Real Food, Whole Food, Cooking at Home

Options
JennyLynnMSO
JennyLynnMSO Posts: 12 Member
edited February 2016 in Food and Nutrition
Hey all. I'm looking to find a community of people on here who prepare their own food, for the most part, from whole ingredients. I'm not a purist or anything--I'm a pastry chef in real life, actually, so I'm often straying to the dark side of over-processed and calorie-dense "foods." I am motivated by other people's stories and struggles, but so far I'm not inspired by anyone's food diaries. I'd love to find some friends who think about nutrition, not just calories. I'd love to share recipes and meal ideas, too.

Please add me if you're a real foodie too!

Replies

• chrissymfred
    chrissymfred Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm sending you a friend request!
  • GsKiki
    GsKiki Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Hello! Feel free to add me! I am a huuuge foodie, but I also like to eat healthy and balanced meals. I share my favourite recipes here on mfp blog http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/GsKiki.
  • JennyLynnMSO
    JennyLynnMSO Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    GsKiki wrote: »
    Hello! Feel free to add me! I am a huuuge foodie, but I also like to eat healthy and balanced meals. I share my favourite recipes here on mfp blog http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/GsKiki.

Thanks, I'll scope your blog. Sending you a request now. <3
  • OatmealBowl
    OatmealBowl Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I just threw out much of the processed food in the home and restocked with real food & ingredients. Things like:

-yams and white potatoes
    -kale, green onions, artichokes
    -apricots, tangerines, apples, bananas
    -oatmeal, brown rice, quinoa, chickpeas
    -mushrooms, chili peppers, purple onion, bell peppers
    -cucumbers and avocados
    -cottage cheese and almond milk
    -pineapple, mango, watermelon, grapes
    -chicken, steak, turkey, salmon
    -fresh spinach noodles

I also picked up organic blue corn chips and sesame pita chips (all made with real ingredients)
    I definitely recommend going to a local Asian market for produce and fresh noodles.

Daughter says, "did you buy any real food?". I laughed. Now I will prep so she has easy snacks and food to put together.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    You'd probably like about half of what I eat. I'm low carb, so tons of high fibre veggies, high fat, moderate protein. Protein is where I may eat more processed stuff (for example lunch today was masses of spinach, mushrooms, pepper, cucumber, avocado, canned tuna and store bought mayo). Supper tonight will be stir fried veggies. I haven't decided on the protein yet. Either egg or chicken breast.
  • ShodanPrime
    ShodanPrime Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I actually bought a mill so I could make my own flour at home. I get bags of different types of wheat, and hire a neighbor kid at a few bucks an hour to get all the rocks out and wash the grain. Then once it is dry I run it through the mill. Good stuff.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I think I fit your description! I love food, I care about nutrition, I love to cook, and I love to eat. Actually, I don't really consider my meals as "cooking", more as "assembling", but I do what I do from mostly single food ingredients. I have a photo food diary here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10386508/my-meals-w-pics#latest
  • OatmealBowl
    OatmealBowl Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »
    You'd probably like about half of what I eat. I'm low carb, so tons of high fibre veggies, high fat, moderate protein. Protein is where I may eat more processed stuff (for example lunch today was masses of spinach, mushrooms, pepper, cucumber, avocado, canned tuna and store bought mayo). Supper tonight will be stir fried veggies. I haven't decided on the protein yet. Either egg or chicken breast.

You just reminded me that I bought plain yogurt to sub mayo. You could always add lentils, edamame or tofu as a protein. (Your meal sounds delish)

• JoanHoward123
    JoanHoward123 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am also on the journey of cooking and eating mostly real foods. Already feeling south better after giving up diet soda and most processed foods. I have been following Lisa Leake and her blog - 100 days of real food - it has been very inspiring!