How to quit Planet Fitness..??

Options

Replies

• tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    MSH2930 wrote: »
    When I first joined PF, the first few months were great. The gym was still brand-new to our area, so it was never busy. That was Sept-Oct-Nov-Dec of last year. Then come January, they got busy. Crazy-busy. The parking lot is usually so filled that I have to wait for someone to leave, and I am just one that is not comfortable with people right next to me on the treadmill hacking all over the place for whatever reason (how am I to know they are or are not sick..?)--which surprisingly happens way more than you think. The locker room is always even busy. I am just not comfortable with a place being that busy (read: anxiety).

And then there is the dress code. I know it seems silly, but I really wish I could wear sandals when I am on the treadmill, or other 'no-no' clothing. I am not in the weight room area, so I do not understand. But that is their rules.

And for the love of God they play the same 10 songs over and over. When I go there almost daily for 2 hours at a time, it is like hearing the same CD over and over 3 or 4X a day!! Blah...(I do not like to wear ear plugs)

Yes I know the bulk of my issues are my own personal issues, but there are what they are.

What do I need to do to quit Planet Fitness..?
    I am sure the manager (whom I kind of get along with well) will want to know why, and I just prefer not to say, so if I (very likely) quit, what is a good thing to say that she will not 'pry' to find out why..?

Thanks so much!! :)

Just don't pay the renewal fees. Why should you have to make excuses to the manager or anyone else?

Ime, though, no gym will let you wear sandals on the treadmill. That's not even safe.

AFAIK the monthly dues are automatically charged to your payment method, until you actually notify them that you want to end your membership. But no excuses are needed; a simpl "I'd like to terminate my membership" will suffice.

• MSH2930
    MSH2930 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone.
    Regarding the deadlifts and all, I guess Planet Fitness is geared toward newbies to fitness.
    I joined mainly to use the cardio. And for the silly 'you are paying ten dollars a month what do you expect' um I am a black card member, so it is 20 dollars a month, not that it should matter. But regardless of price employees should be able to answer questions. Not difficult questions or things not even relating to the gym my goodness, but things about the machines, etc.

In the end as others have said it really does not matter my reasons for wanting to quit.
    I was asking mainly if anyone quit or had any advice or experience with it.

I will just do my exercise tapes at home in my bare feet and use my free weights at home and walk and do cardio tapes. Problem solved and I will be much happier. I do not have someone hacking all over the place or the same annoying 10 songs played over and over. And heck if I want to drink from a gallon water jug I can!! ;)

My question was about quitting, not picking apart my post or attacking my reasons for wanting to.

Guess I gave too much info in the OP.

Oh well.

Those with sensible sound advice and recommendations, THANK YOU!!!
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Just walk up to the counter, ask for whatever form is required for quitting your membership, fill out said form, hand it in and say thank you, enjoy the rest of the day.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Just ask at the desk. You prob won't be forced to talk to the manager. There's nothing "wrong" or nosey with them asking "why"? They probably have a form they have to fill out and check off the reason. That doesn't obligate you to answer. You can say "personal reasons" or "I'd rather not say." They won't take you into the back room and torture you.

Rules about footwear and large heavy water jugs are established for safety reasons. They don't want someone stubbing their toe, or bumping into someone's 16 lb water jug (weight of a gallon), and suing them. I imagine that many gyms have similar type rules. I go to a small privately owned fitness studio. If someone came in wearing sandals, I'm sure they would be asked to put on proper footwear. In another thread, someone posted about falling off the treadmill when they had a momentary distraction and weren't wearing the safety clip. Accidents are real and most businesses do what they can to help avoid them.

A gallon of liquid weighs 8 lbs. 16 fl oz weighs 16 oz. A pint's a pound a world around.

Fun fact.

I'm glad I read the rest of the thread. I was like, :huh:

Oh, but one minor nitpick. 16 fl oz of water weighs 16 oz. Other fluids have different densities, which will make them weigh different amounts (usually more). 16 oz of milk, for example, will weigh 16.6 oz.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    amyepdx wrote: »
    RGv2 wrote: »
    Dnarules wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    1. Grunt loudly as you exercise.
    2. Walk in with a gallon water jug.
    3. Continue to wear forbidden clothing like tank tops.
    4. Pretty much act like a "bro" and your membership will be terminated.

Wait..... They try to forbid what type of water bottle you bring?!? That would be an immediate no, refuse to join.

I assumed it was a play on this Planet Fitness ad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7gzmoqmL7g

Their lunk alarm signs say something about a gallon jug too.

Wow. Just no.

Why would you want to carry around a gallon water jug?

Wait..... They try to forbid what type of water bottle you bring?!? That would be an immediate no, refuse to join.

Wow. Just no.

I have one that I carry at work. It's a good way to regulate how much water I've had for the day, and don't have to get up to get refills if I don't want to.

Either way what PF is doing with that rule is perpetuating the stereotype of only moron bodybuilders (lunks...morons) carry water jugs around.

It's because people can trip over them - Same for the idiots that don't use lockers and carry around their gym bags.

You can trip over a small water bottle as well so this makes no sense.

Like I said, they have cup holders. Every machine has at least one. It does make sense.

Since I mainly go to my gym for the weights, with one exception, nothing I use has cup holders.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options

Wow. Just no.

