Belly fat

Options
2»

Replies

• WendyLaubach
    WendyLaubach Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I agree--the need for a calorie deficit is the bottom line and the same for everyone. What changes is what you have to eat in order to be satisfied enough to stick with this. That's wildly different from person to person. I've found it important to eat a lot of high-fiber foods, especially starting each meal with them, because I can feel full that way. If I started with meat or cheese, I'd have to stop so soon, in order to stay under budget, that I'd feel deprived. Deprivation is not so bad in the short term, but I know I won't put up with feeling deprived for a year.

What I've found the most helpful is not something I eat at all, but a technique: I pre-log virtually everything. I can't just "eat a moderate amount" instinctively, or not yet, anyway. I have to decide how much food fits into the budget, serve myself that much, and stop. Period. There's no such thing as "oh, I saw a tray full of cookies and ate 20 of them, and now I have to log 2,000 calories so I'm over for the day." I wouldn't eat 20 cookies, because I'd have to log them first, and that would stop me. It puts a rational step between me and the impulse.

The other trick that has helped me the most is recognizing that no particular food is off-limits; it just has to be limited in quantity and fit in the budget. If a cookie is that appealing, I figure out its calories and budget one, though that means I can't have a bowl of green beans or whatever instead. In other words, I can have anything I want most, but I can't have everything I can imagine all on the same day. That wonderful treat will still exist tomorrow, and if it's that important it can become the number-one priority in your budget, displacing something else, but in a reasonable amount. It turns out that your favorite treats are still good even if you eat 1/4 as much as you thought you'd like.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    There are no tricks per say however its important to what you are eating it takes your body longer to break down fats and protein. Also complex carbs over simple. Try to eat a diet that is 40% protien 30% healthy fats 30% carbs mainly complex
    For weight loss, macros and food types don't matter. All that is needed is to eat less calories than your body requires to maintain. Macros are individual.
    I just didn't know where to start but calorie deficit and strength training will definitely be my start, the rest I will play around with. Thank you.
    This is pretty much all you need to lose weight. Set a reasonable weight loss goal (remember, you'll have to drop your calories as you lose weight), and weigh all your foods with a food scale. Log like your life depends on it. Strength training is a plus.
  • itsthehumidity
    itsthehumidity Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Read this article. It tells you how to get set up with a good approach to nutrition.

http://rippedbody.jp/complete-diet-nutrition-set-up-guide/
  • LaLa482
    LaLa482 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    Eat at a Caloric deficit.
    Incorporate some exercise that you like - a mix of cardio and strength/resistance training is probably best.

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

Seriously - that's it.

This works really well for me.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Read this article. It tells you how to get set up with a good approach to nutrition.

That link has some good info - just beware it's based on male bodies, and hence the recommendations for rate of weight loss will be too high for women (the author uses body fat calculation), and muscle building rates will also be too high.

• katie22mfp
    katie22mfp Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain!
  • jolah88
    jolah88 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    That's the hardest part I'm fighting to overcome. I always weighed around 165 in high school. Over the past 7 years I gained so much weight I was up to 242 lbs. I'm currently sitting at 158, which I'm extremely happy about. But I have that lil gut just staring me in the face. So I'd love some suggestions as well on how to lose the belly fat. I mean I know the obvious, but I just am interested in suggestions.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    What I've found the most helpful is not something I eat at all, but a technique: I pre-log virtually everything... It puts a rational step between me and the impulse.

This is a great point, I will begin using this technique to help with my evening snacking habit. If I make a rule to log everything BEFORE I eat It, then I will hopefully see the impact of that choice and make a better one. Been going over every evening after dinner this week :(
  • ArmyofAdrian
    ArmyofAdrian Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Make a meal plan based on Foods you know you will actually eat. Sticking to your calorie goal is the most important thing. Don't get super hung up on Macros unless you want to.

When you lift weights always write down what you lifted. That way you can make sure to progressively increase the weight. As with the meal plan make sure your exercise plan is something you will actually do. Don't commit to six days per week if you can only reasonably do 3 for instance. Adhering to your training program is imperative don't skip workouts.

Finally give it time. It will likely take a few months of consistent effort.
  • itsthehumidity
    itsthehumidity Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    maxit wrote: »

That link has some good info - just beware it's based on male bodies, and hence the recommendations for rate of weight loss will be too high for women (the author uses body fat calculation), and muscle building rates will also be too high.

Good catch, thanks.
  • ArmyofAdrian
    ArmyofAdrian Posts: 177 Member
    Options

Andy Morgan is awesome!
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    I suppose I meant to say what are some foods or tricks to assist in the fat loss process?

There are absolutely no foods, drinks, supplements or tricks to making your body lose weight faster. Eat at an appropriate calorie deficit, include some form of strength training, get adequate protein, and have patience. It gets easier to make progress when you understand that there aren't short cuts.

Yup. It's so much nicer to think there's some sort of secret or trick to having a nice belly, but...there isn't. It's a simple as what's listed above. It will get you there if you give it a chance. Just stick with your deficit, strength train, get your protein daily, and....it will come. Patience/persistence is big though because it doesn't happen overnight....for anyone.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    jolah88 wrote: »
    That's the hardest part I'm fighting to overcome. I always weighed around 165 in high school. Over the past 7 years I gained so much weight I was up to 242 lbs. I'm currently sitting at 158, which I'm extremely happy about. But I have that lil gut just staring me in the face. So I'd love some suggestions as well on how to lose the belly fat. I mean I know the obvious, but I just am interested in suggestions.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1
  • lislys9
    lislys9 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    High cortisol levels can cause extra belly fat. Reduce your stress, change your lifestyle to lower your cortisol levels. Also, stop eating genetically modified foods like corn, soy, canola oil, etc...
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    lislys9 wrote: »
    High cortisol levels can cause extra belly fat. Reduce your stress, change your lifestyle to lower your cortisol levels. Also, stop eating genetically modified foods like corn, soy, canola oil, etc...
    ...which have absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with belly fat or losing it.