Nutricious diet

2

Replies

  • tonkacrew3
    tonkacrew3 Posts: 51 Member
    You are very welcome. Oh...eating this way has also helped me get healthy! I can run and walk where I couldn't before.
  • Chelleh616
    Chelleh616 Posts: 15 Member
    tonkacrew3 wrote: »
    You are very welcome. Oh...eating this way has also helped me get healthy! I can run and walk where I couldn't before.

    That's always a bonus! :)
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,484 Member
    edited May 2016
    jdb3388 wrote: »
    you can lose 12 lbs in a week if you just cut out sodas, dairy, and sweets. Go to a Meat/Vegetable/fruit only diet. In a week to a week and a half you'll have lost 12lbs or more. Problem is, in 3-4 weeks you'll be right back to where you were.

    If you want to lose weight effectively and keep it off, its a process, a very tedious one. Don't worry about what you eat, just worry about how many calories you eat. It's a simple math problem, and if you look at it as such, you will be successful.

    NO!!! OP you don't need to cut out anything.

    OP eat at a reasonable deficit, keep with your walking/jogging and boom you will lose weight. Also get a food scale weigh your food that way your more accurate with logging.

    Good luck.
  • Chelleh616
    Chelleh616 Posts: 15 Member
    Serah87 wrote: »
    jdb3388 wrote: »
    you can lose 12 lbs in a week if you just cut out sodas, dairy, and sweets. Go to a Meat/Vegetable/fruit only diet. In a week to a week and a half you'll have lost 12lbs or more. Problem is, in 3-4 weeks you'll be right back to where you were.

    If you want to lose weight effectively and keep it off, its a process, a very tedious one. Don't worry about what you eat, just worry about how many calories you eat. It's a simple math problem, and if you look at it as such, you will be successful.

    NO!!! OP you don't need to cut out anything.

    OP eat at a reasonable deficit, keep with your walking/jogging and boom you will weight. Also get a food scale weigh your food that way your more accurate with logging.

    Good luck.

    Got the scales, my problems is, a) I go shopping whilst hungry (like now)
    B) I see sugary goodness everywhere
    C) I don't know what to have for tea... ever :(

    Currently on the couch to 9k NHS programme (ahem to those who have said I can't.. if I can do that I sure as hell can pass a 3-4 minute bleep test :neutral: )

    Lol I need someone to plan my meals every day haha need to hire someone to slap me every time I try eat junk food. Doesn't help mcds is on the way home from a loooong 12 hour night shift!
    I'm just glad I don't like mcds breakfast cause I'm currently on night shifts haha
  • RobD520
    RobD520 Posts: 420 Member
    edited May 2016
    Chelleh616 wrote: »
    Serah87 wrote: »
    jdb3388 wrote: »
    you can lose 12 lbs in a week if you just cut out sodas, dairy, and sweets. Go to a Meat/Vegetable/fruit only diet. In a week to a week and a half you'll have lost 12lbs or more. Problem is, in 3-4 weeks you'll be right back to where you were.

    If you want to lose weight effectively and keep it off, its a process, a very tedious one. Don't worry about what you eat, just worry about how many calories you eat. It's a simple math problem, and if you look at it as such, you will be successful.

    NO!!! OP you don't need to cut out anything.

    OP eat at a reasonable deficit, keep with your walking/jogging and boom you will weight. Also get a food scale weigh your food that way your more accurate with logging.

    Good luck.

    Got the scales, my problems is, a) I go shopping whilst hungry (like now)
    B) I see sugary goodness everywhere
    C) I don't know what to have for tea... ever :(

    Currently on the couch to 9k NHS programme (ahem to those who have said I can't.. if I can do that I sure as hell can pass a 3-4 minute bleep test :neutral: )

    Lol I need someone to plan my meals every day haha need to hire someone to slap me every time I try eat junk food. Doesn't help mcds is on the way home from a loooong 12 hour night shift!
    I'm just glad I don't like mcds breakfast cause I'm currently on night shifts haha

    I don't eat McDonald's; but its potential impact on my weight has nothing to do with that decision.

