Share - some of the crazy, underhanded, or bizarre food labeling and packaging you've come across

Replies

• CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Jruzer wrote: »
    ubermofish wrote: »
    Serving sizes for chips of all kinds, like you're going to just eat 14 doritos once the bag is open.

That's what I do...
    I can usually eat more, but yeah, I usually don't have any sort of problem putting the chips into a Tupperware for later.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    ubermofish wrote: »
    Cooking spray being "0 calories" because the serving size is "1/4sec spray", it's still oil, and you have to use more than that.

"low calorie" bread that is just a thinner slice of depressing, tough, flavorless bread.

Serving sizes for chips of all kinds, like you're going to just eat 14 doritos once the bag is open.

AMEN on low calorie bread!
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Diet Mountain Dew.

A 20 oz bottle is labeled 20 calories. That would make it 0.5 calories per oz. So, a 12 oz can should be 6 calories, but it's listed as zero. Not that I'm sweating the calories in diet soda, but seriously

Aaaand it's too late to edit. A 20 oz diet dew is 10 calories.

I believe the FDA regulations state than anything less than 10 calories is allowed to be labeled as 0. 10 cals is negligible but for people who drink this by the gallon, it can add up to 100 or 200 cals a day!

Less than 5 calories per serving can be labeled as zero.
  • sylkates
    sylkates Posts: 173 Member
    edited May 2016
    [During the whole 'low fat' craze of the 90's and early 2000s, "low fat" was listed on many gummy and hard candies. *facepalm* I also remember an ad in Australia for a brand of gummy candies, and the ladies smile at the camera and exclaim that the candies are 100% FAT FREE!!!!!!! I think it was the 'Natural confectionery co'.
    Kraft 100% Grated Parmesan Cheese.
    Has 10% wood pulp in it, which is ok, but is it still 100% cheese?
    Yeah, cellulose...but woodpulp is stretching it, considering cellulose is the structural component of green plant cell walls (can be used to make paper and cardboard). Cellulose is also used as a filler for many medications, and is a thickener for many foods. Hmm.

Lots of dietary cellulose DOES come from the lumber industry. Not just alarmist nonsense. Now whether or not that's bad, meh, it's generally recognized as safe. I was certainly surprised to find it out, too . I don't normally think of "trees" as "edible" but I guess I was wrong.
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    270732-4449647929927-791396043-n-jpg_184208.jpg

I honestly couldn't see a use in either peeled oranges or this product, then I realized I'm not the target audience. I found out that a lot of elderly and those with physical disabilities that impact their ability to use their hands LOVE things like this. I never thought of it before then, but seriously, peeling a banana without smashing it into oblivion would be pretty tough if you lack the physical dexterity or strength, yeah?

Kraft 100% Grated Parmesan Cheese.
    Has 10% wood pulp in it, which is ok, but is it still 100% cheese?
    Yeah, cellulose...but woodpulp is stretching it, considering cellulose is the structural component of green plant cell walls (can be used to make paper and cardboard). Cellulose is also used as a filler for many medications, and is a thickener for many foods. Hmm.

Admittedly, the cellulose is not quite woodpulp. It's plant matter OR woodpulp that has been processed a little more, is all. As I understand it, cellulose in the USA is often made from corn. But quite frequently, the pulp in question originates from the Brazilian pine, for medication (I react to some of the original sources for cellulose, so I always have to find out what the cellulose was made from, if I ever got meds. :-P ).

In a lot of foods, the purpose, from what I've read, is to keep foods from clumping on the machinery line. Bleh.
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    shaumom wrote: »

I honestly couldn't see a use in either peeled oranges or this product, then I realized I'm not the target audience. I found out that a lot of elderly and those with physical disabilities that impact their ability to use their hands LOVE things like this. I never thought of it before then, but seriously, peeling a banana without smashing it into oblivion would be pretty tough if you lack the physical dexterity or strength, yeah?

