Options

Replies

• PurpleRunningPug
    PurpleRunningPug Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    emdeesea wrote: »
    Did the OP delete her profile??

Looks like it. Odd to type out such a long post and then disappear. Can she still read responses? I have no idea how that works on this site.

Hi. Still here.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    How can one post to the forum - and have an avatar (profile pic) - without a profile?
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    That's odd. Usually it says that only if they "poof." :)
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Is there any way you could convince your husband to eat dinner a little later so you could hit the gym after work? I always work out right after work (my boyfriend actually meets me at the gym but we work out separately) then we go home, make dinner, walk the dog together and have the rest of the evening to ourselves. It means we eat a little bit later but it works for both of us. Perhaps this is an option for you and your husband (except the part where he meets you at the gym, obviously). Another question - are you doing a morning workout and then the gym in the evening? So two-a-days on a regular basis? On 1500 calories? If that's the case that might be overkill a bit. Also, are you sure you're at 1500 calories a day? Or are you assuming that based on the portion sizing on 21 day fix? Since your on MFP why don't you try to weigh and log the food you're eating currently and see where your calories and macros land. If you are already doing that then that's great, you know where you fall.
  • PurpleRunningPug
    Options
    OP made this long post then deactivated. Don't waste energy, as she's not interested in feedback.

For others who may feel like they're in a similar position (exercising a lot and having the perception that you're eating well), you should be aware of the shortcomings of this person's approach. In no particular order, she's:
    • relying on products and services to do a lot of the work for her (calories/macros/portion control etc.)
    • wasting a great deal of money on those products and services, which are unnecessary
    • following temporary fixes and plans, and only "loosely" at that
    • not preparing/weighing/measuring her own food, or at least not as much as she could be
    • overall, eating back too many of the calories she burns off and wasting a lot of effort

No idea what's up w/ the profile thing. Again.. first time posting. Yes, I do prepare and weigh.. and measure.. my own food. And I get made fun of for it. All the time. I've never followed any "fix" "temporarily". I'm not usually one for gimicks at all. I'm just trying to do different things b/c what I've been doing's not working anymore.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Something is not right here. I'm 42, about 5'3.5" and started out at 149 pounds. I now weigh 122. I eat way more than you do and exercise far less. We can't see your diary (or anything for that matter), so it's hard to give specific advice, but it sounds like your logging is way off. Fix the food and you won't have to kill yourself at the gym so much. End result = weight loss and more time for hubby. :)
  • PurpleRunningPug
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Kimo159 wrote: »
    Is there any way you could convince your husband to eat dinner a little later so you could hit the gym after work? I always work out right after work (my boyfriend actually meets me at the gym but we work out separately) then we go home, make dinner, walk the dog together and have the rest of the evening to ourselves. It means we eat a little bit later but it works for both of us. Perhaps this is an option for you and your husband (except the part where he meets you at the gym, obviously). Another question - are you doing a morning workout and then the gym in the evening? So two-a-days on a regular basis? On 1500 calories? If that's the case that might be overkill a bit. Also, are you sure you're at 1500 calories a day? Or are you assuming that based on the portion sizing on 21 day fix? Since your on MFP why don't you try to weigh and log the food you're eating currently and see where your calories and macros land. If you are already doing that then that's great, you know where you fall.

My BMR, which I had measured, puts me at 1250 calories.. I end up ~1500 after exercise. I do track my actual calories, not just assume. Sometimes I'm a little over, most times I'm in range. The cool thing about the 21DF is that you eat the right kinds of cals. As previous posters have said- I know energy in, energy out... but ice cream is not the same as lean chicken nutritionally.. even if the portions have the same calories.

Based on the responses I'm getting, I'll have to pay more attention to my food.. as I've been suspecting/working on... just kinda sucks when you're a health/fitness nut and your support system thinks you're already doing enough. I just needed an outside opinion to push me in the right general direction.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    xmichaelyx wrote: »
    He sees me spending all this money on Beachbody products, and actually said to me "You've been doing this for how long now... where's your Beachbody?" ... I'm always adding new products/workouts, and trying new ways of doing things.. and nothing changes.

Stop using "weight loss" products; stop changing your workouts. You don't need any "products" to lose weight; you just need to eat fewer calories.

What you need is a lifestyle change. Beachbody is not a lifestyle, it's a money-siphoning machine that exists only to steal from you and deliver nothing.

