Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Gym on empty stomach

Options
superchea
superchea Posts: 6 Member
Wake up and go to the gym on empty stomach in the morning is that a good or bad thing? I usually don't have an appetite in the am but I still manage to get in 2,000 calories a day.

Replies

• Mapalicious
    Mapalicious Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    saw a girl pass out at 10am spinning class 2 weeks ago, likely because she didn't eat beforehand.

• Karstey050
    Karstey050 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I do much better on my walks if I eat lunch before I go. I feel a lot more energetic when I have eaten first.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I workout in the morning on an empty stomach all the time, it's personal choice. I don't like the feel of food sloshy around.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I workout on an empty stomach too
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I work out at 11:00 am each morning then eat lunch after 1pm. I don't eat breakfast so I workout on an empty stomach everyday. And have been doing this for years.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I'm similar I go to the gym at 9:30-10:00 and eat afterwards (I eat in 12-6 even on rest days so I am used to it). I don't do much cardio. I just lift heavy and am not negatively effected by this.
  • V_Keto_V
    V_Keto_V Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Empty stomach/2-3 hours after eating is optimal...eating right before exercising exacerbates GI reflux (GERD).
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    It's fine -- some people find it helps their workout to eat before, some find it's a problem.

I do shorter runs and swims fasted but eat before longer runs, weights, and biking.
  • herrerajr693
    herrerajr693 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    More of a personal preference kind of deal unless you're doing some heavy cardio in which case a snack would be good IMO
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I break my fast at the gym and them refuel afterwards. I might have some coffee before, I might now.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    superchea wrote: »
    Wake up and go to the gym on empty stomach in the morning is that a good or bad thing? I usually don't have an appetite in the am but I still manage to get in 2,000 calories a day.

personal preference ….I don't like to work out on a full stomach, so I am always somewhat fasted when I train …

• ndj1979
    Options
    saw a girl pass out at 10am spinning class 2 weeks ago, likely because she didn't eat beforehand.

or she was sick, or she was dehydrated, or it could be any number of issues….not sure how you pinned that one down...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    V_Keto_V wrote: »
    Empty stomach/2-3 hours after eating is optimal...eating right before exercising exacerbates GI reflux (GERD).

is that optimal for you or optimal for everyone? if the later, I would be curious if you have a citation for that….
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Nothing kills hunger better than cardio. Lots of people promote fasting morning exercise for weight loss.

I'm sure it can be overdone...
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    I have to go on an empty stomach or all the movement during cardio makes me nauseous and burp like crazy!
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

So when she woke up, you asked her if she had eaten before hand, or you just assumed?
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I'm a big breakfast person and generally eat within 20-30 minutes of waking up, but I prefer to work out on an empty stomach for morning workouts. I don't start to feel hungry until after I'm done, and I eat breakfast within an hour after (it would be sooner, but on weekdays I'm showering, getting ready and then driving to work before I eat).

Personal preference. If you feel weak or really hungry while working out, try eating something small beforehand like a banana or string cheese.