Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Gym on empty stomach

Options

Replies

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Trying to find a discussion on Facebook by Alan Aragon and Brad Schoenfeld about fasted training. They have both done quiet a few reviews of literature that keep indicating it really is personal preference.

http://jissn.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1550-2783-10-5
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/the-myth-of-cardio-before-breakfast-debunked.html
    http://alanaragon.com/myths-under-the-microscope-part-2-false-hopes-for-fasted-cardio.html
  • V_Keto_V
    V_Keto_V Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    V_Keto_V wrote: »
    Empty stomach/2-3 hours after eating is optimal...eating right before exercising exacerbates GI reflux (GERD).

is that optimal for you or optimal for everyone? if the later, I would be curious if you have a citation for that….

Anatomy and physiology 101...go read a textbook. Unless you can somehow exercise without using your core
    I'm sure it's somewhere in ACG guidelines; better than going by random google searches for pubmed studies
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Empty stomach/2-3 hours after eating is optimal...eating right before exercising exacerbates GI reflux (GERD).

is that optimal for you or optimal for everyone? if the later, I would be curious if you have a citation for that….

Anatomy and physiology 101...go read a textbook. Unless you can somehow exercise without using your core
    I'm sure it's somewhere in ACG guidelines; better than going by random google searches for pubmed studies

Last time I looked at A&P 101, it mentioned things about the stomach being able to change size to handle that kind of situation. That's probably why NDJ is asking about it in terms of the claim operative claim of optimal.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

senecarr wrote: »

Last time I looked at A&P 101, it mentioned things about the stomach being able to change size to handle that kind of situation. That's probably why NDJ is asking about it in terms of the claim operative claim of optimal.

yes, I am curious about the optimal claim ...
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Fasted cardio is a Thing. If it works for you, great. I find I have more energy if I eat something first - a cheese stick, a banana, a protein shake, a bar .....
  • pie_eyes
    pie_eyes Posts: 12,965 Member
    Options
    I heard you'll get most benefits from it and personally believe that

As long as you have good diet, which mine is bad and good depending on the day and mood

If you're stomach is empty and you didn't have a good meal your heart attack risk increase exercising on empty stomach
  • ndj1979
    Options
    pie_eyes wrote: »

As long as you have good diet, which mine is bad and good depending on the day and mood

If you're stomach is empty and you didn't have a good meal your heart attack risk increase exercising on empty stomach

source for all this?
  • pie_eyes
    Options

source for all this?

All that is just common sense

Look it up it's out there

It's not one source it's just from a ton of stuff I've read
  • pie_eyes
    Options

source for all this?

Exercising on empty stomach in theory you're burning your absolute body fat

Exercising on full stomach your body is still working through what you're still digesting

It takes like 12 hours to be on an empty stomach
  • superchea
    superchea Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys for all the response it was very helpful.
  • Erfw7471
    Erfw7471 Posts: 242 Member
    Options

Do what now?! *spoken in my thick Southern drawl*

OP, personal preference for me. When I'm up at 4:30am, I lift fasted (aside for a couple of cups of coffee) and there's no way I could eat anything beforehand. Today I couldn't workout until 12:30 and I increased weight so I needed to eat prior to give me some energy - no way I could have done that fasted.

• pie_eyes
    Options
    Erfw7471 wrote: »

source for all this?

i was not aware that having an empty stomach increased your risk for heart attack ...again, do you have a source for that beside woo.com...?

Anybody is at risk for having a heart attack at any time

I can't go into detail but just look stuff up about diet and heart disease

It's very simple
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I never work out on an empty stomach, I just don't give it my best effort if my stomach is growling, it is probably just a mental thing. I at least eat a protein bar in advance.
  • ndj1979
    Options

source for all this?

i was not aware that having an empty stomach increased your risk for heart attack ...again, do you have a source for that beside woo.com...?

It's very simple

you are also at risk of dying at any time too ...so make sure that your stomach is full at all times to prevent this .

you can't go into detail because you are putting out a bunch of woo woo that makes no sense.

wow...
  • ndj1979
    Options

OP, personal preference for me. When I'm up at 4:30am, I lift fasted (aside for a couple of cups of coffee) and there's no way I could eat anything beforehand. Today I couldn't workout until 12:30 and I increased weight so I needed to eat prior to give me some energy - no way I could have done that fasted.

you did not have a heart attack from fasting?
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

source for all this?

It's very simple

You are kind of right, anyone can have a heart attack at any given time but what your saying about fasted cardio is far to misleading. Its highly unlikely a fit and healthy person is going to have a heart attack after a morning fasted gym session but if you have pre-existing heart troubles or heart attacks/angina runs in the family you may be more susceptible to having an attack fasted post workout.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in the heart attack risk/link but maybe going and searching for some proper studies could cause massive strain on the heart?

Electrolytes can get low during a fast, we'd agree that right?

These electrolytes are important for the signals to the heart. I think it's more risky for high intensity cardio than lifting.
    Here's a link...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1507935
  • Erfw7471
    Erfw7471 Posts: 242 Member
    Options

you did not have a heart attack from fasting?

Since now "they say" coffee is good for the heart and can possibly lower risk of heart attacks, I guess mine as a pre-workout saved my life! Amazing!

source for all this?

It's very simple

Unfortunately it doesn't work that way. In the Nutrition Debate board you have the burden of proof if you make such claims.
  • V_Keto_V
    V_Keto_V Posts: 342 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    us1htpjb2gyk.png

Yeah, I'm totally making up that reoccurring 2-3 hour thing...references cited. I guess there is no bending or recumbancy in exercise according to some "expert" opinion