A few guys do it where I work. I don't really get it. They come in with a full or half-full jug and when they leave, there's not much gone from it. Maybe they're doing the "gallon a day" thing and that's how they like to carry water. I don't really care. It's water. Why anyone would say you can't have a certain amount of water is beyond me. "Because it's weird" isn't a good reason. Members can get an unlimited supply of refrigerated filtered water out of the fountain, so what's a gallon of their own?

I don't drink cold water.
  • donjtomasco
    donjtomasco Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Is Planet Fitness the only facility where you live? If not, why on earth, these days, would you join a place that requires a contract, then complain later that it is exactly what a business is supposed to be, which is very busy? If there is a Gold's Gym in your city, I hate to tell you that they are only $30 a month, no contract, always have been, and if I don't like the gym I will stop paying and am only out $30.

This sounds like buyers remorse like leasing a car then being tired of the monthly payments and saying you don't like to fill it up with gas. Or buying a house with a home owners association then complaining that the you don't like that the home owners association has rules that you don't like.
  • donjtomasco
    donjtomasco Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    And why worry what they think, it's your money, if they let you out of the contract by just saying you want to quit, it's nobody's business as to why. If they press, then tell them their gym sucks, and too bad for them pressing for an answer. If your buyout is $58 (like someone said) then pay the $58 and 6 months from now you will be ahead and won't have spent 6 months bemoaning what they would think if you quit.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    amyepdx wrote: »

Wow. Just no.

Wow. Just no.

I have one that I carry at work. It's a good way to regulate how much water I've had for the day, and don't have to get up to get refills if I don't want to.

Either way what PF is doing with that rule is perpetuating the stereotype of only moron bodybuilders (lunks...morons) carry water jugs around.

It's because people can trip over them - Same for the idiots that don't use lockers and carry around their gym bags.

You can trip over a small water bottle as well so this makes no sense.

Like I said, they have cup holders. Every machine has at least one. It does make sense.

Since I mainly go to my gym for the weights, with one exception, nothing I use has cup holders.

This has been puzzling me too, and then I realized that the cardio equipment has it (and I've even used it plenty of times). Shaking head at myself. ;-)

I still think a rule against overly large containers for water is bizarre and unnecessary and aimed at some stereotype vs. reality.

AND a rule against deadlifting is just bad.

No sandals on the treadmill makes perfect sense to me, though.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    MSH2930 wrote: »
    When I first joined PF, the first few months were great. The gym was still brand-new to our area, so it was never busy. That was Sept-Oct-Nov-Dec of last year. Then come January, they got busy. Crazy-busy. The parking lot is usually so filled that I have to wait for someone to leave, and I am just one that is not comfortable with people right next to me on the treadmill hacking all over the place for whatever reason (how am I to know they are or are not sick..?)--which surprisingly happens way more than you think. The locker room is always even busy. I am just not comfortable with a place being that busy (read: anxiety).

And then there is the dress code. I know it seems silly, but I really wish I could wear sandals when I am on the treadmill, or other 'no-no' clothing. I am not in the weight room area, so I do not understand. But that is their rules.

And for the love of God they play the same 10 songs over and over. When I go there almost daily for 2 hours at a time, it is like hearing the same CD over and over 3 or 4X a day!! Blah...(I do not like to wear ear plugs)

Yes I know the bulk of my issues are my own personal issues, but there are what they are.

What do I need to do to quit Planet Fitness..?
    I am sure the manager (whom I kind of get along with well) will want to know why, and I just prefer not to say, so if I (very likely) quit, what is a good thing to say that she will not 'pry' to find out why..?

Thanks so much!! :)

I am sure the OP is long gone by now, but just wanted to add something incase they came back.

I can't think of any gym that would let you wear sandles on a treadmill-it is dangerous.

If you are looking for a replacement gym, do you have a ymca or ymha nearby? We joined about a month ago and it was only $100 for 3 adults. It can get pretty busy but if you go at specific times, it can be almost empty. We try to stick with off peak hours.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Char231023 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    yusaku02 wrote: »
    pick up a dumbbell from the floor

warning-no-deadlift-gym-rules.jpg

Why do they not allow deadlifts??? I get that it could be a liability issue, but imho it could easily be resolved by having participants sign a waiver and hiring a trainer for the floor specifically there to show newcomers how to use the weights and equipment, assuming they don't have this already...

Because people like me who deadlift are apparently "lunks" and intimidating to their clientele.

How is deadlifting intimidating?!?

Because unfit people think that by doing things like squats or deadlifts that you are making them feel bad that they can't or won't do them. Everybody is so sensitive these days. People take things way to personally, thinking everybody is either making fun of them or trying to intimidate them. When really some people want to lift heavy and stay hydrated.

Just encouraging meodicrity.
  • amoffatt
    amoffatt Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    It should never be a "task" to end a gym membership. If one wants to quit, they should be able to, period!
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    amoffatt wrote: »
    It should never be a "task" to end a gym membership. If one wants to quit, they should be able to, period!

It's not as long as you read the terms and conditions in the contract the member agreed to by signing
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    The gallon jug rule has nothing to do with bottle size or tripping. It has everything to do with them wanting it to be a family friendly gym. Keep out the meatheads, the ones who always drop the biggest weights on the floor. You know the type. Is it a stereotype? Yes. Is it true? Yes, as much as I've ever seen.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I called mine. She explained that I was already paid through the end of the current month and then it would be over. I had been a member for years, though.