Share - some of the crazy, underhanded, or bizarre food labeling and packaging you've come across

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Heh, a product for the super lazy.
  • Dana_E
    Dana_E Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    EmbeeKay wrote: »
    Drives me NUTS (ha) when I see a commercial for Nutella that says it's a great, healthy spread for everyone because it's made from "ground hazelnuts, skin milk, and a hint of cocoa"... When SUGAR is the first listed ingredient and palm oil is the second! That stuff is frosting, people!
    Mm...frosting! Actually, that's what we'd use it for--frosting brownies and filling chocolate layer cakes. Also great spread on the inside of a crescent roll before rolling and baking.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I just saw this one today. Yoplait is now selling whipped Greek yogurt - at only 100 kcal per tub. How can they do this, when comparable non-whipped yogurts have 140 kcal? You're getting less yogurt!

Yoplait Blueberry Nonfat Whipped: 113 g, 100 kcal
    Yoplait Blueberry Nonfat "Standard": 150 g, 140 kcal

It's not necessarily underhanded or crazy -- it just struck me as amusing. I'm willing to guess that the price will be the same.
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    pic272-500x330.jpg

I think this one beats diet water.
  • JaneSnowe
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I'd say it qualifies as bizarre and/or crazy packaging :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    EmbeeKay wrote: »
    Drives me NUTS (ha) when I see a commercial for Nutella that says it's a great, healthy spread for everyone because it's made from "ground hazelnuts, skin milk, and a hint of cocoa"... When SUGAR is the first listed ingredient and palm oil is the second! That stuff is frosting, people!

But such tasty frosting... LOL.
    Jruzer wrote: »
    I just saw this one today. Yoplait is now selling whipped Greek yogurt - at only 100 kcal per tub. How can they do this, when comparable non-whipped yogurts have 140 kcal? You're getting less yogurt!

It's not necessarily underhanded or crazy -- it just struck me as amusing. I'm willing to guess that the price will be the same.

Whipped yogurt is pretty different from regular yogurt though, it's whipped so it's lighter... in volume it's probably similar... but not the same texture so I don't think you can really compare. It it was exactly the same thing in smaller packaging though, yeah, I'd totally get it (and I'm sure it's happened, honestly).

What gets to me is the 'low fat' stuff that ends up being 70 calories instead of 80 or something. Seriously, that low fat craze needs to go away, it's just ridiculous, nobody in their right mind who would actually read the labels would go for the subpar taste just to save 10 calories.
  • Jruzer
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Jruzer wrote: »

Whipped yogurt is pretty different from regular yogurt though, it's whipped so it's lighter... in volume it's probably similar... but not the same texture so I don't think you can really compare. It it was exactly the same thing in smaller packaging though, yeah, I'd totally get it (and I'm sure it's happened, honestly).

My impression is that you're just getting more air in the packaging. I'm actually OK with this - I kind of like the whipped yogurts.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    pic272-500x330.jpg

$5.99? I'm in the wrong business...
  • JaneSnowe
    Options
    The asparagus water reminded me of this:

270732-4449647929927-791396043-n-jpg_184208.jpg

Doesn't help you eat a banana any faster, increases the risk of contamination, and creates extra garbage.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    The asparagus water reminded me of this:

270732-4449647929927-791396043-n-jpg_184208.jpg

Doesn't help you eat a banana any faster, increases the risk of contamination, and creates extra garbage.
    You know, the packaging it's in is extremely wasteful, but I don't think the prepeeled oranges are that bad of an idea.

Peeled bananas on the other hand are just dumb.
  • mpat81
    mpat81 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Asparagus water?!?!? Eeewwwww. And they are charging 5.99. THat must be some great jar they put it in.
  • skinnyforhi
    skinnyforhi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Do any of you remember Olestra? Give it a google.
  • RosieRose7673
    RosieRose7673 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    About 5 years ago, my boyfriend bought a bottle of Sriracha. Later when I looked at the nutrition label, it said something like 100 calories per teaspoon. I made fun of him the entire night telling him he was going to gain so much weight because he literally used gobs upon gobs of Sriracha on everything.

Obviously that was a freak typo! Went back to the grocery store less than a week later (yes, that quickly) and the nutrition labels were normal for the other bottles.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    The asparagus just wants to take a nice bath. Why do they have to be so cruel. :'(
  • Canuckgirl77
    Canuckgirl77 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Diet Mountain Dew.

A 20 oz bottle is labeled 20 calories. That would make it 0.5 calories per oz. So, a 12 oz can should be 6 calories, but it's listed as zero. Not that I'm sweating the calories in diet soda, but seriously

Aaaand it's too late to edit. A 20 oz diet dew is 10 calories.

I believe the FDA regulations state than anything less than 10 calories is allowed to be labeled as 0. 10 cals is negligible but for people who drink this by the gallon, it can add up to 100 or 200 cals a day!
  • Jruzer
    Options
    ubermofish wrote: »
    Serving sizes for chips of all kinds, like you're going to just eat 14 doritos once the bag is open.

That's what I do...