Planet Fitness

Options
I've been seriously contemplating joining Planet Fitness. I was a member before so I know it's a great place for the price. I'm hopeful I'll stick to going if I join. I'm trying to keep motivated by thinking of the positives. I have a schedule worked out that will work after work. It's also close to my home so I win there too.

Replies

• thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    If you can't afford another gym, then do what you need to. However, make sure you ignore the pizza and bagel days, and pass up the free candy at the front desk. Find a smaller, independent gym. I bet you'll find more encouragement there, then PF.
  • kirstinethornburg
    kirstinethornburg Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Any Gym you join will have pros and cons for doing so. Do what works best for you where ever you join just stay committed to working out the real reason for your joining in the first place
  • ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    If you can't afford another gym, then do what you need to. However, make sure you ignore the pizza and bagel days, and pass up the free candy at the front desk. Find a smaller, independent gym. I bet you'll find more encouragement there, then PF.

What's wrong with a couple of slices of pizza after a good workout? I always have to get something to eat right after I workout, if I don't I'll pig out the rest of the day. And as far as encouragement, are these small independent gyms going to call you and encourage you to workout? Motivation has to come from within to maintain, no matter what gym you belong too.
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options

Why does one need to ignore the pizza and bagels? If it fits in your daily calories then have at it.
    The operative word there is "IF." It's common knowledge that your typical American already consumes way too much when it comes to processed, highly caloric food. Not to mention that your typical out-of-shape joe -- PF's target clientele -- is generally less informed when it comes to calories and the amount of effort required to burn them off.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    spartan_d wrote: »

Why does one need to ignore the pizza and bagels? If it fits in your daily calories then have at it.
    The operative word there is "IF." It's common knowledge that your typical American already consumes way too much when it comes to processed, highly caloric food. Not to mention that your typical out-of-shape joe -- PF's target clientele -- is generally less informed when it comes to calories and the amount of effort required to burn them off.

You're right. Average person doesnt have a clue how many calories exercise burns.

Just did 15 minutes on the eliptical. Time to refuel with a couple pieces of pizza before going home to eat. One of the bro's said need to hit the window.
  • Pam_Shebamm
    Pam_Shebamm Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with PF. I have a membership to one and I go there to lift on occasion. I got the black card so that if I go out of town I can still work out, because my other gym only has locations near my home area. It's also open later than my regular gym, which is especially nice on holidays.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    @rakowskidp Are you sure that's not a Smith machine? Can you take the bar off the machine?
  • genpopadopolous
    genpopadopolous Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I keep a membership because at 10 bucks a month it would literally take me ten years to save for a decent treadmill. And I prefer to run/walk outside- so I only use it when I have to. I haven't been since early April cause our weather has been so great.

I use FitnessBlender and dumbbells in my basement and the great outdoors for most of my exercise.