    You may be over-complicating things by worrying too much about "types" of food. The key is to create a calorie deficit. People have done that even while consuming McDonald's and moderate portions of "sugary goodness."

    Obviously a balanced diet is best as far as long-term health is concerned; and many people could benefit from eating more whole foods, vegetables, and lean proteins. But from the standpoint of your weight-loss goal, it's all about the calorie deficit.

    People who are cautioning that 3lbs/week is unrealistic are telling you the truth.
  • Chelleh616
    Chelleh616 Posts: 15 Member
    RobD520 wrote: »
    Chelleh616 wrote: »
    Serah87 wrote: »
    jdb3388 wrote: »
    you can lose 12 lbs in a week if you just cut out sodas, dairy, and sweets. Go to a Meat/Vegetable/fruit only diet. In a week to a week and a half you'll have lost 12lbs or more. Problem is, in 3-4 weeks you'll be right back to where you were.

    If you want to lose weight effectively and keep it off, its a process, a very tedious one. Don't worry about what you eat, just worry about how many calories you eat. It's a simple math problem, and if you look at it as such, you will be successful.

    NO!!! OP you don't need to cut out anything.

    OP eat at a reasonable deficit, keep with your walking/jogging and boom you will weight. Also get a food scale weigh your food that way your more accurate with logging.

    Good luck.

    Got the scales, my problems is, a) I go shopping whilst hungry (like now)
    B) I see sugary goodness everywhere
    C) I don't know what to have for tea... ever :(

    Currently on the couch to 9k NHS programme (ahem to those who have said I can't.. if I can do that I sure as hell can pass a 3-4 minute bleep test :neutral: )

    Lol I need someone to plan my meals every day haha need to hire someone to slap me every time I try eat junk food. Doesn't help mcds is on the way home from a loooong 12 hour night shift!
    I'm just glad I don't like mcds breakfast cause I'm currently on night shifts haha

    I don't eat McDonald's; but its potential impact on my weight has nothing to do with that decision.

    You may be over-complicating things by worrying too much about "types" of food. The key is to create a calorie deficit. People have done that even while consuming McDonald's and moderate portions of "sugary goodness."

    Obviously a balanced diet is best as far as long-term health is concerned; and many people could benefit from eating more whole foods, vegetables, and lean proteins. But from the standpoint of your weight-loss goal, it's all about the calorie deficit.

    People who are cautioning that 3lbs/week is unrealistic are telling you the truth.

    I did attend slimming world 2 years ago and was loosing 3lb a week. But It's not them saying that's unhealthy, it's the two telling me I will fail at the fitness side that's annoyed me.

    I stopped going due to money and was also at uni, ended up munching big bags of doritos and dip and living on take aways whilst finishing my last year which is how I gained so much, I started uni at 12 st and left at 15.7 st.

    I just can't remember much about the slimming world food now.
    Sure, I know it's unhealthy to drop it like that, However I'm not overly worried about that. In loosing all that weight so far would equal 2.6 lbs a week in the time I did it in. Unfortunately my anxiety has calmed down and I'm past what got me to that point. So no more easy weight loss.

    I do lose weight quite easily, that's just how my body works, slow metabolism, but provided I eat right, I do lose it well, which is where I'm struggling.

    I just don't get all this sodium, carbs, monosaturated, poly saturated, saturated, etc. Nor do I know what the hell to eat half the time and end up settling on pot noodles
  • kpeterson539
    kpeterson539 Posts: 220 Member
    You keep mentioning that you don't know what to eat. Many people have mentioned it's not WHAT you eat but the CALORIES that will cause you to lose weight. I feel that you want people to tell you what to do/eat but the only person who can decide that is YOU. If you have pot noodles, eat pot noodles. Just log them accurately.

