Options

Replies

• km8907
    km8907 Posts: 3,861 Member
    Options
    km8907 wrote: »
    Despite misinformation, good choice to give up sodas. One fact about phosphoric acid in dark sodas that I always found interesting is that it's literally dangerous for dialysis patients to drink. Healthy kidneys can process additional phosphorus, but once you have kidney failure, it can't get rid of it, causing phosphorus to build up in the blood, which will cause hyperphosphatemia. Then again, many foods have phosphorus in it and your body actually needs it, but not as much as a processed diet will give you.

This is useful information for people with bad kidneys. My kidneys are fine.

I think it's useful information for anyone. Everyone is healthy until they are not.

Avoiding peanuts isn't just good advice for people with a peanut allergy, because everyone is healthy until they're not.

Don't compare apples to oranges. If you paid attention to my original post, I'm not bashing phosphorus, just that there's too much of it in processed food, leading to possible future kidney issues.

Phosphorus doesn't cause kidney diseases, but people with kidney disease need to pay attention to their phosphorus intake.
    Peanuts don't cause peanut allergies, but people with an allergy need to pay attention to their intake.

Too much phosphorous can be toxic, not just to people with kidney disease.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Despite misinformation, good choice to give up sodas. One fact about phosphoric acid in dark sodas that I always found interesting is that it's literally dangerous for dialysis patients to drink. Healthy kidneys can process additional phosphorus, but once you have kidney failure, it can't get rid of it, causing phosphorus to build up in the blood, which will cause hyperphosphatemia. Then again, many foods have phosphorus in it and your body actually needs it, but not as much as a processed diet will give you.

I think it's useful information for anyone. Everyone is healthy until they are not.

Avoiding peanuts isn't just good advice for people with a peanut allergy, because everyone is healthy until they're not.

Don't compare apples to oranges. If you paid attention to my original post, I'm not bashing phosphorus, just that there's too much of it in processed food, leading to possible future kidney issues.

Phosphorus doesn't cause kidney diseases, but people with kidney disease need to pay attention to their phosphorus intake.
    Peanuts don't cause peanut allergies, but people with an allergy need to pay attention to their intake.

So can too much water.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

So can too much water.

or oxygen.

edit- anything and everything in excess can kill you. the end.
  • km8907
    Options

So can too much water.

I never said it didn't, but you need water to live. You don't need soda.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

So can too much water.

Arsenic then?

Have you started a campaign against people eating apples because they may ingest one of the seeds?

Everything can sound scary when you talk about taking in too much. Doesn't mean you can't have any at all. You can consume moderate amounts of soda and be perfectly fine.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    OP, great job on stepping up to the challenge.
    I usually only drink soda on rare occasions (such as parties).
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

So can too much water.

You need phosphorus to live too.
  • wonko221
    wonko221 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    But based off the information I read..I'm guessing we would throw up without the acid in it due to the high sugar content

It's good that you're being mindful of what you consume.

but don't be suckered in by *kitten*.

This is patently false. Quit drinking soda because you want to save the calories for another thing, perhaps. but not for silly nonsense.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

So can too much water.

Are you saying you have eliminated everything that may be harmful in excess if you don't require it in order to survive?
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    fc02ebdf4078c07491cb4ca1b1e7224b.jpg
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    belfle wrote: »
    I wish you could share that post so I could convince my 23 y.o. daughter to stop drinking it. even if it's without backing, any motivation to stop is a good thing. she only lives off soda, barely any food. then she thinks if she switches to energy drinks, its more nutritious, I cringe every time I see a can in her hand. young and thin now but it can get you later. maybe if I tell her the acne will go away she'll be convinced.

I would think you would be more concerned that she's barely eating any food than that she's at least getting some calories from soda. If you want to send her to a website, perhaps a legitimate one that offers real information on nutritional needs that aren't met by soda (protein, fat, vitamins, mineral, fiber), rather than a pseudo-science scare site about soda.
  • km8907
    Options

So can too much water.

Are you saying you have eliminated everything that may be harmful in excess if you don't require it in order to survive?

I give up. If people don't bother to read my original post or misunderstand what I was saying, that's your own problem. I stated it was a fact I found to be interesting. Nothing more. I don't know why so many people are defending soda.
  • km8907
    Options

So can too much water.

Yep. I stated that in my original post. Thanks for playing.
  • km8907
    Options

So can too much water.

Arsenic then?

Have you started a campaign against people eating apples because they may ingest one of the seeds?

Everything can sound scary when you talk about taking in too much. Doesn't mean you can't have any at all. You can consume moderate amounts of soda and be perfectly fine.

I never said you couldn't.
  • km8907
    Options

So can too much water.

I give up. If people don't bother to read my original post or misunderstand what I was saying, that's your own problem. I stated it was a fact I found to be interesting. Nothing more. I don't know why so many people are defending soda.

I'm not defending soda (it's irrelevant to me whether or not people want to drink it) as much as challenging what looks like misinformation. There are lots of things that people with specific illnesses or conditions should avoid. It doesn't logically follow that everyone else must avoid them. And there are lots of things that are harmful in excess that aren't necessary for us to consume. But most of us adopt the practice of understanding the level of consumption where harm can take place and keeping our consumption below that instead of totally eliminating it from our diet.

Looking at the harm caused by *too much* of something isn't a helpful way to determine whether we should eliminate something from our diets.

Isn't the purpose of this website to keep in check what we all have too much of? I don't see anything wrong with a soda every now and then, hell I just had a mountain dew this morning, but I don't see anything wrong with someone believing it's not the best thing for their bodies, and therefore choosing not to drink it and asking for support.
  • stevencloser
    Options

So can too much water.

I'd like to keep playing "What even is the point you're trying to make".
    Because milk has 6 times more phosphorus in it than coke. In fact, milk and cheese have more phosphorus in it than most of the processed foods listed here.

https://www.kidney.org/atoz/content/phosphorus

Also, the RDI for phosphorus is 1000 mg, equivalent to 218 oz of coke.

https://www.unc.edu/~rowlett/units/scales/dailyvalues.htm

So...
  • km8907
    Options

So can too much water.

Because milk has 6 times more phosphorus in it than coke. In fact, milk and cheese have more phosphorus in it than most of the processed foods listed here.

So...

Go back and read my original post. Thanks.
  • stevencloser
    Options

So can too much water.

So...

Go back and read my original post. Thanks.

Yeah, you said there's too much in processed foods.
    There ain't, which I just showed. The only thing in the list of high phosphorus foods on the kidney.org site that had more phosphorus than a glass of milk or a bit of cheese was a whole fast food sausage and egg breakfast.
    You'd need 200 oz of coke just to reach the RDI.
    The ADI is 4000 for adults, so 800 oz of coke EVERY DAY would be a dangerous amount of phosphorus to a healthy person.

https://www.nrv.gov.au/nutrients/phosphorus