Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Gym on empty stomach

Options

Replies

• Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Personally, after studying the diets of olympic athletes (Matt Fitzgerald, Racing Weight, Chrissie Wellingtons autobiography, and various articles and Joe Friel books, speaking to sports science nerds,and more), and the fact that I don't eat very heavily at night time, I prefer to load up with low fat protein and lots of carbs 2/3 hours before I work out. I run fast sprints for half and hour and lift heavy for 45 mins. Or I cycle sprints 30-90 mins, I need to have the fuel.

I'm very glycogen depleted in the morning. I don't believe in fuelling the night before, use it or store it. I don't want to fuel my workouts with body fat as it doenst burn fast enough for what I do.

I'm considering skipping breakfast on days when I don't workout or walk, but I'm so hungry by 6am I am wide awake.
  • Springfield1970
    Options
    V_Keto_V wrote: »
    us1htpjb2gyk.png

Yeah, I'm totally making up that reoccurring 2-3 hour thing...references cited. I guess there is no bending or recumbancy in exercise according to some "expert" opinion

But they didn't mention exercise. I'm interested because as a vocalist we suffer a lot from GERD.

I've never had a problem with it during exercise, even after eating or gels etc.

You have to be lying flat and still for a long time for the stomach acids to work their way up.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    V_Keto_V wrote: »
    us1htpjb2gyk.png

Yeah, I'm totally making up that reoccurring 2-3 hour thing...references cited. I guess there is no bending or recumbancy in exercise according to some "expert" opinion

I believeyour quote is that it was optimal for exercise.

Never said you made it up, I asked for a source out of curiosity. Easy on the butthurt ....
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    pie_eyes wrote: »
    Erfw7471 wrote: »
    If you're stomach is empty and you didn't have a good meal your heart attack risk increase exercising on empty stomach

Do what now?! *spoken in my thick Southern drawl*

I heard you'll get most benefits from it and personally believe that

As long as you have good diet, which mine is bad and good depending on the day and mood

If you're stomach is empty and you didn't have a good meal your heart attack risk increase exercising on empty stomach

source for all this?

All that is just common sense

Look it up it's out there

It's not one source it's just from a ton of stuff I've read

i was not aware that having an empty stomach increased your risk for heart attack ...again, do you have a source for that beside woo.com...?

Anybody is at risk for having a heart attack at any time

I can't go into detail but just look stuff up about diet and heart disease

It's very simple

you are also at risk of dying at any time too ...so make sure that your stomach is full at all times to prevent this .

you can't go into detail because you are putting out a bunch of woo woo that makes no sense.

wow...

This is starting to sound like my teacher that made all of us in high school use the bathroom before getting on the bus because an accident could always happen and the leading way traffic accidents are from impact putting excess pressure on the bladder...
  • always_smilin_D
    always_smilin_D Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I can wake up at 4:45 am be at the gym by 5-5:15 am workout for about 45-60 mins and be just fine however, I am famished by the time I get back home and a nice heavy breakfast is a must (that is for me of course)... it is recommended you have a snack with you if you do this - if at any point you start feeling dizzy or exhaustion seems to be taking over, immediately have your snack... remember that your body needs the sugars as a source of energy

my favorite go to snack before working out is 1/2 toast with peanut butter, small/medium banana, and a cup of black coffee... that is energy to its best -- at least for me.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I can wake up at 4:45 am be at the gym by 5-5:15 am workout for about 45-60 mins and be just fine however, I am famished by the time I get back home and a nice heavy breakfast is a must (that is for me of course)... it is recommended you have a snack with you if you do this - if at any point you start feeling dizzy or exhaustion seems to be taking over, immediately have your snack... remember that your body needs the sugars as a source of energy

my favorite go to snack before working out is 1/2 toast with peanut butter, small/medium banana, and a cup of black coffee... that is energy to its best -- at least for me.

yea, but did you have a heart attack?
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    I'm happy to do weights fasted but find I don't have enough energy if I don't eat a little bit before doing cardio. I usually just have a very small meal with protein and carbs so I have something to draw on for energy. My understanding is that when you train fasted you're in a glycogen-depleted state so your body uses fat for fuel. Someone told me that this is harder for the body to use (kind of makes sense as it's not the preferred fuel source) so it can make cardio/conditioning exercises feel harder (relative to your normal experience) . That's my personal experience and I train for performance I prefer to eat if I'm doing conditioning. I don't do long steady state cardio so it might be different for that.

On a side note: to those who train fasted - do you find you smell like ammonia and does it worry you? I understand it's a by-product from the breakdown of protein. I'd love to get some thoughts on this as I've started to notice this over the past 6 months. I first noticed it when I did hot yoga but now seem to get it when I train weights fasted or do conditioning on a nearly empty stomach.
  • rochihong
    rochihong Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    superchea wrote: »
    Thank you guys for all the response it was very helpful.