Here's all you need to do:
    1. Figure out how many calories you should be eating, and eat that many with foods that you like enough to do it forever.
    2. Find a workout that you like enough to do consistently forever, and then do it.

Once those 2 things are accomplished, you'll look and feel great and healthy for the rest of your life. Don't try to complicate it.

5n4rhuw1n8wj.jpeg
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

My BMR, which I had measured, puts me at 1250 calories.. I end up ~1500 after exercise. I do track my actual calories, not just assume. Sometimes I'm a little over, most times I'm in range. The cool thing about the 21DF is that you eat the right kinds of cals. As previous posters have said- I know energy in, energy out... but ice cream is not the same as lean chicken nutritionally.. even if the portions have the same calories.

Based on the responses I'm getting, I'll have to pay more attention to my food.. as I've been suspecting/working on... just kinda sucks when you're a health/fitness nut and your support system thinks you're already doing enough. I just needed an outside opinion to push me in the right general direction.

I get why you like the idea of 21DF, macros matter to me too. But I make food that meets my calorie and macro goal, and I have 100% control over what goes into my meals for maximum satiety. Usually this means I can meet my macros, stay within my calorie goals, not feel hungry, AND have a glass of wine or scoop of ice cream in the evening. And not relying on someone else's program educates me. This means I'm much more in control when I'm at a social event - I'm more aware of the calorie/macro content of the food being served, I can make better choices, and if I'm going to eat over my goal, I know by about how much.

You're a fitness person. You've been doing this a long time. You know how it works. I am too, but I spent all of last year spinning my wheels, not losing fat, and not making strength gains because I wasn't willing to tighten up my logging or be consistent with my workouts. Last year, I wanted to snuggle with my husband and watch a movie while drinking wine and munching on popcorn more than I wanted to watch my calories or go for a run. And that's fine. I own that decision. But if losing those 15 lbs are really, really important to you, own up to your shortcomings and do what it takes.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    He sees me spending all this money on Beachbody products, and actually said to me "You've been doing this for how long now... where's your Beachbody?" ... I'm always adding new products/workouts, and trying new ways of doing things.. and nothing changes.

Stop using "weight loss" products; stop changing your workouts. You don't need any "products" to lose weight; you just need to eat fewer calories.

What you need is a lifestyle change. Beachbody is not a lifestyle, it's a money-siphoning machine that exists only to steal from you and deliver nothing.

1. Figure out how many calories you should be eating, and eat that many with foods that you like enough to do it forever.
    2. Find a workout that you like enough to do consistently forever, and then do it.

Once those 2 things are accomplished, you'll look and feel great and healthy for the rest of your life. Don't try to complicate it.

Yeah, that's really it. I've never used any diet product stuff. I just eat food. And I even eat "crap" food, sometimes like for days on end. But I almost always manage to make it fit my calories.

It's the staying within calories is where the magic happens. Anytime I binge and go over, or "cheat" - well, no weight loss for me that week lol.

• MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Ditch the Beachbody programs/shakes, etc and use MFP, a HRM, and a food scale. Use the money you have been spending on the Beachbody stuff and gets some weights you can use at home. You can save so much time by working out at home, therefore still being able to spending time with your husband at night. You can still go to the gym, but if your spending that much time there and not seeing results, then you need to switch things up a bit and use your time more wisely.
    Good luck! :smile:
  • PurpleRunningPug
    edited May 2016
    Options

I never claimed to use anything as a weight loss product. They are supplements, which is different. I do not expect weight loss to occur from using them. I expect them to improve my overall health (read vitamin), work out harder and with more endurance (pre-workout) and help my muscles/tissues repair themselves.)

Again.. using the brand for their high-quality suppliments. Like people who go to GNC.

I've been working out.. with workouts I love (minus running because my knee no longer likes that) the consistancy thing is slipping though. Which is why I'm reaching out for advice.

Yes, agree.. I need to re-examine my nutrition.
  • PurpleRunningPug
    Options

I get why you like the idea of 21DF, macros matter to me too. But I make food that meets my calorie and macro goal, and I have 100% control over what goes into my meals for maximum satiety. Usually this means I can meet my macros, stay within my calorie goals, not feel hungry, AND have a glass of wine or scoop of ice cream in the evening. And not relying on someone else's program educates me. This means I'm much more in control when I'm at a social event - I'm more aware of the calorie/macro content of the food being served, I can make better choices, and if I'm going to eat over my goal, I know by about how much.

