Does metabolism get used to eating same food over n over?

As stupid as it sounds reading this but is there a remote possibility that it could be true?

So in 3 weeks I've lost no weight -I posted the thread and get good responses but none of them apply. However, I'm just wondering is there a scenario in which body gets used to eating the same food?

I mean I'm maintaining a deficit but for quiet a while my breakfast and dinner have been identical -no change whatsoever. Dinner changes on Sat/Sun but I still maintain a deficit. I've never been out of deficit since Jan 9, 2016. Not even my cheat meals went over my caloric allowance. I think once or twice I did eat at maintenance but that's about it.

SO it's not possible that weight loss came to halt because I eat same breakfast 7 days a week and dinner 5 days a week?
Lunch changes almost everyday and yes I have been adjusting calories with my weight loss.

Replies

• ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    No.

Your weight is stable because you're eating at maintenance, not a deficit. How do you measure your food? If you're not already, get a food scale, and weigh everything.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    No, it's not possible. You're eating more calories than you realize and not in a deficit. Something is off in your measurements somewhere. Do you use a scale to weigh food? If not, that would be the best place to start in finding the discrepancy.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,454 Member
    The calories in the food won't change, but your body's metabolic rate can adjust. When you get used to doing something, the body adjusts by alotting the amount of calories to complete energy usage. Also known as homeostasis. So it's almost like eating at maintenance. So up your intensity of your exercise or physical activity instead.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • aub6689
    aub6689 Posts: 351 Member
    ^what he said. body becomes more efficient and bmr goes down.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    While I agree with the above, it's within the context of activity you perform. I highly doubt the body gets more efficient at digesting a potato the more you eat them, which is how I read the OP question.
  • viren19890
    viren19890 Posts: 778 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    The calories in the food won't change, but your body's metabolic rate can adjust. When you get used to doing something, the body adjusts by alotting the amount of calories to complete energy usage. Also known as homeostasis. So it's almost like eating at maintenance. So up your intensity of your exercise or physical activity instead.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
    aub6689 wrote: »
    ^what he said. body becomes more efficient and bmr goes down.

If I am interpreting correctly -you guys mean that it's possible that same food can cause body to not burn same amount of calories it used to ?

For example - 7 days my breakfast is same - my wrap -with varying ingredients -quantity changes but mostly similar items in the wrap.

Lunch changes everyday

Dinner is same 700-800 calories shake. I am usually at work so it's much easier to consume and it keeps me full until next morning.

So I need to change my diet for a week or so?
  • viren19890
    ASKyle wrote: »
    No.

Your weight is stable because you're eating at maintenance, not a deficit. How do you measure your food? If you're not already, get a food scale, and weigh everything.
    No, it's not possible. You're eating more calories than you realize and not in a deficit. Something is off in your measurements somewhere. Do you use a scale to weigh food? If not, that would be the best place to start in finding the discrepancy.

I've been losing weight consistently since Jan 9 at a rate of 1.5 lbs week average. Last 12 lbs left to drop.

So my scale and everything else is on point. Lol and food is also same that's why if I were off I wouldn't have lost weight from a long time right? but it's just last three weeks.
  • aub6689
    Sorry, no I don't think it is eating the same foods.

1) 3 week stall is nothing if you are down to your last 10-15 lbs. Weight loss isn't linear, you could weigh in no less for three weeks and then have a bigger loss the next week. Also small losses can be masked by natural fluctuations.

2) If you've been eating at a deficit since January--have you been adjusting your calorie intake as you've lost weight or eating the same calories? Your BMR goes down as you get lighter, but what I meant above is your body can lower it's metabolic rate to become more efficient on operating on less calories.

• viren19890
    aub6689 wrote: »
    Sorry, no I don't think it is eating the same foods.

1) 3 week stall is nothing if you are down to your last 10-15 lbs. Weight loss isn't linear, you could weigh in no less for three weeks and then have a bigger loss the next week. Also small losses can be masked by natural fluctuations.

2) If you've been eating at a deficit since January--have you been adjusting your calorie intake as you've lost weight or eating the same calories? Your BMR goes down as you get lighter, but what I meant above is your body can lower it's metabolic rate to become more efficient on operating on less calories.

I have been adjusting my calories every 5 lb drop.

So same food has no influence. Yeah?

• aub6689
    Right same food has no influence. I know many bodybuilders who cut with the exact same foods Just in varying quantities.
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    You're closing in on goal. If you don't have a food scale, get one, because your wiggle room is less the closer you get. Also, that close, your weight loss will definitely not be 1-1.5 lbs a week, more like .5lbs.
  • viren19890
    You're closing in on goal. If you don't have a food scale, get one, because your wiggle room is less the closer you get. Also, that close, your weight loss will definitely not be 1-1.5 lbs a week, more like .5lbs.

based on that I did lose 0.3lbs last week but I shrugged it off due to the fact that it's extremely little and could simply be water weight
  • jcverhalen
    jcverhalen Posts: 11 Member
    viren19890 wrote: »

SO it's not possible that weight loss came to halt because I eat same breakfast 7 days a week and dinner 5 days a week?
    Lunch changes almost everyday and yes I have been adjusting calories with my weight loss.

From personal experience, no. My sample size is a lot smaller than yours (8 weeks or so) but I've eaten, with 3 exceptions, the exact same things every day and haven't had an issue.
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member

For example - 7 days my breakfast is same - my wrap -with varying ingredients -quantity changes but mostly similar items in the wrap.

Lunch changes everyday

Dinner is same 700-800 calories shake. I am usually at work so it's much easier to consume and it keeps me full until next morning.

How is that eating the same thing every day???
    The only thing that is the same is the shake.

I think your issue is measuring calories in - do you have a food scale?
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    From a weight loss perspective, eating the same food every day is no better or worse than a varied diet.

My concern about a very repetitive diet would be if you're meeting all your nutritional needs.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member

based on that I did lose 0.3lbs last week but I shrugged it off due to the fact that it's extremely little and could simply be water weight

Don't shrug off any losses when you are eating a deficit. So you are indeed lossing just a bit slower this week..

So here a tips for the future:

Get the food scale.

And if you change up the items in bfast wrap and consume different lunches every day these are not the same calories 7 days a week. Need to weigh out the stuff you eat for breakfast and make sure you do the same for lunch.

The closer you get to goal, more challenging without the food scale.
  • viren19890
    Guys I weigh everything before eating. Sometimes when I don't have a label on items -I don't even item them lol otherwise everything is measured.

My gym intensity also goes up automatically every week because the way my workout is set up. On the very least the number of reps go up if the weight doesn't.

• viren19890
    I've dramatically increased my water intake because I just feel a lot more thirsty these days. I bought a small mud/clay I think pot and it cools water down and gives it a very unique taste due to which I've started drinking a lot more water lol but that can't be it.
  • voldemortisreal
    voldemortisreal Posts: 101 Member
    Random thought, could be wrong, if you're more thirsty ...ANNNND have noticed an increased need to pee (along with the other markers), maybe check with your doctor and get tested for diabetes or other possible culprits.

Could be nothing; like you mentioned you still are losing...just smaller increments...but better safe than sorry.