help me!

Options
Does what time a day you eat play a Factor in weight loss? I mean can anytime be breakfast? I work nights 5x a week 10pm-6am I usually sleep from 7am-noon 1pm sometimes later..... Help me

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Eat when you like, it doesn't affect weight loss
  • amber914137
    amber914137 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    So just what u eat? Jeez I sound like I know nothing! I lost 70lbs before now it seems like I'll be fat forever! Between work and kids I feel like I can never exercise so my first step is 3 weeks of NO POP! And I'll Go from there
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    You just need to be in a calorie deficit
  • mappeal67
    mappeal67 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    As long as you're eating approx 1,500 calories per day you should lose a pound a week - though in my experience it fluctuates! Time of day doesn't make any difference.
    Good luck!
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    mappeal67 wrote: »
    As long as you're eating approx 1,500 calories per day you should lose a pound a week - though in my experience it fluctuates! Time of day doesn't make any difference.
    Good luck!

how can you possibly say that when you don't know the OP's stats or activity level?
  • amber914137
    Options
    I work over nights in a mental rehab center so not much activity there! However I do try to stay pretty active..... I weigh 227lbs tho! I need ideas maybe a preliminary meal plan exercise routine on how to loose that first 5-10 lbs! So I can get my motivation back!!!! Also I am used to drinking 2-3 44oz Pepsi a day! But have recently been drinking more water than normal
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    Time of day and number of meals are irrelevant as long as you maintain a caloric deficit. I usually eat two meals a day. Quite often they are around 2pm and 10pm and I'm down nearly 75 lbs so far. Eat the number of meals and at the times that work for you.
  • amber914137
    Options
    So basically the sodas are what's killing my weight loss?
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

If they make your calories go up to a level where you can't lose, then yes. Otherwise, not so much. Personally I prefer diet soda taste-wise so this has never been a problem.

What you need to do is really simple:
    1. Put your stats in the app to lose 1-1.5 pounds a week (I assume you've already done that)
    2. Follow the calorie recommendation the app gives you by logging everything you eat and drink as accurately as possible (preferably with a food scale).
    3. Stick to it for at 4-6 weeks before deciding that you aren't losing. Weight can fluctuate up and down for various reasons masking your actual weight loss.
    4. If after a month of staying within the calories the app gave you you are still having problems, reassess and try to troubleshoot what might be the issue like inaccurate logging or over-estimating exercise..etc.

What and when you eat does not affect your weight loss, but do try to get in at least some nutritious lower calorie foods and adequate protein so you aren't hungry all the time and to make sure your body is getting adequate nutrients.
  • amber914137
    Options
    Thank you! I think I'm def going to start tracking my food to the best of my knowledge! Do y'all recommed a calore burner of some sort?
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Thank you! I think I'm def going to start tracking my food to the best of my knowledge! Do y'all recommed a calore burner of some sort?

what do you mean by calorie burner?

• amusedmonkey
    Options

They aren't worth it. Most of them don't work, and those that do come with a nasty list of side effects (some are life threatening) just to get a modest extra loss that isn't worth it.
  • amber914137
    Options
    Thank you how about a fitbit then so I'm not guessing on how many calories I've burned..... And anything cheaper than that,??
  • amusedmonkey
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Thank you how about a fitbit then so I'm not guessing on how many calories I've burned..... And anything cheaper than that,??

A fitness tracker is a good idea if you like gadgets and are motivated by such a thing. It's not necessary for weight loss though. The cheapest Fitbit (the zip) is just as good as the most expensive one at tracking steps (if not better since it's not affected by arm movements), especially if you don't need all the bells and whistles of a more advanced tracker. There are other fitness trackers some of which are pretty cheap like the Xiaomi Mi band. If you decide to get one, don't blindly trust the calories burned. Most people here only eat back 50%-75% of the extra calories given by the fitness trackers.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Do y'all recommed a calore burner of some sort?
    Calorie deficit.
    Exercise.
    Staying active.
    That's a lot of calories you're drinking for no real nutritional benefit beyond hydration and energy. You can get hydration from other sources (including diet soda) and you have an excess of energy.....
    Thank you how about a fitbit then so I'm not guessing on how many calories I've burned.....
    Everything is an estimate including a fitbit. If it motivates you to be more active though it's going to help.

Would suggest invest in a food scale and log everything accurately (a least for a period of time), very educational about portion sizes.
  • amber914137
    Options
    Can't I just measure if the food ex... Cup of broccoli 1/4 cup ranch ect..... Go off the serving size since chicken and meats are free of calories if baked boiled or grilled ect.... And do I need to eat back calories. Like If I eat 600 calories between breakfast and lunch then burn 200 do I need to eat like 1000 for dinner lol...... Sorry I know nothing
  • mappeal67
    mappeal67 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    how can you possibly say that when you don't know the OP's stats or activity level?

Weight loss comes from calorie deficit.
    Fitness comes from exercise.
    Average woman requires 2000 calories per day to live. Approximately a 500 calorie deficit leads to a 1lb loss per week.
    Does that help?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Can't I just measure if the food ex... Cup of broccoli 1/4 cup ranch ect..... Go off the serving size since chicken and meats are free of calories if baked boiled or grilled ect.... And do I need to eat back calories. Like If I eat 600 calories between breakfast and lunch then burn 200 do I need to eat like 1000 for dinner lol...... Sorry I know nothing

Cups are a horrendously inaccurate way of measuring.
    chicken and meats are free of calories if baked boiled or grilled ect
    Say what? Hope you mean you aren't adding any extra calories rather than no calories?

This site is designed to give you a calorie goal without exercise, so when you do exercise to keep your designated deficit you should eat them back.
    Some exercises are easy to estimate reliably, some are difficult.

Go to the Getting Started form and read the "sticky threads" at the top of the forum which explain how to use this tool properly.
  • amusedmonkey
    edited May 2016
    Options

Nothing but water is free of calories. Chicken and broccoli have calories. It's best to use a food scale when possible for most food since serving sizes can vary by a lot, but if it's easier for you, you could use cups for green vegetables since the variation in calories is not that big. Definitely use scale for ranch because calorie variations can be big.

As for exercise, yes, you do get to eat more if you exercise (just make sure to set your activity level to sedentary). Like I said above, most people eat only 50%-75% of these extra exercise calories. Per your example, if you exercise 200 calories you get to eat an extra 100-150 calories that day.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

chicken has calories... all food does....