All these 1200 calorie diets ... what happens afterwards?

Options

Replies

• RebeccaNaegle
    RebeccaNaegle Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I see that a lot of people here eat 1200 calories. What happens after you reach your goal weight? Do you go back to eating normally? Do you then gain the weight back bit by bit? How hard is it to maintain? I'm just curious. I'm doing a Bulk with a weight lifting program and it has me eating 2000 calories. Then when I cut, I'm supposed to drop it to 1600 calories. How do people survive on 1200 calories? It seems you really have no where to go once you get to that calorie range. If your diet stops working you can't go lower.

1200 is about what I eat. 1199 I think, to be exact. This is my "cutting" weight, and after I am done cutting, I will go back to maintenance around 1500. I follow strict macros while I am cutting, and do not plan to go lower than 1200 unless it is for prep on a fitness comp.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    It's just good old school body building. There's a leg day, back day, arm day, shoulder day, chest day. Usually 8 - 15 reps. A few 5x5's lifting heavy as you can. The guy is Sagi Kalev. He's been on the front of a lot of men's bodybuilding magazines. He's really funny. It's pretty cheap for a Beach Body program right now if you're interested.

at what weight is the 8-15?

Just curious I am looking for a new program of heavy lifting.

Currently doing upper lower split at 70% of my max.

so I am doing 160lb DL, 95lb bench, 68lb ohp and 135lb squat
  • kimdawnhayden
    kimdawnhayden Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    It's just good old school body building. There's a leg day, back day, arm day, shoulder day, chest day. Usually 8 - 15 reps. A few 5x5's lifting heavy as you can. The guy is Sagi Kalev. He's been on the front of a lot of men's bodybuilding magazines. He's really funny. It's pretty cheap for a Beach Body program right now if you're interested.

Nah I have a power lifting/body building program. Thanks though because I was just curious. It is not a talked bout program in my circles.

So what kind of programs are you doing?
  • kimdawnhayden
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

at what weight is the 8-15?

Just curious I am looking for a new program of heavy lifting.

Currently doing upper lower split at 70% of my max.

so I am doing 160lb DL, 95lb bench, 68lb ohp and 135lb squat
    Whatever your Light/Medium/Heavy is for you. He doesn't give you a specific weight. You have awesome numbers!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options

Nah I have a power lifting/body building program. Thanks though because I was just curious. It is not a talked bout program in my circles.

In the past I have done things like Wendlers 5/3/1 and Strong Lifts. I've been running PHUL since October though. Two power days, two hypertrophy days. Upper and Lower splits. With added glute work from Strong Curves.
  • mirihawk
    mirihawk Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    When I lost all my weight last time, I was eating about 2000 cals. I was in my early 30s. I'm in my 50s and I'm eating around 1600. I would never eat 1200. Not if you paid me. When my intake is low my metabolism just crawls and I don't lose any weight. Those VLC diets make me gain weight... its important to understand your individual tolerance.
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    After losing on the 1200 you move to maintenance calories? Just a guess.
  • kimdawnhayden
    edited May 2016
    Options

In the past I have done things like Wendlers 5/3/1 and Strong Lifts. I've been running PHUL since October though. Two power days, two hypertrophy days. Upper and Lower splits. With added glute work from Strong Curves.

I ordered the 5/3/1 book a long time ago. I've never done it. I may pull it out next. The PHUL looks interesting. Only 4 days.?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options

I ordered the 5/3/1 book a long time ago. I've never done it. I may pull it out next. The PHUL looks interesting. Only 4 days.?

Yep. It's kind of based on Layne Norton's PHAT model but with one less day and a bit less volume. But it can be adjusted so much. When I was bulking I was upping volume weekly.
  • foxygirl14
    foxygirl14 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I assume once I finishing losing weight on 1200 cal I can switch to maintaining at ~1500 and stay stagnant. That's what maintenance means.
  • foxygirl14
    foxygirl14 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I assume once I finishing losing weight on 1200 cal I can switch to maintaining at ~1500 and stay stagnant. That's what maintenance means.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I'm 5'3, 46 years old, and started with seriously sedentary lifestyle following a back surgery. I started at 1200 + half exercise calories (doctor recommended and supervised) until I got down out of the obese BMI category.

I admit that when I first tried the 1200 he wanted me to do, back in May of last year, I went nuts and quit within a couple weeks. This time, back in October, I started at 1600 and then cut out 100 calories at a time until I was in loss, and kt was at around 1200 that I was finally losing a pound a week. Once I figured out the right balance of protein and carbs, I felt pretty good. Plus, after I'd logged at 1600 for a couple weeks, it was really easy to see what I didn't need in my diet (that whole tablespoon of mayo on my turkey sandwich, for example) and cutting down my intake didn't feel like I was depriving myself at all. But by the time I was down to being on the edge of no longer obese, I was starting to feel real hunger. Even just going up another 130 calories was awesome- and I haven't really changed what I'm eating, just increased portions of what I do eat. ( Also, I tend to game my exercise calories a little. I really really want a snack, so I jump on the stepper for half an hour. My thighs are getting seriously awesome!)

Once i get down to 'healthy weight', and am happy with where I'm at physically, I plan to just do the same thing in reverse- Gradually add in calories until I'm in maintenance. :)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

I did wendler 5/3/1 as well...4 days a week first couple of rounds I did the accessory work but haven't in a couple rounds.

I have considered doing a PHUL as well just haven't moved to it yet.
  • Wicked_Seraph
    Wicked_Seraph Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I'm a 5'5" 25-year-old woman who started at 226 lbs, and is currently at somewhere between 192-194lbs. I work an office job.

