Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What is clean eating?

Options

Replies

• sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    Tomk652015 wrote: »
    For me, those foods that promote the improvement and/or help to maintain you good vital health markers, such as cholesterol, sugar, blood pressure, triglycerides etc etc. obviously its darn near impossible unless you in the Alaskan wilderness and off the grid gathering and/or growing your own foods organically clean eating will have varying degrees.

Here's the kicker - I improved all my health markers and have excellent blood work panels now, including getting a high glucose number stabilized into the 80s, and my diet is pretty much the opposite of the list in the OP.

I've actually had a few of the hard core 'clean' eating advocates on MFP call me a liar, because they cannot wrap their brains around the fact that I've defied their idea of 'clean/healthy' eating, but yet have had amazing success. And I'm definitely not the only one. MFP is full of people who've been successful in their health and weight goals while eating 'dirty'. It's frustrating, but it is what it is.

+1, because you can't fight faith with facts...

Spot on with the faith reference. I guess people need to believe in something other than science
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Panera Bread's new clean eating campaign has a list of over 150 "No No Foods." Including but not limited to:

5549107d9991f.preview.jpg?resize=620%2C803
    Good for them taking the initiative on that.
    Panera Bread's new clean eating campaign has a list of over 150 "No No Foods." Including but not limited to:

That they color-code the artificial sweeteners commonly used in diet soda as "Not in our food today" makes me think that drinks are specifically excluded from this campaign. I'm fine with that (I drink diet soda), but if that item is so inappropriate for food, why is it okay for drinks?
    IMO it shouldn't be OK for drinks either.

Why? Or is this one of those artificial = bad opinions?
  • sunfastrose
    sunfastrose Posts: 543 Member
    Options

That they color-code the artificial sweeteners commonly used in diet soda as "Not in our food today" makes me think that drinks are specifically excluded from this campaign. I'm fine with that (I drink diet soda), but if that item is so inappropriate for food, why is it okay for drinks?
    IMO it shouldn't be OK for drinks either.

Oh whee - are we going to spin this into another artificial sweetener debate?
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I didn't even think most of those ingredients were necessarily in their drinks and not food. I didn't see their list as having anything to do with artificial sweeteners at all, as most of those ingredients are unrelated to that.

I was just saying that it made no sense to me for them to remove those items from food but not drinks.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Honestly, I didn't even think most of those ingredients were necessarily in their drinks and not food. I didn't see their list as having anything to do with artificial sweeteners at all, as most of those ingredients are unrelated to that.

I was just saying that it made no sense to me for them to remove those items from food but not drinks.

While I have no issues with artificial sweeteners, I do agree with you that if they're going to remove it from one part of their menu, and make a big publicity campaign out of it, then they should remove it from everything they serve. Otherwise it seems a bit hypocritical?
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

While I have no issues with artificial sweeteners, I do agree with you that if they're going to remove it from one part of their menu, and make a big publicity campaign out of it, then they should remove it from everything they serve. Otherwise it seems a bit hypocritical?

Since they don't make many of the drinks they serve, they can't remove it from the drinks. If they decide not to serve drinks containing these things, that gets rid of most mainstream soda options (artificial colors). It could be done.

Something tells me it won't ever happen for the items they don't make. Which is fine by me. I find the whole campaign ridiculous.
  • treesloth
    treesloth Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Correct definition: Whatever lets you judge other people.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »

Since they don't make many of the drinks they serve, they can't remove it from the drinks. If they decide not to serve drinks containing these things, that gets rid of most mainstream soda options (artificial colors). It could be done.

Something tells me it won't ever happen for the items they don't make. Which is fine by me. I find the whole campaign ridiculous.

I find it ridiculous too and it actually makes me want to NOT eat at Panera because I feel like they are capitalizing on a useless marketing ploy... This will be difficult since there is one on pretty much every corner here as this is where they started...
  • Ruatine
    Ruatine Posts: 3,424 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

I find it ridiculous too and it actually makes me want to NOT eat at Panera because I feel like they are capitalizing on a useless marketing ploy... This will be difficult since there is one on pretty much every corner here as this is where they started...

Yep, this is how I feel about it too. It wouldn't be the first time I deliberately avoided a restaurant because of their marketing, but it would be the most difficult, since I really do like Panera's food. It's just so nonsensical and artificial. It takes away from the very real problem of people overeating in favor of a "let's all feel good because we can pronounce everything we're eating" approach.
  • cbstewart88
    cbstewart88 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I thought clean eating was washing one's hands before dinner and not saying f**k at the table....
  • ForecasterJason
    Options
    Ruatine wrote: »

It takes away from the very real problem of people overeating in favor of a "let's all feel good because we can pronounce everything we're eating" approach.
    Are you saying that you think the reason they did this has anything to do with the obesity crisis?

• WinoGelato
    Options

It takes away from the very real problem of people overeating in favor of a "let's all feel good because we can pronounce everything we're eating" approach.
    Are you saying that you think the reason they did this has anything to do with the obesity crisis?

Do you? I'm not sure how removing those ingredients would help with the obesity crisis...
  • ForecasterJason
    edited May 2016
    Options

Do you? I'm not sure how removing those ingredients would help with the obesity crisis...
    I don't either. But I don't see how this has anything to do with "taking away the very real problem of people overeating".

• WinoGelato
    Options

I don't either. But I don't see how this has anything to do with "taking away the very real problem of people overeating".

Probably because this marketing ploy will perpetuate the mentality of "I can eat whatever I want as long as I eat 'clean' because it is healthier". It doesn't address the fact that what causes weight gain is eating in a calorie surplus, and that can be done whether you buy into the Panera Clean campaign or continue to eat foods with those ingredients in them.
  • Ruatine
    Ruatine Posts: 3,424 Member
    Options

Not directly, no. It's quite obviously a marketing ploy designed to capitalize on the clean eating fad. However, the way it's marketed, it's as if they're saying by removing the ingredients on their "no-no list" that people are somehow eating healthier, and that's just not the case. If they had emphasized lower calorie items being added or expanded nutritional information displayed in-store, I could get behind that. The way it stands, they're equating fresh/whole foods with healthy, and that's a "no-no" in my book.

http://fortune.com/2015/08/18/panera-promises-a-clean-pumpkin-spice-latte-for-this-fall/
    "Panera’s head chef, Dan Kish, told Fortune the beverage changes were all part of an evolution at the fast casual chain, as the company moves to offer diners healthier options and be transparent about the ingredients it uses."

https://www.panerabread.com/en-us/articles/what-does-eating-clean-mean.html
    "That, he says, is what drives the effort; as much as the move toward clean food is about health, it’s also about taste. [...] It all comes down to freshness and flavor, says John—but in the end everything comes down to the customer. “We need to do this work so that our customers can feel great about what we represent, what we deliver, who we are.” He jokes, “We read labels so you don’t have to.”"
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

It's a marketing ploy. That a certain segment of people think that "clean eating" is a solution to the obesity crisis or a way to lose weight probably is one (not the only) reason they think it will work as a marketing ploy.

Edit: I really should read to the end before responding -- what the people before me said!
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    From what I've read, clean eating is this:

at1gwwifjtz2.gif

I could be mistaken though.

I love your user name. I'm heading to Madison next week and can't wait to bring a case back home with me!
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    I think its no coincidence that most of the "clean eating" advocacy embraces "no corporations" mentality. This is the origin of the aura surrounding "Clean eating" that it is a religion. This is not quite correct; it is a sociopolitical stance shaped by critical theory (Marxism).