Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Gym on empty stomach

Options

Replies

• markag1990
    markag1990 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I find cardio on an empty stomach is OK. But I need to eat something if I'm gonna do weight training. Even if it's just a bowl of protein flakes.
    I train mostly in the am as I do shift work.
  • philimyri
    philimyri Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I work-out on a empty stomach all the time, I have much more energy and do more. when full, I get tummy aches.
  • cocobee2016
    cocobee2016 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I did feel lightheaded once in gym on empty stomach so I might have a banana or half a protein drink before I workout in the morning but now I walk with no problem at all
  • lizzelspark
    lizzelspark Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I work out at 11:00 am each morning then eat lunch after 1pm. I don't eat breakfast so I workout on an empty stomach everyday. And have been doing this for years.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Do you lift weights on a empty stomach ? Or doing cardio ? I love cardio on a empty stomach never tried weightlifting
  • Leslierussell4134
    Leslierussell4134 Posts: 376 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I always work out in the morning, about 6am, on an empty stomach. Working out fasted can actually give you some energy bursts. I don't work out longer than 90 minutes, whether lifting, cardio, swimming, if I did, I might need at least a coconut water for electrolytes. If I work out in the afternoon, I need to have eaten at least 3 hours before, food I'm my stomach makes me feel weighed down. The body can only do 1 of 3 things most effectively at once. 1) think, brain power, 2) digest and 3) be phsycial. When one of more is happening at once, the body will shunt blood away from digestion first to do the other more vital choices, thinking and physical activity.
    Digestion always get the short end of the stick on the priority list, but I guess simple carbs can be digested quickly for energy before workout, like fruit.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I always work out in the morning, about 6am, on an empty stomach. Working out fasted can actually give you some energy bursts. I don't work out longer than 90 minutes, whether lifting, cardio, swimming, if I did, I might need at least a coconut water for electrolytes. If I work out in the afternoon, I need to have eaten at least 3 hours before, food I'm my stomach makes me feel weighed down. The body can only do 1 of 3 things most effectively at once. 1) think, brain power, 2) digest and 3) be phsycial. When one of more is happening at once, the body will shunt blood away from digestion first to do the other more vital choices, thinking and physical activity.
    Digestion always get the short end of the stick on the priority list, but I guess simple carbs can be digested quickly for energy before workout, like fruit.

Yes.

Yes, they can.
  • mjmwootten
    mjmwootten Posts: 2 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Its really what works for you, fasted training in the morning can be good for you it gets your body ready for the day and can help increase your weight/fat loss, if you are hungry fuel your body then. If im doing a morning workout and i feel i need something ill probably have a coffee or a banana, its really just finding out what works for your body and how it reacts to fasted training compared to eating before hand :)
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    mjmwootten wrote: »
    Its really what works for you, fasted training in the morning can be good for you it gets your body ready for the day and can help increase your weight/fat loss, if you are hungry fuel your body then. If im doing a morning workout and i feel i need something ill probably have a coffee or a banana, its really just finding out what works for your body and how it reacts to fasted training compared to eating before hand :)

While this was once thought to be so, longer term studies have shown it to not be the case.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Ditto's to above.

The only thing it can help do is train muscles to burn a higher % of fat sooner rather than normal later in a workout up to 60-90 min.
    That's only going to benefit endurance athletes who need to spare muscle carbs as best they can to finish a long event.
    And to that end it does work. But the day as a whole for calorie burn and fat burn - nope.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    It's neither good nor bad, it's simply "as tolerated." Some people can do it just fine, some people can't.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    I really don't think it matters much to be honest. I mean on Saturdays I do it. Though it's horrible for me. I get so hungry and thirsty. This past Saturday I grabbed a handful of almonds and ate them on the way to the gym. It helped tide me over for the hour at the gym at least. I have a hard time with my water intake though. I have the hardest time at the gym on Saturday mornings after waking up from not drinking anything for 8 hours.
  • MalcolmX1983
    MalcolmX1983 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    superchea wrote: »
    Wake up and go to the gym on empty stomach in the morning is that a good or bad thing? I usually don't have an appetite in the am but I still manage to get in 2,000 calories a day.

I always train on an empty stomach, be it weights, cardio or boxing.
    I perform better.
    Although I do add two scoops of bcaa to my water whilst training.

I eat pwo.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Did a morning workout without eating first for the first time in a while (4 mile run and Crossfit). Brought a gel for in-between just in case, but it was fine so I didn't eat it. Usually I prefer to eat first, but I'm trying to run immediately after getting up again for scheduling purposes, and it was nice to see that I haven't developed any problems in doing so.

Not a debate post, but seemed on topic with how the discussion has gone. ;-)
  • paulgads82
    paulgads82 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Gin on an empty stomach more fun tbh.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    Generally, I wouldn't eat a big meal and then work out, but I did it last night and, what do you know, it was fine! I had an unusually long drive home due to traffic and I had to feed my son, so I made and ate dinner with him. I even had a beer (hey, it was a beautiful spring evening and we were eating grilled swordfish!). Then I did a 30 minute core and resistance-band workout that felt great. It wasn't particularly hard, but it got me sweating. I had no problem with any of it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I work out at 11:00 am each morning then eat lunch after 1pm. I don't eat breakfast so I workout on an empty stomach everyday. And have been doing this for years.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Do you lift weights on a empty stomach ? Or doing cardio ? I love cardio on a empty stomach never tried weightlifting
    I do both. I usually do cardio first thing in the morning, then train clients, then workout myself, then eat after 12:00pm.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• mostein
    mostein Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I almost always work out on an empty stomach. Cardio is typically easier to do, strength is sometimes a struggle. I think as long as you know your body and watch your cues you should be fine. Typically there are warning signs before someone faints. Bring a snack if this is something you are worried about.
  • crystale79
    crystale79 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I know that many trainers and fitness instructors don't recommend working out on an empty stomach, but it makes me nauseous if I eat before my first workout of the day. On Saturdays, I walk or do jogging intervals (8 miles). Then I have to have some type of protein before I hit the gym for Boxing and/or Zumba. If I don't eat in between, I will pass out.
  • pagey231
    pagey231 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Very "individual" I will sometimes do 100 + km rides on no breakfast and just water .. It depends on glycogen levels , intensity etc.. imho ;-)