Giving up

Options
I have gained back 7 pounds this week. Despite hitting the gym every day and starving the hell out of myself. I stepped on the scale today assuming it would say i had gained...and i was right. Im at my will and wits end. I dont even care about being healthy anymore i just want the fat gone and the hunger pains to stop.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    What have you set you calorie goal to and what do you do to hit it?

I very much doubt that you have gained 7 pounds in a week. Gaining one pound of fat means eating 3500 calories over maintenance. How often do you weigh yourself, and at what time?
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I see from your food diary your eating close to 2000 cals a day and not logging your exercise. What are your stats, are you close to your goal weight? Also you said you were expecting to gain, why was you expecting this?
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    You have lost 32 pounds. This is not time to give up. It's probably water weight, because there is no way you can acquire 7 pounds of fat in one week. Weight loss is NOT LINEAR. Try upping your fat and fiber so you stay satisfied longer.
  • Suriel08
    Suriel08 Posts: 5 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    When you do a lot of sports after a long time of inactivity, your weight loss will be reduced and sometimes you even gain weight. That is because the body builds up muscle mass.
    Once you have reached a level of equilibrium with your new level of activity - and as long as you don't stuff yourself afterwards - you'll see that weight loss happens faster.

If you don't already have one I'd suggest get an activity tracker. Personally I use the Garmin Vivosmart HR.
    It is not the best, but one of the best in its price range.

Some exercises in the gym also aren't especially useful for losing weight. They are there to train specific parts of your body. Running (or walking in the beginning) can be far more efficient than e.g. weight lifting. Basically all activities involving your whole body. You don't want a bulging biceps or ultra-fast triceps reactions. You want a healthy body for now.

If you know all that already, I apologize.

Don't give up. I mean, even if you'd have them suck the fat out of you, you'd be back there in no time.
    In truth all this is not about losing weight. It is about finding a healthy and balanced lifestyle.
    And then stick with it.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    This sounds horrible. I don't know what to advise because you haven't given any info at all on your stats etc.

Why are you starving the hell out of yourself?!

Oh I just noticed your diary is open. I don't think you can call eating at around 1900cals/day starving. Unless you use most of them for peanut butter bars for dinner. Instead of more filling food of larger volume.

No one can give you good advise if you don't give more info on yourself.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Quitting will definitely help you not be fat anymore. Said no one, ever.

I think you should invest in a food scale and weigh your food in grams. Log as accurately as possible, getting rid of any generic entries. I think you should understand that weight loss is not linear and that the body fluctuates, all the time. I think you should learn some patience and do some reading around these forums. And I think you should eat in a way that is sustainable for you. If you're constantly hungry and "starving", then you're doing it wrong. You should never be feeling that way. That kind of thing is not sustainable. So perhaps you should re-evaluate what you are doing and what your goals are, and tighten your ship up.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Dude you gotta stop with these. If you can eat 2k calories to lose weight then you shouldn't feel that hungry. My diary is open and about 100 cals higher than yours and I'm eating at maintenance, and I drink 300 calories a day in freaking coffee creamer. 2k is more than enough to be satiated unless you're like 6 and a half feet tall or you have tons of unlogged exercise.

Your daily calories are also an even 2k. Where did you get that number? MFP? Is it assuming sedentary?
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I have gained back 7 pounds this week. Despite hitting the gym every day and starving the hell out of myself. I stepped on the scale today assuming it would say i had gained...and i was right. Im at my will and wits end. I dont even care about being healthy anymore i just want the fat gone and the hunger pains to stop.

Since it's unlikely you ate that much to gain 7lbs, and muscle doesn't gain that quickly, part of it's most likely water weight from the amount you exercised this week. Especially if it's more than you were doing previously.
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Agree with the PPs that you would help yourself a lot by using a food scale and be cautious on exercise calories.

That said, you don't have to quit. You can just take a break. Take a couple of weeks off and eat at maintenance; just keep logging your food.

Killing it in the gym isn't necessary for weight loss. It can help and improve your health, but it isn't necessary.

Being honest and accurate re:calorie intake is.

So, if you are just venting, and really don't want to take a break, then get a food scale and use it.

You can reduce the exercise to nothing, or just walk, if you are tired of being sore.

That, plus eating enough protein, fat, and foods that have lower calorie density should fix the hunger issue.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    Im a truck mechanic. I dont log my exercise because i never saw the point. 2000 cals was my goal because thats what worked in the past nowadays i shoot for 1700 or less. I would like to be at 1300 or less per day but i cant beat my damn hunger pains. I honestly hate food nowadays so flavor and taste are not my downfall.

Have you seen a doctor for these hunger pains? You're not supposed to have them if you are healthy. I have them and I take medication for my stomach issues.
  • adcc407
    adcc407 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I ve been eating arround 1100-1300 per day, and doing some exercise as well, and to be honest, ive never felt more energy before. I have a fairly hard job too, and since i starded eating better and healthier, i feel like i just dont need as much food as i used to. Just keep your head high, hang on!
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    None of your plan seems to be rooted in actually following MFP. You seem to be picking arbitrary calorie goals.

This. Something isn't adding up here. But yeah, go ahead and quit and see how that turns out for you :p
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    None of your plan seems to be rooted in actually following MFP. You seem to be picking arbitrary calorie goals.

This is my impression as well.

You wouldn't gain that much muscle in a week, especially if you aren't doing weight training. Even if you are, you still wouldn't gain that much muscle mass that quickly.

If you don't want to bother with trying to log exercise, maybe TDEE minus 20% would be a good method for you. Scooby's workshop has a good calculator for helping you determine a calorie count for sustainable weight loss , rather than just picking a random one:
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
    It builds the exercise calories in for you so you don't have to worry about it.
    Food is energy, so the more you workout and the more active you are, the more you need to eat. Losing weight faster does not necessarily equal better, as it isn't all fat that you lose. You also lose muscle mass.

Maybe try that as a place to start, and also pick up a food scale that weighs to the gram. Hopefully that will work for you.

Good luck!
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Im a truck mechanic. I dont log my exercise because i never saw the point. 2000 cals was my goal because thats what worked in the past nowadays i shoot for 1700 or less. I would like to be at 1300 or less per day but i cant beat my damn hunger pains. I honestly hate food nowadays so flavor and taste are not my downfall.

As a man, you should not eat lower than 1500 calories. 1300 calories is completely unrealistic.

I agree with the PP, you seem to be picking arbitrary goals. MFP works, but only if you put the work in to make it work.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    @Tiptoetherat is going to the gym new? When I started lifting weights last fall the scale shot up seven pounds due to my muscles retaining water. This normally comes off in a few weeks. (Came off quicker for me cuz I got sick.)

I took a look at your diary and see that the last few days you were way under on your Protein goal. Eating sufficient protein helps keep me full. However, I'm not sure where you got your macros. Maybe play with them until you find the best combo for you.

I suggest you add Fiber to your list of nutrients and make sure you hit that goal each day as well. See also http://www.nutrition.org.uk/healthyliving/fuller/understanding-satiety-feeling-full-after-a-meal.html
  • lesleyloo7879
    lesleyloo7879 Posts: 439 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

He has said in another thread that there is not much that he will eat..... because of taste, texture and flavor, and many people suggested going to see a doctor to help out with his issues with food.