Thinking about taking my food scale to Golden Corral tonight

Options

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options
    AlphaCajun wrote: »
    Don't let these fools tell you how to live your life. In the words of two very popular faces in the fitness/youtube community... Do whatever the fffffffffffuck you wanna do. I'm certain they'll have some morbidly obese woman there with no bra under a floral shirt that will distract the unwashed masses from even noticing your tools of science.

No one is telling her how to live her life - she asked a question and we are answering it.

Of course she can do whatever she wants to do, she doesn't have to ask MFP - but I am presuming since she did, she wanted honest answers.

• tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    So.. I like to go to pizza ranch. It's got a buffet and I can log what I eat. I don't weigh the though. I photograph each plate instead. People probably think I'm some hipster updating their Instagram, not counting calories. It's an estimate to be sure but it's one day every few months so I don't sweat it. Also, I only course foods I know how to log.
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Heartisalonelyhunter Posts: 786 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    There used to be an awesome show called 'I'm Alan Partridge' and he brought his own 10 inch plate to a buffet. It was hilarious. Bringing a food scale to a buffet is very Partridge-esque
  • sindirella21
    sindirella21 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Well...what happened?!
  • mis1022
    mis1022 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Nope but I do this at home. Scoop out what I think is a serving of pb and then check o.j. good scale. I have become quite accurate, I am satisfied that I can eyeball my portions when out.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    OP, if I'm understanding you correctly, the purpose of bringing the scale to the restaurant is so that you can see how accurate you are at "eyeballing" portions.

If that's the case, why can't you do this at home? Why can't you say, "OK, this looks like 3 oz of chicken to me", put it on the scale, and see how much it weighs?

I guess I'm just confused as to why this experiment has to be done at a restaurant.
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    @ummijaaz560 so... Are you going to tell us what happened???
  • laurenwilson60629
    laurenwilson60629 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I personally would not just because I get embarrassed easily and hate when I know people are looking at me but If your gonna do it go for it! I would rather do it at a buffet than a sit down resturaunt in a booth where you have a server and and everyone is in close quarters
  • Pam_1965
    Pam_1965 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I really want to bring my scale with me to the frozen yogurt shop! I am almost positive I will, one of these days. :p
  • aprilricks86
    aprilricks86 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Naa...I can understand how bikini competitors and pro athlete do it, but not I! I also would never bring a scale to someone's house...I think that'd be worse than to Golden Corral. As far as embarrassing people, I personally wouldn't care if one of my friends or another patron was doing that. My thought would probably be "oh there's someone very serious about calorie / portion tracking" and move along. There's probably far weirder sights at Golden Corral anyway lol...
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Pam_1965 wrote: »
    I really want to bring my scale with me to the frozen yogurt shop! I am almost positive I will, one of these days. :p
    If it's anything like Tutti Frutti, where they charge by the weight, you can say you're trying to make sure you don't pay too much.

• MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I would be more embarrassed about being at Golden Corral.
    Never again. D:

Thank you! It's awful.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Personally, I wouldn't. That said, it's Golden Corral. It's not exactly high-class, suit-and-tie fine dining. If anyone comments, you can just say that you're diabetic or something and need to use the scale to calculate your exchanges or something.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Why don't you just practice this challenge at home? Eyeball then weigh and see how you did.
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I love this thread title, literally laughed out loud. Take that food scale everywhere, baby! Take it to bed and sleep with it.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    I love this thread title, literally laughed out loud. Take that food scale everywhere, baby! Take it to bed and sleep with it.

You making me laugh
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    Am waiting now to see how it went too
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,596 Member
    Options
    Pam_1965 wrote: »

Do they not weigh your frozen yogurt for you so they know how much to charge?

There's a place I go to where you can see the weight on the scale when you put your container on it. The first time I did it to weigh the toppings before adding the yogurt, the worker automatically told me the weight of the container.

Bring your scale or use theirs. No one cares and they've probably seen it all. :)

OP, I wanna know how it went too! This is something I would totally do...mostly to test myself because my stomach is bigger than my eyes when taking my own portions.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the update!

But aww man. Now I have to go eat my tuna sandwich after reading this. (No Golden Corral outing planned and I am not a stellar cook :( )