Which cereal brands are good for weight loss??

Options
124»

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    CICO15 wrote: »
    None. The serving on the package is 3/4 cup. That is a bird portion. So many people double it because 3/4 cup provides no satiety.

And because it tastes so damn good (hello, Honey Nut Cheerios), many (like me) eat more and more. So I, with very little self-control when it comes to cereal, I avoid it. It might as well be Ben and Jerry's ice cream.

That's quite a generalization. Many people are able to eat the serving size.
  • hstull82
    hstull82 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I love my rice chex. Gluten free & 50% daily iron per cup.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    SBRRepeat wrote: »
    cityruss wrote: »

kgtpw7jaswew.jpg

Have served me well.

What are these glorious things and where do I find them? That looks like the best cereal in the world.

OP- I'm a fan of virtually all cereals, but I do tend to eat Kashi Go Lean for the extra protein boost.

I can buy this at Walmart!
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    CICO15 wrote: »
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Dragn77 wrote: »
    Totally agree with all of the above, to eat what you like and make it fit into your day.

That being said...oatmeal? boring? Whaaa?! I could eat it every day for the rest of my life and be happy LOL! I think its awesome on its own, but flexible enough that you can add pretty much anything to it for variety. Looove me some oatmeal. But I digress LoL

I like the flavor oatmeal but they all have artificial sugar which is bad

What is bad about artificial sugar? Or are you just repeating something you heard with no factual basis?

http://authoritynutrition.com/10-disturbing-reasons-why-sugar-is-bad/

http://bretcontreras.com/sugar-the-sweet-truth/
  • jholloway05
    jholloway05 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I like Special K chocolate flavored cereal. I've been in Mexico for two years, so I don't know if their version is different from that of the U.S. or if it's changed, but I like for when I feel like being "bad". It's got chocolate covered flakes, and I feel like I'm having dessert. Plus, it's got some good stuff in it, nutritionally speaking.
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    gitarjitsu wrote: »
    Power O's by Love Grown Foods are delicious. They come in Honey, Strawberry, or Chocolate, are relatively low in sugar and are gluten-free as well. They are made from beans and have decent fiber and protein.

I second this opinion & I like the *Made in USA* label. I had to buy the Honey flavor even though I don't eat cereal b/c it's such a cool concept. Very crunchy & surprisingly good tasting!! :yum:
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Another cereal cheer here! I eat grape nuts (with a teaspoon of sugar) several times a week. I like it because its high in fiber, and with the sugar and a half cup of milk quite tasty. Do NOT (I repeat DO NOT) eat it dry. Or without sugar.

Also, skip trying it with orange juice. Trust me on this, its not a good combination. Milk, and sugar. Or you will regret it.

p.s.
    I did not like it hot either. Some people love it hot. Those people are very strange.

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I'd just cry if I put my bowl on my scale, started pouring cereal (Frosted Flakes), and had to stop at the single serving weight. I guess that's why I don't use the stuff anymore.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I'd just cry if I put my bowl on my scale, started pouring cereal (Frosted Flakes), and had to stop at the single serving weight. I guess that's why I don't use the stuff anymore.

Yep it's a pathetic amount. I usually have 80-100g minimum of cereal, doesn't matter which kind.

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    Another cereal cheer here! I eat grape nuts (with a teaspoon of sugar) several times a week. I like it because its high in fiber, and with the sugar and a half cup of milk quite tasty. Do NOT (I repeat DO NOT) eat it dry. Or without sugar.

Also, skip trying it with orange juice. Trust me on this, its not a good combination. Milk, and sugar. Or you will regret it.

p.s.
    I did not like it hot either. Some people love it hot. Those people are very strange.

Meh. I like to live dangerously, and I have dental insurance. ;)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Totally agree with all of the above, to eat what you like and make it fit into your day.

That being said...oatmeal? boring? Whaaa?! I could eat it every day for the rest of my life and be happy LOL! I think its awesome on its own, but flexible enough that you can add pretty much anything to it for variety. Looove me some oatmeal. But I digress LoL

I don't like the taste of artificial sugar. Not sure if you're still around but I flavor plain rolled oats with vanilla yogurt and berries. And add peanut butter, cuz without that fat this doesn't keep me full.

1t79ktql6gp8.png

Obviously, for less calories add less of some thing(s).
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    If there's a cereal you like, as long as it fits into your daily calorie goal, eat it! None are "bad" for weight loss unless you eat too much.
    When it comes to weight loss, usually it isn't WHAT you eat (unless you have certain medical conditons), it's how much of it.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Google overnight oatmeal. You can vary it with seeds, nuts, fruits. Canned pumpkin and a dash of cinnamon and a sprinkle of nuts is amazing. If you cook a pot of whole grains, put a scoop in your bowl and call it cereal.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options

It takes 2 minutes and 30 seconds in the microwave to prepare REAL old-fashioned oatmeal--no additives. Add a small amount of raisins, Crasins or other dried fruit, top it with fresh or frozen fruit, add nut butter or seeds...the options are endless, not boring and not so ridiculously processed and sugar-packed as commercial cereals.

A boxed cereal is the LAST thing that I would ever eat for weight loss, but to each their own. If you want to eat like an 8-year-old, more power to you.

• briannarios60
    briannarios60 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    t0bcnuch9zjg.jpg

kgtpw7jaswew.jpg

xod3b5rlig4i.jpg

Have served me well.

This
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I love cereal but not as breakfast - it would take three true servings to fill me up. Oatmeal is the bomb!