What is your goal weight and why?

Options
Does your goal depend on a BMI? A weight that you once were? A weight of someone you know/celebrity that you admire? A doctors suggestion? Your own idea? Something you saw on the television/in a magazine??

And why do you want that specific weight? So you are healthy? Fit into that perfect LBD (little black dress) that you have always dreamed of? Get more attention from the opposite sex/same sex (depending on your preferences) To be able to run around with your kids? To act your age?... The list is endless, but what is YOUR goal weight and why?

Please also include how tall you are :-)

The reason why I am asking is because I said that my goal was to lose a stone (to become about 10.4) but i'm not sure if that is the right attitude or goal. I want to lose weight because of my breast enlargement (hopefully happening in Aug/Sept) but I am also not really sure how much weight to lose :/ I have seen people posting in these forums about BMI's but it kinda goes over my head :/

(I'm 5"6 and currently just at 10.13)
I am following my journey through vlogs and videos on youtube, please support it by checking it out :-)
http://www.youtube.com/shybreasts

Thank you!! And feel free to friend me :-D!
XXX

Replies

• Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    I haven't updated my sig yet, but my goal weight is 150. And yea, I estimated it based on the BMI. I was hoping by 175 most of the fat in my chest and belly would be gone, but nope, looks like I still got a bit more to burn off.
  • CodyD18
    CodyD18 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I'm about 5'7" and a half - 5'8". I seem to grow a little or shrink a little every time I go to the doctors haha. My goal weight is about 160-165 lbs because I once weighed 175ish and I was still pretty chubby then. But that's when I was like 16 and I've built a lot of muscle so I figure 160 is reasonable!

Also, I hate BMI.
  • ShyBreasts
    ShyBreasts Posts: 91
    Options
    Also, I hate BMI.

Haha I don't think you are alone there! There are so many debates about BMI being completely inaccurate because rugby teams are classed as morbidly obese from their BMIs just because muscles weigh more than fat :/
  • skinnyminimoni
    Options
    I'm 5'7 and my goal weight is 140-ish. I use the site mybodygallery.com to see what other bodies look like at my height and weight, and judge what I want to look like from there.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I'm still not sure what my goal is! Lol I started by saying "I'll just keep losing until I cross into a healthy bmi" well I'm here now and I estimate that it will take another 20-ish lbs before I will think I'm done. I ignored the scale so effectively for so long I do not know what a good adult weight for myself is!
  • dida0721
    dida0721 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    My height is 5'6 and my goal weight is 150 so that I am out of the "overweight" category on health websites.
  • CodyD18
    CodyD18 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Also, I hate BMI.

Haha I don't think you are alone there! There are so many debates about BMI being completely inaccurate because rugby teams are classed as morbidly obese from their BMIs just because muscles weigh more than fat :/

Seriously. There was a time where I honestly believed that I needed to weigh like 130-140. Which is way to low for me. It is very inaccurate because there are a lot of things it doesn't take into account like muscle mass and the persons frame. For example, I have a friend who is about 5'10" and he weighs 130 and my brother is also 5'10" but with a bigger frame and he would probably be dead if he was 130. He's ideal weight is more around 190. But BMI tells him he's either overweight or obese.. I don't remember.
  • FaithandFitness
    FaithandFitness Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I have set 175 for my goal weight, and that is my goal, but we'll see as I get closer. I remember feeling pretty small when I was 175 (I am 5'10" . . .but I am so much more muscular at my current weight (200) than I was when I was here last time so I am not sure what my end number will be . . .all I know is I am not there yet.
  • MrsRadder
    MrsRadder Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3" at 175 pounds all the charts say I am Obese 33.1% BMI... I kept thinking WHAT!! How am I Obese! I know I could drop a few pounds but I am a Fire Fighter for crying out loud... so I paid the money to get a real BMI number and you know what it's all a numbers game. Weight isn't as important as how healthy you are. I am still coming to terms with that everyday because it's hard to be 'the big girl'. But here I am at 5'3" 175 pounds with a real BMI of 19.3%. I am trying to get to 153 which was what I weighed when I got married. But know full well I wont make it because my muscle alone is 146 pounds. Thank you to the wonderful trainer who took the time to figure out my true BMI.
    :wink: You can hate BMI charts... but the really deal is worth paying for!
  • Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    My goal weight is 145 lbs, which at 5 foot 6 1/2 is right in the middle of my healthy weight range. This requires me to lose a total of 130 lbs, and I'm almost halfway there.
  • neonwilde
    neonwilde Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    i suppose my goal is around 147lbs for my 5ft7 frame, i pretty much feel totally vile the way i am now, i was so happy when i weighed myself this morning and weighed 157lbs on analogue scales but then tonight my digital scales arrived and i'm now around 166 =/ which was what i originally started at on the analogues :/ urgh, better just carry on the way i am i suppose, even though its totally heartbreaking
  • thenewkarisa
    thenewkarisa Posts: 207
    Options
    I'm 5'7 and my goal weight is 140-ish. I use the site mybodygallery.com to see what other bodies look like at my height and weight, and judge what I want to look like from there.

