what diets work best for you

Over the past year and a half I have been over multiple diets such as Keto, IIFYM,clean eating etc. What do you think works best ??

Replies

• mom22dogs
    mom22dogs Posts: 470 Member
    What works best is the one you stick with. For me it is just cutting back calories/portion sizes.
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    A calorie deficit!

This is all you need!
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    What everyone else has said. I don't call it a diet either.
  • aliciapastorlecha
    aliciapastorlecha Posts: 169 Member
    If your goal is to loose weight, you definitely need to be at a calorie deficit. The diet, I prefer to call it a lifestyle, I follow is 'If It Fits Your Macros" or IIFYM. Why?, because I can sustain this "diet" for a log time. I can fit my favorite foods in my macros so I don't go crazy because I can not eat them.
    If you are told you can not eat some food, that will make you crave it more and make you more prone to binge.
    Have you watched Layne Norton's videologs?, they are very good. Your question made me think about it.
    Feel free to add me as a friend if you like :)
  • rakowskidp
    rakowskidp Posts: 231 Member
    What works best for me? Eating at a deficit to lose weight, and eating vegetarian to keep my gut happy.
  • ericatoday
    ericatoday Posts: 454 Member
    Eating healthy. Whole grains, fresh fruit and veggies and eat junk in a minimum. Less processed food. I tell people im not on a diet i just make better food choices. But that doesnt mean i dont ever go out and get a huge burger and fries but i dont let that screw up my entire day.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    the eat everything i want in moderation diet.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,999 Member
    Over the past year and a half I have been over multiple diets such as Keto, IIFYM,clean eating etc. What do you think works best ??

The best diet is the one you can stick to. Only you know which one that is...
  • ddavenport63
    ddavenport63 Posts: 74 Member
    i agree with janesnowe . thats what i do too .
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,522 Member
    CI<CO
  • brepd369
    brepd369 Posts: 6 Member
    Agree with all the above. Make sure you get enough protein and fiber to feel full as well as plenty of fruit, veggies, and water. I try to plan out my days to meet my protein and fiber goals, at least 3 servings of fruit and 3 of veggies (preferably more) and drink lots of water throughout the day. Then I can use whatever calories are leftover to satisfy any cravings I get with small portioned servings.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Track food, eat reasonably below total daily needs, move more diet.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member

Keto - that would be hell on earth for me. Would exclude a lot of the food I enjoy and hamper my cycling.

IIFYM - (the philosophy but definitely not the website) works for me but my macros and food choices are probably different to yours.

Clean eating - seems to mean something different to everyone, some definitions and exclusions are comically dumb!

For works best for me is eating foods I like, mostly high quality, varied, balanced nutritionally over time if not on the day, in the correct quantities with enough flexibility to fit in treats and eating sometimes just for pure pleasure.
  • kelseymallen
    kelseymallen Posts: 85 Member
    Strictly speaking, a caloric deficit is the most effective "diet". However, I do find that if my macros are off, I don't feel very good. If I don't get enough carbs or fats, I get pretty hangry. Likewise, if I don't get enough protein, I know I could lose muscle instead of fat. What seems to work best for me is about 45% carbs, 25% fats, and 30% protein. I'm not crazy strict about it, but I do always try to keep it within this ballpark.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited May 2016
    I have a few principles for my diet (the food I eat and the way I eat), but I don't follow any particular diet or "WOE".
    • I eat anything I want, but not everything at once, and not all the time.
    • Food should taste good, but not too good. No foods are off limit, but I mostly eat food I can eat to satiety. I don't bring any "foods without brakes" into my house.
    • I only eat foods I like, but what I like, has changed a bit.
    • I aim to get in a variety of foods from all food groups every day. I eat four portions of vegetables and three portions of fruit, and some nuts, every day.
    • I plan my meals. I eat four meals per day, and normally eat only at meals. All meals have at least protein, fat (preferably a naturally fatty protein source) and vegetables.

I'm in maintenance, so I just plan and log in the same spreadsheet, and weigh what I can't count.
  • jandsstevenson887
    jandsstevenson887 Posts: 296 Member
    I've lost 22lbs using MFP and just having a daily calorie deficit since January. I eat whatever I want if it fits in my daily allowance of calories. I have ice cream a couple of times a week, pizza, whatever. It is finally something I can stick with.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    For me, eating a sensible, balanced, healthful diet within my calorie goals. I don't believe in special named diets for me and would go nuts if I tried to eat according to someone else's plan. I like to plan my own meals and choose my own food.
  • nikkxjohnson
    nikkxjohnson Posts: 70 Member
    Everyone is different. I personally have a hard time controlling cravings and would binge after trying to restrict my calories. What worked for me was switching to a plant based diet. All of the foods I would binge contained animal products and I couldn't have them. And vegan junk food is expensive! Now I try to eat around 1800 calories on a whole food, plant based diet.
  • AlphaCajun
    AlphaCajun Posts: 290 Member
    The "eat what I want as long as it fits in my slight deficit" diet. :)
  • Dannigreen31
    Dannigreen31 Posts: 557 Member
    Just not eating junk food. Keep it clean and gym regular.
    Not a diet, think of it as lifestyle change and treat yourself now and then
  • tracidee366
    tracidee366 Posts: 10 Member
    I'm doing keto for the health benefits, but I'm keeping a calorie deficit to lose weight.
  • helen_demun
    helen_demun Posts: 33 Member
    For me, it's been tracking my calories with a food log because that's when I realized how many calories I was actually consuming (way too many!). So good old fashioned cutting calories. But I'm a huge food lover.. HUGE!! And I am not a fan of working out. So I eat a TON of protein-high foods to keep me full, and make them foods I like. My favorite diet foods ever are low in calories and high in protein. I also try and keep carbs and sugar as low as i can, but I mostly watch calories and fat.
  • aub6689
    aub6689 Posts: 351 Member
    High protein. For ME I usually end up in a deficit or at maintenance if I simply hit my protein goal. Protein keeps me full longer and also helps with lifting recovery. If I have a low protein day, I likely eat a lot more calories.
  • foxygirl14
    foxygirl14 Posts: 158 Member
    Eat food.
    Not too much.
    Mostly plants.

-Michael Pollan
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    consistently hitting my calorie targets. personally, I eat a pretty well rounded, balanced diet consisting largely of whole foods and minimally processed foods. Lots of veg, a couple servings of fruit, whole grains, legumes, whole food starches, lean proteins, and healthy fats...and some pizza now and then.
  • moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member

I don't prescribe to the idea that a specific diet is "the best". There are many ways to reach a caloric deficit to include not changing your diet at all. Whatever you choose, make sure it is something sustainable and that you enjoy it. Another general principle that goes with any diet choice is to plan your meals as this will help with adherence. Tracking is important for most diets as well.