All these 1200 calorie diets ... what happens afterwards?

Options

Replies

• DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    After losing the weight you start eating at maintenance which is higher than 1,200. For me it's about 1,600 for maintenance.

Do you find yourself gaining weight or did you have to do more exercise to maintain?

I maintain at 1,600. If I exercise I eat those calories back too.
  • Lizzypb88
    Lizzypb88 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    This does make me wonder.. I am eating 1250-1300 a day, I'm 5'4 and my job and day is very sedentary, although I'm technically obese my body has gotten pretty used to it, I don't go to bed hungry... But once a week I take off from my diet, I eat things I was craving etc and some weeks it's a lot! So I may be near 1200 calories 6 days a week but i don't think I could do it everyday, I swear my body knows when my "special" day is! I've read having a day off can boost your metabolism and reset it, and even if it doesn't, I lose (on average) 1 pound a week... If I exercise I add more calories because I'm hungry but it's not often.. Yet!
    Also I did a 1200 calorie diet years ago and got to goal and honestly, at that time as a teenager I thought, well I'm at goal, back to eating!!--- and I gained it all back plus more! I didn't know about having to increase calories for maintenance, I thought u just dieted every time ur weight went up, which I failed to do.. This time when I start exercising more I'll be adding more calories back, or if anything I'll take 2 days a week off and follow my diet during the week, hopefully that would keep me maintaining, I've read of some people who do that but I don't know if that would work... I wish I hadn't gotten down so low in my calories but with being so sedentary I think for me it's okay
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I think it depends on ur height too, I am not sure if that was mentioned, so sorry if this post is redundant...

I'm 5ft, so whether I put 1, 1.5, or 2lbs/week, I still get 1200 calories, if I put in .5 I think I get about 1400...I think when I checked my maintenance it was only about 1600

Right -- height and age matter.

My sedentary maintenance (which is what MFP goals are based on much of the time, as you don't include exercise in the base goal here, but do NEAT) is 1550, I think (5'3, 125). So even at .5 lb I'd get 1200. Doesn't matter to me since I eat back exercise (and do TDEE method anyway), so I'm currently aiming for about 1600-1700 to lose, but 1200 + exercise is not inherently an aggressive goal or vastly different from one's maintenance calories.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,984 Member
    Options
    pcpop7 wrote: »
    I see that a lot of people here eat 1200 calories. What happens after you reach your goal weight? Do you go back to eating normally? Do you then gain the weight back bit by bit? How hard is it to maintain? I'm just curious. I'm doing a Bulk with a weight lifting program and it has me eating 2000 calories. Then when I cut, I'm supposed to drop it to 1600 calories. How do people survive on 1200 calories? It seems you really have no where to go once you get to that calorie range. If your diet stops working you can't go lower.

If 2000 is a bulk for you then how is 1600 a cut ? What is you maintenance ? Cause that is not much of a differential to see significant change. The different between my bulk and cut is about 1000 calls.

Unless you have a pretty high fat percentage and you are a young male, I would think you're doing it at least half wrong. A 1,000-calorie swing between bulk and cut means roughly a pound of added weight a week during your bulk, and roughly a pound of weight loss during your cut. If you're already down to a low fat %, a pound of loss a week is probably unnecessarily sacrificing muscle, and most people are not putting on a pound of muscle a week, even most young males who are doing serious lifting, so you're probably gaining fat unnecessarily during your bulk. Unless you're a young, overweight male lifting heavy, a 1,000 calorie swing between bulk and cut is probably not optimal.
  • kimdawnhayden
    kimdawnhayden Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Well, some people hold back on cardio - and save it to break plateaus/stubborn fat at low bf % when the risks of cutting more cals outweigh the benefits.

ETA: And then, at the end of a 1200 cal restriction phase, you ideally return slowly to maintenance level cals. Not necessarily a weight gain situation.

If you're doing P90x (or is Beachbody a program itself?) - Anyway, if you're working out and burning 300 - 500 cals per workout, your deficit is about the same as someone not working out and eating 1200/day.

I'm doing Body Beast by Beachbody. It's basically a weight lifting program. Not really any cardio in it.

From what I have read/heard Body Beast is cardio-ish. Isn't it relatively light weight/high reps?

Ummm.... no.
  • kimdawnhayden
    Options
    I see that a lot of people here eat 1200 calories. What happens after you reach your goal weight? Do you go back to eating normally? Do you then gain the weight back bit by bit? How hard is it to maintain? I'm just curious. I'm doing a Bulk with a weight lifting program and it has me eating 2000 calories. Then when I cut, I'm supposed to drop it to 1600 calories. How do people survive on 1200 calories? It seems you really have no where to go once you get to that calorie range. If your diet stops working you can't go lower.

I am on 1200 calories. Why are you asking? Are you thinking of dropping down to 1200 too?
    I really hope I don't have to. My husband might divorce me or I'd end up eating my shoes. :)

I am on 1200 calories. Why are you asking? Are you thinking of dropping down to 1200 too?
    I really hope I don't have to. My husband might divorce me or I'd end up eating my shoes. :)

I guess I don't understand the point of your post then.

sorry then.
  • Myjourney2345
    Myjourney2345 Posts: 116 Member
    Options

I really don't recommend it especially if you have a lot of weight to lose. In 2009, I went from weighing 215 pounds to 118 pounds in about six months while eating only 1,200 calories. I not only lost my weight, but I also lost my sanity. I was starving and ended up gaining some of the weight back and hovered around 155 pounds for a few years before losing some more weight last year. I don't recommend it, it is not safe and unless you lay in bed the whole day it is far too little especially if you intend to exercise. You can eat food, exercise and still lose weight. I am 5'4.5, 142.4 pounds and 27 years old and I now exercise 6-7 times ; average heart rate of 165, and my workout seasons each last anywhere between 45-60 minutes) a week and consume anywhere between 1,600-2,000 calories and still manage to lose a pound a week. Slow and steady is what I think works best!
  • pcpop7
    pcpop7 Posts: 161 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    pcpop7 wrote: »

If 2000 is a bulk for you then how is 1600 a cut ? What is you maintenance ? Cause that is not much of a differential to see significant change. The different between my bulk and cut is about 1000 calls.

