What's your best little tip that has helped you?

Replies

• sylvie782
    sylvie782 Posts: 12 Member
    edited May 2016
    I tell myself : "imagine how you'll feel in an hour if you haven't done it."
  • 2307dee
    2307dee Posts: 62 Member
    I keep a few photos of myself at 100kg (220lb) on my phone. I also have some nice ones taken recently. When I need some motivation I just check out my photo album... Try it. You'll be surprised xx
  • aimesuk
    aimesuk Posts: 51 Member
    Mine is to know my limitations.

I'm a classic yoyo dieter, I fall off the wagon really easily. I've been doing slimming world since Feb and I feel like my relationship with food is slowly changing - sure, I still eat the wrong things sometimes but I can forgive myself now. I don't self sabotage an entire week because one meal didn't go well.

Also, I've learned not to put too much faith in timescales! I used to be the person who'd have a 2lb a week loss noted in my diary and I'd be annoyed if I didn't hit it. Now, I work on the fact that I'd like a 2lb loss but the important thing is changing my attitude.
  • marty_smith
    marty_smith Posts: 102 Member
    Weighing food
    Patience - this will take 6 months of a dieting routine
    Treat days at the weekend are fine.
    Try and keep active as best you can, doesnt need to be over the top or too hard... Just something. Even if its a 15 minute jog with breaks of walking and doing it twice a week.
  • huntersmom2016
    huntersmom2016 Posts: 185 Member
    2307dee wrote: »
    I keep a few photos of myself at 100kg (220lb) on my phone. I also have some nice ones taken recently. When I need some motivation I just check out my photo album... Try it. You'll be surprised xx

I do that also!!! It really works!
  • ReadyforOctober
    ReadyforOctober Posts: 13 Member
    jacki865 wrote: »
    giving up sodas and only drinking water is what has helped me the most. times a
    That is the one thing I struggle with the most, letting go of soda
  • Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    One of the biggest tricks that helped me succeed in the long run was learning that going over one day was not the end of the world. I had an issue with going over by 100-200 calories and then furthering my own sabotage by eating even more because "I already failed, might as well keep going."

But then, somebody posted something on a message board that stuck out to me: If you drop your cell phone on the ground, are you going to continue stomping on it until you completely smash it? No. And I don't think anybody would. That really helped put into perspective what I was doing. Going over by a few hundred calories is like dropping my cell phone. Continuing to eat is just crushing it even more, even though it was completely salvageable before.
  • Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    jacki865 wrote: »
    giving up sodas and only drinking water is what has helped me the most. times a
    That is the one thing I struggle with the most, letting go of soda

Tbh, I just started drinking diet soda. I know people think it's worse for you than regular soda (hint: not really) but if you're truly struggling with it, you might look into going to diet soda for a little while and then cutting it off completely. It's about baby steps sometimes.
  • aprilkorn
    aprilkorn Posts: 26 Member
    I had a big problem with impusive eating. I would see something tempting and eat it and immediately regret it. Now I take the time to ask myself if I'm actually hungry and I ask myself if the few minutes satisfaction of the junk food is more valuable than reaching my goals.
  • hoorayselma
    hoorayselma Posts: 127 Member
    When hungry i chew gum ,
    Whenever i do i chore i do it the long way like if i do laundry i dont dump the clothes all at once but i i bend take an item stick it in the washing machine then take another article of clothing and put it in the washing machine and then bend down take another article and put it in the machine again also when I fold clothes that are washed I don't fold it and put it in a pile then take them to the rooms , what I do is I take the pants ,fold, go put it in my closet ...then go back for the shirt fold it, put it in the drawer..then go back to pile, fold the next articale of clothing and take it to the room and put it in the drawer...etc.
  • rubyweapon8503
    rubyweapon8503 Posts: 24 Member
    On the weekends, I walk for exercise and work in running intervals. I've been trying to increase the length of time I run. I've been watching The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, and this quote from the show helps me run for just a little bit longer: "A person can stand just about anything for 10 seconds, then you just start on a new 10 seconds. All you’ve got to do is take it 10 seconds at a time."
  • getitamb
    getitamb Posts: 2,019 Member
    Change things up. Don't be married to anything. That goes for food or working out. You have to be willing to try new things so you'll stick with it. And no matter what, this journey is yours. Don't get derailed by others expect.
  • 12Sarah2015
    12Sarah2015 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Eat oats for breakfast
  • Syneea
    Syneea Posts: 451 Member
    Etsar73 wrote: »
    If I go over my calorie intake like a did BIG TIME two weeks ago, I carry it over to the next day/s or the next week/weeks! I overate by a lot so I took some of those calories and spread them out over two weeks. It's not 'out of mind and out of sight'. I used to just leave them and move on but it adds up. My body doesn't stop counting calories day to day, it's over time and evens out. I started working out for a while but it was the only time I stopped losing weight in my journey (almost 4 weeks of no weightloss). I am putting working out/gym on hold until I lose the weight (not much to go and it was my original plan). I do want to be healthy and not just thin and I was really enjoying gym. I have a very busy job so that is enough for now.

Yep, I try to keep overages to a minimum as well, but when I have them, like you, I space them out for the week. I generally keep the spacing within a week's time though.

• OlyCapitalChick
    OlyCapitalChick Posts: 236 Member
    • Drink my Aminos (kind without preworkout)
    • Get educated about macros
    • Bring my own lunches, dinners and snacks
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Plan ahead and use a scale to weigh ALL your solid food. Stay within the set calorie goals.
  • DylsGrandma
    DylsGrandma Posts: 69 Member
    Journal B)
  • phw426
    phw426 Posts: 92 Member
    An ALBA shake with powdered peanut butter....or with half a frozen banana....I use the crushed ice from the refrigerator to make it and it is like a good milkshake...I do it in the nutribullet but you can use a regular blender to make as well.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!