Tuna without mayo

2»

Replies

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    This thread is full of dry tunas
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Excellent suggestion! Not enough people know about this one. To add a bit of zing, I like to add a tablespoon or two of salsa. And for me, because avocado is hard on my stomach, I use less avocado and add some plain Greek yogurt.

I generally use Dave's Spicy Relish instead of regular pickle relish in my tuna, gives it a sweet kick and a spicy zing. I may have to try the Greek Yogurt, hadn't thought of that.

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Open can.
    (mostly) Drain tuna.
    Eat tuna.

Yeah, I guess I'm a little weird that way, but that's how I like my tuna.
  • WindSparrow
    WindSparrow Posts: 224 Member

I generally use Dave's Spicy Relish instead of regular pickle relish in my tuna, gives it a sweet kick and a spicy zing. I may have to try the Greek Yogurt, hadn't thought of that.

Oooh! I will have to look for the spicy relish...
  • canadianvampyregurl
    canadianvampyregurl Posts: 231 Member
    All of these tips sounds so yummy. I'm always so leery about using plain greek yogurt in place of mayo cuz it's so, well, plain but I'm sure I can jazz it up.
  • klmcneil1
    klmcneil1 Posts: 26 Member
    I use a combination of (full-fat) Greek yogurt and olive oil as a mayonnaise substitute in anything like that. It makes it pretty much the same consistency and taste as using mayonnaise, but is a lot healthier. Of course, if you're looking to cut fat or calories, this isn't going to be your solution. But if you're looking to replace bad fats with good fats and add some good nutrition, this is a great way to go.

(I also add chopped kosher dill pickles, minced red onions, and salt and pepper to my tuna salad. De-LISH!)
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    I use vegan mayo and avocado. Then add a little spicy mustard. If I want pickles in it, I skip the avo and just use vegan mayo and mustard.

Greek yogurt also works. I used that until I discovered vegan mayo. Life changing stuff, I tell ya!
  • MelodieKindree
    MelodieKindree Posts: 8 Member
    Half a can of tuna and mash half an avacado. That's it! So yummy. And I put it on wonder thin sliced white bread. Super low cal and so good
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    I use vegan mayo and avocado. Then add a little spicy mustard. If I want pickles in it, I skip the avo and just use vegan mayo and mustard.

Greek yogurt also works. I used that until I discovered vegan mayo. Life changing stuff, I tell ya!

Agreed.. I almost forgot, when I remember to do it I also add a little Dijon mustard or whatever spicy mustard I have. Avocado by itself is a little bland so when I mash it up I generally add a tiny bit of salt and some black pepper and the Dijon mustard;.
  • VitaSh
    VitaSh Posts: 113 Member
    Great ideas! I love putting cottage cheese in my tuna (hope that's not too weird lol) sodium bomb but whatever
    Also love mustard or yogurt
  • pikselinka
    pikselinka Posts: 154 Member
    Why not use mayo? I buy Hellmann's Lighter than Light Mayonnaise, teaspoon 11 cals.
  • AlphaHowls
    AlphaHowls Posts: 1,902 Member
    edited May 2016
    @TR0berts wrote: »
    Open can.
    (mostly) Drain tuna.
    Eat tuna.

Yeah, I guess I'm a little weird that way, but that's how I like my tuna.
    Almost same, except use pouch and I don't have to drain. Just open and eat.
  • pie_eyes
    pie_eyes Posts: 12,965 Member
    My recipe is

2 cans of tuna (or chicken)
    2-3 avocados
    1 lemon juiced
    Pepper
    1/2 tbsp of dill weed

It's very tasty
  • tonkacrew3
    tonkacrew3 Posts: 51 Member
    I make mine by draining, breaking it down into chunks and then mixing in fresh diced tomatoes,
    fresh cut chives (or green onion), and whatever fresh cut veggies sound good.
  • tmperry99
    tmperry99 Posts: 6 Member
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    I also mix mine with laughing cow cheese. I use the garlic herb flavored wedges and sometimes the spicy pepper jack. I'll have to start adding cucumbers too. That sounds really good.

I can't ever get those Laughing Cow wedges to smush up properly in the tuna. What's your secret?

I typically use a fork and smoosh down on the wedge and then mix, I also found keeping a little of the tuna juice in helps.
  • anlymc13
    anlymc13 Posts: 114 Member
    I really like my tuna mixed with avocado or cottage cheese and salsa.