Sit ups and belly fat

Options
SCP0914
SCP0914 Posts: 74 Member
I'm 5'3 and 140 lbs, a little more than I'd like to weigh but I've been able to easily maintain at this weight. My problem is, most of my fat is on my tummy. Is this something I can help with exercises like situps or will I simply have to cut more calories to get rid of my tummy?

Replies

• MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce. You need to be in caloric deficit to burn fat. Firming up your abs will certainly make a difference, but the fat won't disappear without burning the calories.
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Diet is key! You can do crunches and situps forever, but it won't matter if you aren't eating right.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    SCP0914 wrote: »
    I'm 5'3 and 140 lbs, a little more than I'd like to weigh but I've been able to easily maintain at this weight. My problem is, most of my fat is on my tummy. Is this something I can help with exercises like situps or will I simply have to cut more calories to get rid of my tummy?

The latter...
  • SCP0914
    SCP0914 Posts: 74 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Yes, I know this. Like I said, I'm comfortable at maintaining my current weight. If I tried for anything lower, I'd feel like I'd struggle too much. I was just hoping to see if there was anything I could to help my body fat (which seems to all sit in my belly) while maintaining my current caloric goal.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I'd you don't want to lower your calories in, you have to increase your calories out...so start some cardio or other exercises to burn some calories.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    ^*If
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    SCP0914 wrote: »
    Yes, I know this. Like I said, I'm comfortable at maintaining my current weight. If I tried for anything lower, I'd feel like I'd struggle too much. I was just hoping to see if there was anything I could to help my body fat (which seems to all sit in my belly) while maintaining my current caloric goal.

You probably want to do a recomposition then. Basically you eat at maintenance while following a structured lifting program. Everyone here usually starts by recommending Strong Lifts 5x5.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    and sit ups work mainly the hip flexors,not so much the abs anyway. even if you could spot reduce they wouldnt help the tummy area
  • cmarangi
    cmarangi Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I find that depending on the type of food I'm eating, I have more pooch than at other times as well because of bloating. Sodas, wheat and sugar are my bad boys. You can see if that helps as well. Not everyone is the same.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I'd you don't want to lower your calories in, you have to increase your calories out...so start some cardio or other exercises to burn some calories.

Agreed.