I've heard that argument before and I see its merits. Unfortunately, Billa, the Austrian grocery store where these were being sold, pulled them after their customers expressed displeasure to the point that Billa even had to shut down their Facebook page (temporarily, I'm assuming).
  • Amerane
    Amerane Posts: 136 Member
    CooCooPuff wrote: »
    The asparagus water reminded me of this:

Doesn't help you eat a banana any faster, increases the risk of contamination, and creates extra garbage.
    You know, the packaging it's in is extremely wasteful, but I don't think the prepeeled oranges are that bad of an idea.

Peeled bananas on the other hand are just dumb.

As someone who is allergic to the white fleshy parts of citrus peel, prepeeled oranges sound great. No problem with eating the peeled fruit, just have to use gloves to peel the darn things.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    shaumom wrote: »

I've heard that argument before and I see its merits. Unfortunately, Billa, the Austrian grocery store where these were being sold, pulled them after their customers expressed displeasure to the point that Billa even had to shut down their Facebook page (temporarily, I'm assuming).
    I heard this argument on another website yesterday, along with a picture of prehalved avocados. My only real issue with bananas and avocados is that it both would spoil much more quickly. The bananas pictured already look pretty iffy to me. I'd rather suggest frozen bananas for someone that needed it.
    Amerane wrote: »
    CooCooPuff wrote: »
    The asparagus water reminded me of this:

Doesn't help you eat a banana any faster, increases the risk of contamination, and creates extra garbage.
    You know, the packaging it's in is extremely wasteful, but I don't think the prepeeled oranges are that bad of an idea.

Peeled bananas on the other hand are just dumb.

As someone who is allergic to the white fleshy parts of citrus peel, prepeeled oranges sound great. No problem with eating the peeled fruit, just have to use gloves to peel the darn things.
    I really don't understand why there was so much outrage over the oranges.

• KiwiAlexP
    KiwiAlexP Posts: 185 Member
    I was buying oil in the supermarket and found they had canola oil for about $1 more than the salad/cooking oil. Checked the ingredients - both were 100% canola oil
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    on a stall: our products are 100% fat free.
    They were selling candy floss/spun sugar
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    dlkfox wrote: »
    ALL microwave popcorn labeling. I don't care what the unpopped kernel calories are, and I'm not going to measure out by cup. I'm going to eat the whole #^$% bag of popcorn thank you. How many calories per bag would be awesome.

Yeah, totally. I've basically stopped eating microwave popcorn (it's so easy to just pop my own, and I have more control), but this used to drive me crazy. I am a highly educated person. Why is it so impossible to understand your ridiculous label?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    crazyravr wrote: »
    avocado-halves.jpg?quality=70&strip=all&w=720&h=480&crop=1

LOL.
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    dlkfox wrote: »
    ALL microwave popcorn labeling. I don't care what the unpopped kernel calories are, and I'm not going to measure out by cup. I'm going to eat the whole #^$% bag of popcorn thank you. How many calories per bag would be awesome.

SERIOUSLY. This is one of the reasons why I stick to Pop Weaver Light Butter Microwave Popcorn for the most part. I found a box at Walmart, and the nutrition facts actually mark 220 calories PER POPPED BAG.
  • lindalee0315
    lindalee0315 Posts: 527 Member
    EmbeeKay wrote: »
    Drives me NUTS (ha) when I see a commercial for Nutella that says it's a great, healthy spread for everyone because it's made from "ground hazelnuts, skin milk, and a hint of cocoa"... When SUGAR is the first listed ingredient and palm oil is the second! That stuff is frosting, people!

It's delicious frosting....It's crack in a jar....I can't keep it in my house because I will lose all self-control around it. It calls to me and says, "I'm in the cupboard...just eat ONE LITTLE spoonful." Then, I'm suddenly covered in it and trying to lick out the empty jar.
  • Char231023
    Char231023 Posts: 702 Member
    crazyravr wrote: »
    avocado-halves.jpg?quality=70&strip=all&w=720&h=480&crop=1

This actually make sense to me since once you cut an avocado and exposing the green part makes it start to turn brown. Especially since I usually only eat half an avocado at a time.