Where you able to make a decision?
  • Mapalicious
    Mapalicious Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »

As long as you have good diet, which mine is bad and good depending on the day and mood

source for all this?

i was not aware that having an empty stomach increased your risk for heart attack ...again, do you have a source for that beside woo.com...?

It's very simple

you are also at risk of dying at any time too ...so make sure that your stomach is full at all times to prevent this .

you can't go into detail because you are putting out a bunch of woo woo that makes no sense.

wow...

This is starting to sound like my teacher that made all of us in high school use the bathroom before getting on the bus because an accident could always happen and the leading way traffic accidents are from impact putting excess pressure on the bladder...

???? wouldn't "accident" refer to someone accidentally pissing their pants on the bus in this context? not a car accident?
  • Mapalicious
    Mapalicious Posts: 412 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    saw a girl pass out at 10am spinning class 2 weeks ago, likely because she didn't eat beforehand.
    Or she could be eating too little overall daily. Or because she may have low blood pressure or have an iron deficiency. There could be lots of reasons if you don't personally know this person.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Yes...congrats on figuring that out! You're a real sleuth.

I chatted w/ the instructor afterwards who teaches her regularly, and that was her guess as well as someone who knows her better. *shrug*
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »

source for all this?

It's very simple

wow...

???? wouldn't "accident" refer to someone accidentally pissing their pants on the bus in this context? not a car accident?

No, accident refers to car accident. My teacher was under the impression that most people that die in car accidents do so because of a ruptured bladder or kidney causing sepsis, and that the problem could be reduced by not traveling with a full bladder.
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I couldn't work out on an empty stomach. I feel sluggish and am unable to complete my morning workout if I do this and the gym staff would be picking me up off of the floor. If you can tolerate working out on an empty stomach, however, do so.
  • superchea
    superchea Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    rochihong wrote: »
    superchea wrote: »
    Thank you guys for all the response it was very helpful.

Where you able to make a decision?

Yes, working out in the am on empty stomach is fine. It's just a personal preferences on how your body feels during the workout.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    What constitutes an empty stomach? Is it just food, or fluid too? I have 8 or so cups of tea with milk all morning, and don't eat sold food til lunch time. Would the milk be classed as "food"?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I'd assume empty stomach refers to calories or no (it does when talking about fueling endurance activities), so yes, milk would be food.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I'd assume empty stomach refers to calories or no (it does when talking about fueling endurance activities), so yes, milk would be food.

• gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    What constitutes an empty stomach? Is it just food, or fluid too? I have 8 or so cups of tea with milk all morning, and don't eat sold food til lunch time. Would the milk be classed as "food"?

For the purposes of lean gains style intermittent fasting they say that anything over 50cals will break the fast. I don't know where they get that number from though.

In terms of the actual fuel sources used, a little bit of milk in your cups of tea may not make a huge difference as your body will go through that pretty quickly so you may still be burning predominately fat instead of carbs as your fuel source.

Please correct me if this is wrong
  • Christine_72
    Options
    gmallan wrote: »

For the purposes of lean gains style intermittent fasting they say that anything over 50cals will break the fast. I don't know where they get that number from though.

In terms of the actual fuel sources used, a little bit of milk in your cups of tea may not make a huge difference as your body will go through that pretty quickly so you may still be burning predominately fat instead of carbs as your fuel source.

Please correct me if this is wrong

Yeah I've read the exact same thing. Each cup is around 21 calories, and it's a big 500ml mug. So i can squeeze in two before technically "breaking the fast"
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,671 Member
    Options
    I eat late into the night (11:30pm), so skipping breakfast isn't an issue for me. I've well fueled as I do sessions with clients from 9:00 to 11:00am, then workout afterward.
    Don't know why people don't think you CAN'T keep glycogen storage high enough for 12 hours before use. I'm sleeping for 8 hours (fat for fuel not glycogen) and the other 3 hours is driving to the gym and instruction. Hardly a glycogen depleter.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Springfield1970
    Options
    gmallan wrote: »
    I'm happy to do weights fasted but find I don't have enough energy if I don't eat a little bit before doing cardio. I usually just have a very small meal with protein and carbs so I have something to draw on for energy. My understanding is that when you train fasted you're in a glycogen-depleted state so your body uses fat for fuel. Someone told me that this is harder for the body to use (kind of makes sense as it's not the preferred fuel source) so it can make cardio/conditioning exercises feel harder (relative to your normal experience) . That's my personal experience and I train for performance I prefer to eat if I'm doing conditioning. I don't do long steady state cardio so it might be different for that.

On a side note: to those who train fasted - do you find you smell like ammonia and does it worry you? I understand it's a by-product from the breakdown of protein. I'd love to get some thoughts on this as I've started to notice this over the past 6 months. I first noticed it when I did hot yoga but now seem to get it when I train weights fasted or do conditioning on a nearly empty stomach.

I used to get that when I low carbed. Look up ketosis.