Say no to cholesterol

Options

Replies

• simplycidalia73
    simplycidalia73 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    One also has to be careful of the (really) high carb (ultra) low fat fad going around in vegan circles. Consuming more carbs than one burns is actually resulting in more than a few vegans ending up with high LDL and low HDL cholesterol.
  • williammuney
    williammuney Posts: 2,895 Member
    Options
    My cholesterol is116, I eat whatever I want but am sure to smash in the greens
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options

There's such a thing as too low of cholesterol causing issues, has your doctor said anything to you about your number? Mine was at 150 and my doctor didn't want me to get it any lower, so I actually stopped taking fish oil because that can lower it even more. Now it's 167 and my doctor is pretty happy with it there. Just curious to what you're hearing from your doctor :)
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,951 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Stphallenm wrote: »
    Eat plant-based

Say no to heart diseases!

Lol..

No...
  • shank35l
    shank35l Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Eat plant-based

I'm just maximizing gains on my post count here.

Also, OP needs an egg.
  • mayoosh_primrose
    mayoosh_primrose Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I am eating a plant-based diet and I know there are conflicting thoughts about cholesterol and such, but I'm happy with it and that's the point :smile: everyone should eat what makes them feel satisfied and happy
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,951 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    Eat plant-based

Lol..

No...

Wow, nice to know I am being edited...
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,651 Member
    Options
    Eat plant-based

Lol..

No...

I actually kinda thought that was the perfect post. :)
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »
    Eat plant-based

Lol..

No...

I actually kinda thought that was the perfect post. :)

And likely accurate.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Where are the studies? All I see is a bunch of hyperlinks to other pieces on that website.

Oh, that's right - it's a sensationalist website. They probably wouldn't actually know how to read a study, much less conduct one.
  • HealthierRayne
    HealthierRayne Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    Where are the studies? All I see is a bunch of hyperlinks to other pieces on that website.

Oh, that's right - it's a sensationalist website. They probably wouldn't actually know how to read a study, much less conduct one.

The hyperlinks all go to the actual studies themselves via "sources cited"

I wasn't about to spam the entire thread with dozens of studies about different aspects of cholesterol - I thought it would be more beneficial for people to search for aspects that interest them more specifically and then can go to that specific research.

It's not a sensationalist website, it is strictly science based where Dr. Greger M.D. FACLM summarizes the studies in an easy to understand manner while still providing links to those studies, no smoke and mirrors.

" A founding member and Fellow of the American College of Lifestyle Medicine, Dr. Greger is licensed as a general practitioner specializing in clinical nutrition. Currently he proudly serves as the public health director at the Humane Society of the United States. Dr. Greger is a graduate of the Cornell University School of Agriculture and the Tufts University School of Medicine... Dr. Greger receives no compensation for his work on NutritionFacts.org."
  • williammuney
    williammuney Posts: 2,895 Member
    Options

There's such a thing as too low of cholesterol causing issues, has your doctor said anything to you about your number? Mine was at 150 and my doctor didn't want me to get it any lower, so I actually stopped taking fish oil because that can lower it even more. Now it's 167 and my doctor is pretty happy with it there. Just curious to what you're hearing from your doctor :)

My doctor is astounded at my numbers thinks it's great
  • rontafoya
    rontafoya Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    My diet is high in both dietary cholesterol and saturated fats, and all my numbers are stellar, I have a six pack (at age 47), and have never felt better.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Eat plant-based

Lol..

No...

I'm sad now. I thought it was good, but it was probably awesome before and I missed it.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

It's not a sensationalist website, it is strictly science based

You're joking, right?
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Actually, dietary cholesterol has now been shown to have no correlation to blood cholesterol levels.
    It's also beneficial for hormone production.

I just like the truth. I like vegetables too, but I happily consume 10+ eggs each week and there's nothing wrong with my blood panels.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    rontafoya wrote: »
    My diet is high in both dietary cholesterol and saturated fats, and all my numbers are stellar, I have a six pack (at age 47), and have never felt better.

Plus, that mustache. I'll have what you're having!