Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Meat Eater, Vegetarian or Vegan?

Replies

• kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    I'm a meat eater! I think it can all be healthy if you do it right. But it has to be about balance. I would happy if I could live off of steak and mashed potatoes. But that's not going to help me lose weight or be healthy, so probably a bad idea. But chicken, pork, fish, beef--all of it can be good for you. If someone else wants to be vegetarian or vegan, more power to them. But I couldn't do it! I try to reserve beef for no more than a couple of times a week and make sure I include salmon or other fish at least a couple of times a week as well. I fill in the rest with chicken and pork. I include some whole wheat or veggie pasta and vegetables at each meal, too. As long as your diet is balanced, I think you take whatever approach works for you. My problem with vegetarian or vegan is that I am not a bean lover, so getting sufficient protein would be tough for me.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    kmbrooks15 wrote: »
    I'm a meat eater! I think it can all be healthy if you do it right. But it has to be about balance. I would happy if I could live off of steak and mashed potatoes. But that's not going to help me lose weight or be healthy, so probably a bad idea. But chicken, pork, fish, beef--all of it can be good for you. If someone else wants to be vegetarian or vegan, more power to them. But I couldn't do it! I try to reserve beef for no more than a couple of times a week and make sure I include salmon or other fish at least a couple of times a week as well. I fill in the rest with chicken and pork. I include some whole wheat or veggie pasta and vegetables at each meal, too. As long as your diet is balanced, I think you take whatever approach works for you. My problem with vegetarian or vegan is that I am not a bean lover, so getting sufficient protein would be tough for me.

Other plant sources of protein include tofu, tempeh, seitan, hemp/rice/soy protein powders, grains, and vegetables.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,958 Member
    edited May 2016
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I think they can all be equally healthy.

Indeed, varying protein sources is a good idea...
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    I eat meat. I can't get enough protein without it and quite frankly a lot of the veggie sources of protein have inflammatory qualities.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,958 Member
    a lot of the veggie sources of protein have inflammatory qualities.

Really?
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    J72FIT wrote: »
    a lot of the veggie sources of protein have inflammatory qualities.

Really?

+1

• VAnneBee
    VAnneBee Posts: 8 Member
    Any diet can work as long as it's varied with many different foods. Obviously, the more you restrict your diet the harder it gets to maintain variety but yeah- no diet is inherently healthier than the next. Having said that; the meat industry is horrible and everyone should keep an open mind to adapting to a more sustainable way of life.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    My diet is vegan. (Specifically hclf vegan.) Why?
    It cured my anemia. I lost 25+ pounds. I'm getting more protein than I did when I ate meat.
    I'm achieving more nutrient goals than before. In fact, I didn't have to take prenatal pills during my pregnancy because I was getting everything I needed just from eating. My energy levels are through the roof.
    And my favorite reason...I can eat as much of anything that I'd like...given that I'm eating hclf. In fact, I was eating 2500-3000 calories when I lost the weight (and exercising sporadically at best). Pasta, sushi, fruit, burritos, curry, smoothies, ice cream...I love it.

Are you saying that you could eat above TDEE and lose weight?
  • janejellyroll
    RGv2 wrote: »
    It cured my anemia. I lost 25+ pounds. I'm getting more protein than I did when I ate meat.
    I'm achieving more nutrient goals than before. In fact, I didn't have to take prenatal pills during my pregnancy because I was getting everything I needed just from eating. My energy levels are through the roof.
    And my favorite reason...I can eat as much of anything that I'd like...given that I'm eating hclf. In fact, I was eating 2500-3000 calories when I lost the weight (and exercising sporadically at best). Pasta, sushi, fruit, burritos, curry, smoothies, ice cream...I love it.

Are you saying that you could eat above TDEE and lose weight?

Given that I gained my extra weight by eating vegan pasta, sushi, fruit, burritos, curry, smoothies, and ice cream (and then lost it while still eating those things, but counting calories), I am extremely dubious about this claim.
  • HarmoniousExpression
    HarmoniousExpression Posts: 6 Member
    Hey everyone! Not totally new to MFP, but I took a 6 month hiatus and I am now back! I've started a vegan diet (about 1.5 weeks ago) for many great reasons, and I love it so far! I'm looking to add some vegan friends on here since I'm super new at this. I need all the support, motivation and nutritional information I can get on this vegan lifestyle! Any helpful advice is welcome ❤️

You posted on my birthday! ;)
    Welcome to the Vegan community, I myself just transitioned as well about 3 weeks ago from a vegetarian diet. Mainly for health, but also for what felt true to my soul. That's when the light bulb click for me. When I decided that for me, not only was it about a healthier living opportunity, but also a moral acceptance.
    I can't imagine going back, as I now feel my respiratory system so much better. I don't wake up with congested sinuses anymore, need to use my netti pot less frecuent, and I have cut down from 2 steroid asthma inhalers, twice a day to ONE ONCE a day!

To each is own belief I am not up for arguing with anyone about your choices. Each individual needs to do what you can sleep with at night with, and what works best for your system, and health.
    Just the same, will not be defending my choices, and moral perspective reasons for compassion for ALL sentient beings.

Feel free to add me nellebelle, so we can support each other.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member

Ice cream isn't vegan. Did you mean some type of faux ice cream?
  • janejellyroll

There are tons of commercial vegan ice creams available now. Even Ben and Jerry's has some.
  • Need2Exerc1se

There are tons of commercial vegan ice creams available now. Even Ben and Jerry's has some.

So ... yes, faux ice cream.
  • janejellyroll

Wikipedia says that ice cream is "usually" made with dairy. It doesn't list it as a requirement.

I think you're just looking for an excuse to label vegan options as "faux food." So have fun with that.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member

Wikipedia says that ice cream is "usually" made with dairy. It doesn't list it as a requirement.

I think you're just looking for an excuse to label vegan options as "faux food." So have fun with that.

Ummmm. Ice cream has "cream" right there in the name (Wikipedia be damned). Vegan ice cream is an oxymoron. Of course I also refuse to call nut juice almond or cashew or soy "milk". It's only milk if it came from a teat. I'm guessing vegan ice "cream" is really better named ice soy. But then no one would buy it :D.

• tlflag1620
    edited May 2016
    Edit -double post.... MFP is acting funny for me today
  • tlflag1620
    Edit - double post
  • Need2Exerc1se

No, not faux food, faux ice cream. Like turkey bacon is faux bacon or tofurkey is faux turkey, but both are food.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    edited May 2016

Not sure about other countries, but at least in the US, that would not be "ice cream". It would be a "non-dairy frozen desert". To be called "ice cream", a product must use milk and contain a certain amount of milk solids and fat. Some products which still have milk but cut back on the cream to save costs or make diet deserts are called "frozen dairy desert". Although colloquially, all of these products would be still be called ice cream.

bqpmkqq69cll.jpg