My calorie goal is 1200 to lose in the ballpark of 2lbs a week - only because, as you can probably see, I had (and still have) a considerable amount of weight to lose to be at an appropriate weight for my height.

I've survived perfectly fine. Some days are tougher than others, but only because of falling back into old eating habits rather than embracing a healthier perspective on food. I tend to skip breakfast and eat a small lunch, which suits me fine. Dinner is my favorite meal of the day, so I like to save my calories to enjoy dinner with my family. It might not sound ~ideal, but I've tried spacing out calories throughout the day. It works better for me to be able to enjoy dinner (and maybe even dessert) and not freak out over OMG ONLY 500 CALORIES LEFT FOR DINNER. Combine this with the fact that I always eat AFTER exercise, and that gives me even more wiggle room. On days where I'm feeling hungrier, I eat back my exercise calories, though not all of them since MFP/Fitbit is probably overestimating.

I'm not gonna eat at 1200 cals/day when I'm at my goal weight. I would determine my appropriate maintenance calories and stick with that!
  • lindalee0315
    lindalee0315 Posts: 527 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I see that a lot of people here eat 1200 calories. What happens after you reach your goal weight? Do you go back to eating normally? Do you then gain the weight back bit by bit? How hard is it to maintain? I'm just curious. I'm doing a Bulk with a weight lifting program and it has me eating 2000 calories. Then when I cut, I'm supposed to drop it to 1600 calories. How do people survive on 1200 calories? It seems you really have no where to go once you get to that calorie range. If your diet stops working you can't go lower.

I've done Body Beast, which I loved, and 21 DFX which I loved for its meal program. I really do credit that program with changing how I eat. (I'm not a coach). I start a very brief (two week) meal program courtesy of my coach next week which has me at 1300 calories 5x, 1800 calories 2x each week and I'm panicking because I'm normally at 1640 5 days and 1750 2 days. The "diet" is just designed to add a bunch of nutrient dense foods and see if I can raise my so-called cellular health. I'm not sold on the machine that allegedly tells you what your "cellular health" is, but my coach has changed my life with weightlifting, she is very healthy, and doesn't advocate starvation diets or anything extreme. I eat a ton more than I ever used to, wear the same clothing I did 11 years ago in law school (post baby and everything--same suits!), and exercise a ton less. When I do exercise it's intense--but I don't go at it 90 minutes 6x a week. More like 60 minutes 5x a week. At any rate, my difference between maintenance and cut is about 350 calories a day. My difference at a bulk would likely be about 500 calories a day.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    I lost 1 lbs a week on 1200, .5lbs a week on 1200, .25lbs a week on 1200 and have maintained for 6 years on 1200 as my basic calorie goal.

That is sedentary, and this past fall when ill I actually had to force myself to eat even that much. What that impromptu experiment showed me was that at very sedentary I gain .25 lbs a week at 1200.

Of course I eat much closer to 1400-1500 because I am more active work out and lift heavy, but 1200 is an appropriate basic calorie level for me.

I started 54yo, 5'1, 130. Now 62yo, 100-105. Age makes a difference of about 50 cals less per decade for someone with my sats.

Cheers, h
  • kimdawnhayden
    Options

Maybe you posted this earlier or elsewhere in the thread, but I'm too lazy to find it--what BB program are you doing? I only ask because I've done Body Beast, which I loved, and 21 DFX which I loved for its meal program. I really do credit that program with changing how I eat. (I'm not a coach). I start a very brief (two week) meal program courtesy of my coach next week which has me at 1300 calories 5x, 1800 calories 2x each week and I'm panicking because I'm normally at 1640 5 days and 1750 2 days. The "diet" is just designed to add a bunch of nutrient dense foods and see if I can raise my so-called cellular health. I'm not sold on the machine that allegedly tells you what this, but my coach has changed my life with weightlifting. I eat a ton more than I ever used to, wear the same clothing I did 11 years ago in law school (post baby and everything--same suits!), and exercise a ton less. When I do exercise it's intense--but I don't go at it 90 minutes 6x a week. More like 60 minutes 5x a week. At any rate, my difference between maintenance and cut is about 350 calories a day. My difference at a bulk would likely be about 500 calories a day.

I'm doing Body Beast. I don't think it's as well known as a program since it's not a typical Beach Body program.
  • lindalee0315
    lindalee0315 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I

I'm doing Body Beast. I don't think it's as well known as a program since it's not a typical Beach Body program.[/quote]

It is, actually! There is a "secret" FB group I am in that has about 4000 women who do it. Their results are really inspiring. It used to be called "Body Beast for Women" but Beachbody apparently had a problem with the group using the name "Body Beast". It's a fantastic, supportive group where people are not snarky--but are really helpful. They've developed a ton of hybrid programs using other BB programs as well as free programs you can find on Bodybuilding.com (e.g., "Charlie Mike"). It's because of all the women who got involved in it that the "Hammer & Chisel" program was developed. I don't know anything about that program, as I'm currently not doing anything Beachbody, but their programs are well-designed.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    It REALLY depends on whether people eat their calories back or not. There's really a huge difference between 'eating 1200 calories' and 'using MFP the way it's intended with a goal of 1200 calories'.

I never ate less than 1650 to lose but I'm sure I had a NET of 1200 or less quite a few times - and still do, really.

Plus if the average person who uses MFP the way it's designed trusts machines for their calorie burns, they're probably eating more than 1200 NET anyway.