cool I'm going to check it out....
  • ltaylore
    ltaylore Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'm 5"5' and my goal weight is 147. I chose this because it will be exactly 30lbs lost and I will be at a healthy BMI. It is also a weight that I can live with. Dieting and excercising is to hard when you're trying to lose weight. I ready to get to my goal weight and then do just enought to maintain it.
  • thenewkarisa
    thenewkarisa Posts: 207
    Options
    I am 260 and want to be 145 (at least) according to what my BMI calculator suggests... I have diabetes in my family - lost my grandpa when I was 3 in his early 60s and my dad is now 57 or 58 and I'm turning 24 next month... I can't make him change his ways and he has no intentions of doing so... so I will stop the trend here and worry about myself. Also, I have always been overweight and don't want to live the rest of my life like this - I want to be alive and not just live!
  • RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I am 5'6 and my first goal weight is 170. I just want to get there and maintain to know that I can get there. Ultimate goal is somewhere between 155-165. I will be happy with the 170 though when I get there. About 40 more pounds to go!
  • cjs3001
    cjs3001 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    No idea! Maybe about 170, something like that. I think that with my shape if I lose too much I might be a little disproportioned. I know it won't put me at a 'healthy' BMI (I'm 5 foot 6ish) but I'm fairly happy with that. I think as long as I look how I want to look I'm not THAT bothered by weight I don't think. Though I'm bloody excited to get there! :bigsmile:
  • Lunachic77
    Lunachic77 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4"...initially my goal was to get to 120 lbs. I used 120 lbs as a goal because i used to be teeny tiny before I had kids (under 100lbs) and I didn't want to get that low in weight because I don't think it fits me or my age anymore. I achieved that goal and felt that another 5 lbs would be more suited to how I looked. Once I hit my final goal of 115 lbs I am now at the awkward stage of trying to find the right maintenance goal. I am experimenting with different calorie goals to find the "ideal" one since I am still losing weight.

I don't go by BMI...never have.
  • ShyBreasts
    ShyBreasts Posts: 91
    Options
    I use the site mybodygallery.com to see what other bodies look like at my height and weight, and judge what I want to look like from there.

Thank you for sharing that! I have never seen a website like that before, it looks like it could be extremely useful! :-D
  • meg0013
    meg0013 Posts: 102
    Options
    mine is around 150. i'm 5'7 and i started out at 250 -- but this morning i was 179. only 29 more, hopefully :)
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    My initial goal was based on being in the middle of my BMI. I didn't see it as being realistic, or at least not focusing on it. My goal weight is 210 right now because it seems doable. I plan on getting skin removal surgery eventually, and based on my consultation, I'm going to adjust my goal. I just want to be able to actually see muscle definition and that I actually have abs and obliques.

By the way, I'm 6'3" (well really, 6'2.75", but I round up. lol)