I think that's why all this "PC" stuff was started to begin with.

Not everyone is built that same way you are, and can take the criticisms in stride as you do. My previous posts were a long-winded explanation of that fact. The point is there's nothing wrong with people being more sensitive than you. Just because you don't experience feelings in the same way doesn't mean you can invalidate someone else's feelings. That's how Dani's article came off to me, which is unfortunate because she still did list some great advice.

Good for Dani for being the healthiest person she can be! But as is the case with diet and exercise, in life and in general "your mileage may vary." :)

I've found that when looking to increase one's mileage in life that a lack of whining, plenty of hard work, and the ability to shrug off a good amount of other's BS go a very long way. If you care more about other's sensitivity to your needs than your own progress then that's fine, but it comes at a cost like it or not.

• callmecarina
    Options
    I've found that when looking to increase one's mileage in life that a lack of whining, plenty of hard work, and the ability to shrug off a good amount of other's BS go a very long way. If you care more about other's sensitivity to your needs than your own progress then that's fine, but it comes at a cost like it or not.
    That's the truth for sure, but I can't turn it off. I care about people and have this funny little thing called empathy. It's the reason why despite the fact that I vehemently don't agree with you, I can still see past that and not attack or judge you personally. (And even though it's apparent that you have thick skin, I still hope you don't take any of this debating personally! :smile:)

That's kinda why it boggles my mind that if other people would bother saying anything in the first place. If you can shrug off BS, cool. But why project BS onto others too? If it doesn't actually help others (which there seems to be research and experience that shows that by and large this is the case) then it's only self-serving because it doesn't actually help others, it's just another excuse to go on about yourself and what worked for you.

Why is it that the diet/fitness industry is so lucrative and doing so well if all that humans need is to stop whining, work hard, and shurg off BS. It's likely because this is next to impossible (mentally) for many people.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I like the article. I like it mostly because it's honest. That whole loving the body you have.. you know, I never really bought that. But then I never really spent much time thinking about my body in the first place. I still have the same body - it's just smaller and has lower body fat.

as for #3? hell, yeah, I look a ton better than I did before. I know this because I get "looks" at the gym from guys, who quite frankly could be my kids in another life, and they're giving me "looks" while I'm lifting weights and working out rather than flouncing around and just looking decorative like some of the women their own age are doing.. cough, cough, not judging, of course..
  • sunnybeaches105
    edited May 2016
    Options
    That's the truth for sure, but I can't turn it off. I care about people and have this funny little thing called empathy. It's the reason why despite the fact that I vehemently don't agree with you, I can still see past that and not attack or judge you personally. (And even though it's apparent that you have thick skin, I still hope you don't take any of this debating personally! :smile:)

That's kinda why it boggles my mind that if other people would bother saying anything in the first place. If you can shrug off BS, cool. But why project BS onto others too? If it doesn't actually help others (which there seems to be research and experience that shows that by and large this is the case) then it's only self-serving because it doesn't actually help others, it's just another excuse to go on about yourself and what worked for you.

Why is it that the diet/fitness industry is so lucrative and doing so well if all that humans need is to stop whining, work hard, and shurg off BS. It's likely because this is next to impossible (mentally) for many people.

Self serving for me is fine. I'm not on here for you. This was put out there for people who don't whine and who take work seriously. No one is actually walking up to people and criticizing them, but part of the message is that if you put yourself out there people will judge you. That's life and it's merely a reminder. Speaking of judgment, you're awfully judgy yourself and yet you complain with every post. If the message bothers you then look in the mirror and figure out why. It's not my problem and I'm not going to make it my problem. You're your own person. Find what works for you. Or don't. If you can't shrug it off then you lose, not me. And, to be clear, this isn't a debate. This approach works for quite a few successful people. I'm not here to be your sounding board or debate you. Again, if you don't like it, deal with it. It works for me.
  • callmecarina
    Options

Self serving for me is fine. I'm not on here for you. This was put out there for people who don't whine and who take work seriously. No one is actually walking up to people and criticizing them, but part of the message is that if you put yourself out there people will judge you. That's life and it's merely a reminder. Speaking of judgment, you're awfully judgy yourself and yet you complain with every post. If the message bothers you then look in the mirror and figure out why. It's not my problem and I'm not going to make it my problem. You're your own person. Find what works for you. Or don't. If you can't shrug it off then you lose, not me. And, to be clear, this isn't a debate. This approach works for quite a few successful people. I'm not here to be your sounding board or debate you. Again, if you don't like it, deal with it. It works for me.

If you missed it the first time, I'm with the gal who said that when people take issue with other people poopin' all over other people's self-acceptance. I, personally, happen to have thick skin in that respect (and literally in that I need to lose weight too! :lol:), but I will call out bull when I sees it.

Fair enough, your intention wasn't to make this a debate. But I think what needs to be said is that this approach works for quite a few successful people, but can be detrimental to quite a few others as well. I just wanted to make sure that people don't take this as carte blanche to criticize others and feel okay because someone on a blog said it was.

Yes, I may come off judgy, but let's put it into perspective. I'm critical of the idea that it's okay to be critical to the potential detriment of others, because god forbid we label anything as PC anymore because you're infringing on my rights rather than thinking "well, hell, it's not my body, it's not my issue."

Also, it seems ironic that you're telling me to "deal with it" if I don't like it, because I shouldn't criticize someone else's point that criticizing can be okay.
  • sunnybeaches105
    Options

If you missed it the first time, I'm with the gal who said that when people take issue with other people poopin' all over other people's self-acceptance. I, personally, happen to have thick skin in that respect (and literally in that I need to lose weight too! :lol:), but I will call out bull when I sees it.

Fair enough, your intention wasn't to make this a debate. But I think what needs to be said is that this approach works for quite a few successful people, but can be detrimental to quite a few others as well. I just wanted to make sure that people don't take this as carte blanche to criticize others and feel okay because someone on a blog said it was.

Yes, I may come off judgy, but let's put it into perspective. I'm critical of the idea that it's okay to be critical to the potential detriment of others, because god forbid we label anything as PC anymore because you're infringing on my rights rather than thinking "well, hell, it's not my body, it's not my issue."

Also, it seems ironic that you're telling me to "deal with it" if I don't like it, because I shouldn't criticize someone else's point that criticizing can be okay.

My guess is that it's detrimental to people who need counseling. Your own profile says you have a long way to go and you're not comfortable in your own skin. You may want to step back and consider that when you're reading the article and think about why it bothers you so much. If you want to succeed then spend some time focusing on your own internal dialogue and triggers. I hope you can find your way and achieve your goals.
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Self acceptance is one thing, but having delusions that you're fine the way you are is another. I also think its fine to judge people, but unless its someone close to you, you should be polite. Lets take this lady as an example:

9tssipndzbmz.jpg

Do you think she has a thyroid issue that's making her obese? Or do you think its her eating habits? I can judge her and say, "I'm not going to end up like that," however I'd never make a negative comment to her and offer encouragement as needed. Also, I bet you judged her too when you looked at the picture.