You're a fitness person. You've been doing this a long time. You know how it works. I am too, but I spent all of last year spinning my wheels, not losing fat, and not making strength gains because I wasn't willing to tighten up my logging or be consistent with my workouts. Last year, I wanted to snuggle with my husband and watch a movie while drinking wine and munching on popcorn more than I wanted to watch my calories or go for a run. And that's fine. I own that decision. But if losing those 15 lbs are really, really important to you, own up to your shortcomings and do what it takes.

Good advice, Thanks :)
  • PurpleRunningPug
    Options
    MamaFunky wrote: »
    Ditch the Beachbody programs/shakes, etc and use MFP, a HRM, and a food scale. Use the money you have been spending on the Beachbody stuff and gets some weights you can use at home. You can save so much time by working out at home, therefore still being able to spending time with your husband at night. You can still go to the gym, but if your spending that much time there and not seeing results, then you need to switch things up a bit and use your time more wisely.
    Good luck! :smile:

I do have some weights (I have a changeable set that goes up to 25 lbs) and I did think of quitting my gym membership and relying on at-home workouts.. but that would be a big leap.. and not sure I'm ready to let go lol I'll consider that an option though, thanks!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    My opinion is you should stop spending time and money on the products and programs and just eat normal food in the appropriate calories for your current activity level. Don't count on increasing exercise to lose your weight if you aren't doing it consistantly. If you can only workout once a day then alternate activities at that time. You could try getting some weights for home or do body weight exercises. There are lots of free workouts on you tube to add some variety.
    If you are not losing at 1500 calories you likely need to check your accuracy and/or lower your calories.
    I'm 5'4", sedentary lifestyle and 154 lbs and my goal is 1200 calories without exercise. I have to be more accurate with my logging at this point to lose weight.

• JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options

I never claimed to use anything as a weight loss product. They are supplements, which is different. I do not expect weight loss to occur from using them. I expect them to improve my overall health (read vitamin), work out harder and with more endurance (pre-workout) and help my muscles/tissues repair themselves.)

Again.. using the brand for their high-quality suppliments. Like people who go to GNC.

I've been working out.. with workouts I love (minus running because my knee no linger likes that) the consistancy thing is slipping though. Which is why I'm reaching out for advice.

Yes, agree.. I need to re-examine my nutrition.

In the grand scheme of things, those supplements account for about .1% of your results. 99.9% will be calorie deficit. It just makes more sense to concentrate your efforts on the things that give you the most results. Then, if you have the time/energy/or money, work on those little details.

Putting that much time and energy into workouts, and especially supplements when you don't have your calories under control is like worrying about what color drapes you want for the bedroom when your roof is caving in.

Find a way of eating that YOU can be consistent with, and find a way of moving that YOU can be consistent with. If you can't do it consistently, it won't work. If you can't stick with 21 Day Fix and Beachbody products and workouts that find something you can stick with. There's no magical weight loss properties in any of those things.
  • canadianvampyregurl
    canadianvampyregurl Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    OP made this long post then deactivated. Don't waste energy, as she's not interested in feedback.

For others who may feel like they're in a similar position (exercising a lot and having the perception that you're eating well), you should be aware of the shortcomings of this person's approach. In no particular order, she's:
    • relying on products and services to do a lot of the work for her (calories/macros/portion control etc.)
    • wasting a great deal of money on those products and services, which are unnecessary
    • following temporary fixes and plans, and only "loosely" at that
    • not preparing/weighing/measuring her own food, or at least not as much as she could be
    • overall, eating back too many of the calories she burns off and wasting a lot of effort

No idea what's up w/ the profile thing. Again.. first time posting. Yes, I do prepare and weigh.. and measure.. my own food. And I get made fun of for it. All the time. I've never followed any "fix" "temporarily". I'm not usually one for gimicks at all. I'm just trying to do different things b/c what I've been doing's not working anymore.

You are getting made fun of for trying to take care of yourself???? That is by far the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard !!! My husband would never do that to me. He encourages every step of my health journey. When he sees me measuring my peanut butter or weighing my steak, he puts his arms around me, kisses me and tells me how proud of me he is.

I'm sorry but that really makes me mad that someone would make fun of you for trying to better yourself.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    emdeesea wrote: »
    Did the OP delete her profile??

Looks like it. Odd to type out such a long post and then disappear. Can she still read responses? I have no idea how that works on this site.

Hi. Still here.

Good! I didn't mean anything bad by that but your page DOES say "user not found" which is very odd since you are still posting, but I'm glad you didn't leave!