Unless you have a pretty high fat percentage and you are a young male, I would think you're doing it at least half wrong. A 1,000-calorie swing between bulk and cut means roughly a pound of added weight a week during your bulk, and roughly a pound of weight loss during your cut. If you're already down to a low fat %, a pound of loss a week is probably unnecessarily sacrificing muscle, and most people are not putting on a pound of muscle a week, even most young males who are doing serious lifting, so you're probably gaining fat unnecessarily during your bulk. Unless you're a young, overweight male lifting heavy, a 1,000 calorie swing between bulk and cut is probably not optimal.

Thanks for checking. It worked out ok for me, coming down was a worry cause I was probably a bit more aggressive than ideal, but lifts stayed the same so I am happy with the results.

About to hit a bulk again so will be sure to keep in mind to not go all dreamer on it. If I gained more than 2lb a month my radar would go off so don't worry about me.

Eta on hindsight I do bulk during summer which is when I am more active generally. So activity probably burns a bit during bulk I reckon
  • Myjourney2345
    Myjourney2345 Posts: 116 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    One more thing, I know I am probably an extreme case, but I had to go to therapy after literally destroying my relationship with food while consuming only 1,200 calories. On the outside I looked like a model, but inside I was dying. It really screwed with my mental and emotional state.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Well, some people hold back on cardio - and save it to break plateaus/stubborn fat at low bf % when the risks of cutting more cals outweigh the benefits.

ETA: And then, at the end of a 1200 cal restriction phase, you ideally return slowly to maintenance level cals. Not necessarily a weight gain situation.

If you're doing P90x (or is Beachbody a program itself?) - Anyway, if you're working out and burning 300 - 500 cals per workout, your deficit is about the same as someone not working out and eating 1200/day.

I'm doing Body Beast by Beachbody. It's basically a weight lifting program. Not really any cardio in it.

From what I have read/heard Body Beast is cardio-ish. Isn't it relatively light weight/high reps?

Ummm.... no.

So what percentage of your max/how many reps and sets does this program consist of? Power? Hypertrophy? Just curious. I tried to research but don't find much.
  • erinc5
    erinc5 Posts: 329 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

After you reach your goal weight, then you can up your calories to maintenance and not gain weight. It doesn't really matter what your deficit was (imo), once you are in maintenance, it is the same for everyone (eat no more than your TDEE). Some people, though, do say that it is mentally easier to maintain if your deficit while losing is smaller. But, if there are 2 people of same height and weight, age, gender, etc and one was eating at 1200 and took 6 months to get to goal, vs one eating at 1700 and took 1 year to get to goal, either way their maintenance will be the same -1900. (numbers made up, but you get the point). Some people feel okay on 1200 and they like the faster drop. For many people, that is probably too low and they will experience greater than optimal muscle loss. Usually if someone completely stops losing weight while eating on 1200, then they are not measuring their intake accurately. Most very short, light people should still lose on 1200 (albeit, quite slow for some).
  • kimdawnhayden
    edited May 2016
    Options
    It's just good old school body building. There's a leg day, back day, arm day, shoulder day, chest day. Usually 8 - 15 reps. A few 5x5's lifting heavy as you can. The guy is Sagi Kalev. He's been on the front of a lot of men's bodybuilding magazines. He's really funny. It's pretty cheap for a Beach Body program right now if you're interested.

Ummm.... no.

So what percentage of your max/how many reps and sets does this program consist of? Power? Hypertrophy? Just curious. I tried to research but don't find much.

• Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I think some of the 1200 calorie goal can sometimes stem from new(ish) people wanting to get the weight off as fast as possible. Many of us are here because we hit that moment where we'd had enough of being overweight and out of shape. People have that moment, they come here and enter the maximum weight loss per week possible and end up with 1200 calories. Mentally, people calculate ... "I need to lose 20 pounds, if I lose two pounds per week, I can be done with this in just ten weeks!" I'm pretty sure I thought like that at one point.

They haven't yet realized weight loss isn't linear, being close to your goal weight typically means a less aggressive weight loss goal, etc. Losing weight is a journey not a destination, but it's so easy to only be focused on the end result when you're starting out.
  • kimdawnhayden
    edited May 2016
    Options
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-LAMhKp-Y6VQ/T-8eKpVnuiI/AAAAAAAAHqg/KE9xzraLMcg/s1600/sagi.jpg
    Here's a picture of the trainer Sagi from Body Beast you may recognize him.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    It's just good old school body building. There's a leg day, back day, arm day, shoulder day, chest day. Usually 8 - 15 reps. A few 5x5's lifting heavy as you can. The guy is Sagi Kalev. He's been on the front of a lot of men's bodybuilding magazines. He's really funny. It's pretty cheap for a Beach Body program right now if you're interested.

Nah I have a power lifting/body building program. Thanks though because I was just curious. It is not a talked bout program in my circles.