No Carbs after 5pm

Options

Replies

• robertpcooke
    robertpcooke Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Carbohydrate releases serotonin (makes you sleepy) rather than avoid it at night avoid it in the morning, protein and good fats for breakfast = more alert mornings carbs in the evening = better sleep.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    betuel75 wrote: »
    i have a method of eating that probably differs from others. I eat a large majority of calories inlcuding carbs late at night and it refuels/replenishes my body/glycogen stores while i sleep. Then the next day i eat light throughout the day and then eat a lot at night again. Works for me as long as i stay within my calorie allowance. Thats all that really matters, how many not when.

This is about what I do as well, so you're not alone. I just prefer eating more at night.
  • CharlotteDiva
    CharlotteDiva Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    In the chrono diet (which I follow with good results) carbohydrates are allowed only at breakfast, up to 09:30 AM - 10:00 AM. The very last meal of the day has to be taken before 08:00 - 09:00 PM and does not include carbs.

There are temporary changes to help one lose weight.

Then there are lifestyle changes to help one lose weight AND keep the weight off. These don't involve arbitrary rules such as when you can and can't eat certain foods. These don't involve eliminating foods you would normally eat. Lifestyle changes help you adapt to a new "normal" after the weight is gone.

My preference is lifestyle changes, not diet. I don't want to go on a "diet" every again.

I totall agree. I used the term "diet", but it's not appropriate (sorry, I am not a native English speaker). I have indeed adopted a new lifestyle, starting my days with a huge breakfast. I don't control the quantities of food, never. The most enjoyable part of the story is that during the rest of the day, I am never hungry. Never thought this could happen to me :blush:
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    No, for me I think it's important to include vegetables with dinner. I also tend to use dinner as a post-workout meal, so like to have some kind of starch (and think I sleep better if I do) and I sometimes enjoy post-dinner ice cream. None of this was a problem when I was losing weight.

I don't avoid carbs at any meals, but the one that tends to be lowest carb most commonly is breakfast, as I like to have a 2-egg vegetable omelet. Sometimes I have dairy or fruit on the side, but often I just have smoked salmon, and then it's lower carb.

As for you, though, whatever helps you keep calories down and meet your goals will work.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,619 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    i have a method of eating that probably differs from others. I eat a large majority of calories inlcuding carbs late at night and it refuels/replenishes my body/glycogen stores while i sleep. Then the next day i eat light throughout the day and then eat a lot at night again. Works for me as long as i stay within my calorie allowance. Thats all that really matters, how many not when.

This is about what I do as well, so you're not alone. I just prefer eating more at night.

Me three.

AND, on about 2200 calories, I eat around 300 grams of carbs.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    So what happens of you eat a carb at 5:01? Does daylight savings time make a difference?

vanwolfgest06ak8.gif
    Dont be a smart *kitten* I was simply asking a question if you dont have a response move on.

Thumbs down. Well, I appreciate your humor!
  • ArmyofAdrian
    ArmyofAdrian Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    If it works it's only because it's a "trick" to get you to eat less calories. No carbs at dinner means (presumably) a smaller dinner, and hopefully less calories throughout the day. But you might just end up eating more before 5 or getting too hungry late and night and raiding the fridge. I tried the no food after 6 pm thing and couldn't stick to it. I'd encourage you to set a calorie limit, log your meals, and not waste any more of your valuable time or effort looking for short cuts.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,594 Member
    Options
    Same.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• bonneboo
    bonneboo Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    So what happens of you eat a carb at 5:01? Does daylight savings time make a difference?

Dont be a smart *kitten*, I was asking a question if you dont have an answer move on

HAHAHAHA!! If you are still hanging in, I worked with two guys who wanted to lose but didnt want to work for it. They stopped eating bad carbs after 3 p.m. and they lost weight. I can understand why though, but for them that was "no work involved".
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    It's 5 o'clock somewhere when I finish eating for the night.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,619 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Same.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Well, now. It seems @betuel75 isn't such a special snowflake after all. :p
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    we have dinner around 9-10 everynight and have for like 6 years. doesnt make a difference... what about people on graveyard shift.. are the doomed?? oh noooo.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried the method of not consuming carbs after 5pm did you find it effective with helping you to lose weight?

No because this is silly broscience nonsense.
  • ktilton70130
    ktilton70130 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Thanks for feedback appreciate it.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

vanwolfgest06ak8.gif

Dont be a smart *kitten* I was simply asking a question if you dont have a response move on.

Welcome to MFP
  • ktilton70130
    ktilton70130 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »

vanwolfgest06ak8.gif

Welcome to MFP

lol, i know right. It goes to show you how many a holes they have in this world.