    You may be looking for a magic food that will help you shed the weight. That magic food does not exist.
  • Chelleh616
    Chelleh616 Posts: 15 Member
    You keep mentioning that you don't know what to eat. Many people have mentioned it's not WHAT you eat but the CALORIES that will cause you to lose weight. I feel that you want people to tell you what to do/eat but the only person who can decide that is YOU. If you have pot noodles, eat pot noodles. Just log them accurately.

    You may be looking for a magic food that will help you shed the weight. That magic food does not exist.

    Noooo that's not the case, plus I don't trust the whole calorie thing it's fat content. I'm actually hoping someone can suggest meals that are low in fat. I'm not dumb I know about calories and stuff. I'm just useless at coming up with a meal plan and would like suggestions
  • Chelleh616
    Chelleh616 Posts: 15 Member
    Chelleh616 wrote: »
    You keep mentioning that you don't know what to eat. Many people have mentioned it's not WHAT you eat but the CALORIES that will cause you to lose weight. I feel that you want people to tell you what to do/eat but the only person who can decide that is YOU. If you have pot noodles, eat pot noodles. Just log them accurately.

    You may be looking for a magic food that will help you shed the weight. That magic food does not exist.

    Noooo that's not the case, plus I don't trust the whole calorie thing it's fat content. I'm actually hoping someone can suggest meals that are low in fat. I'm not dumb I know about calories and stuff. I'm just useless at coming up with a meal plan and would like suggestions

    It's the other stuff that I don't get, calories and fat content makes sense*
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,465 Member
    Let me get the parameters. You want to lose about two pounds a week to meet a goal this year. It will be a big boost if you manage to pass this year instead of having to wait. You don't know how to put a nutritious meal together and you work shifts with limited cooking (microwave and toaster oven) facilities available. You are tempted by the typical junk foods like Doritos and sweet stuff. It sounds like you are an police academy candidate already!
    1. You will lose at a good rate if you put your stats in to MFP and eat within the calorie goal offered you. I suggest you also input all your exercise and eat that back too because you don't want to turn in to a weakling from dieting at too steep a deficit.
    2. I define nutritious as a balanced diet that includes protein, fats, carbs with lots of fruits and vegetables. Visualize the plate shown below. That is nutritious. Try and get your lunch and dinner plates to look like that.
    3. Make a bit pot of chili and cook up a tray of chicken breasts to have a bunch of home made ready-to-eat meals. Buy a big bag of mixed veggies and pre-measure them up in to single serving packs you can heat in the microwave at work. This will be the foundation of your cost-saving pre-cooked meals that will save you money and take the thinking out of putting a meal together. Having these ready to go will also help keep you away from the doritos and the sweets.
    4. Buy some pre-made ready to heat meals to fill in the corners.
    5. The foundation of your breakfast will be either Greek Yogurt or an egg for your protein. Add a bit of toast, an English Muffin or a wrap and you are getting closer to a rounded-out meal. Add onion, tomato, or pepper for savoury, or fruit for sweet.

    The UK nutrition plate:
    7f788fbf16466c50b6dbb01ef2e17d29_w800.jpg
  • kpeterson539
    kpeterson539 Posts: 220 Member
    Really, it is the excess calories that make people gain weight. Fat is a wonderful satisfying macro nutrient that we all need for normal bodily functions. Please do not be scared of fat.

    And honestly, you're not dumb. I'm thinking you just need a bit of direction.

    http://www.skinnytaste.com/

    This is a website I like for tasty recipes with lower calorie content. Even the main page has a Weekly Food Plan. Take a look!
  • tonkacrew3
    tonkacrew3 Posts: 51 Member
    Chelleh616 wrote: »
    RobD520 wrote: »
    Chelleh616 wrote: »
    Serah87 wrote: »
    jdb3388 wrote: »
    you can lose 12 lbs in a week if you just cut out sodas, dairy, and sweets. Go to a Meat/Vegetable/fruit only diet. In a week to a week and a half you'll have lost 12lbs or more. Problem is, in 3-4 weeks you'll be right back to where you were.

    If you want to lose weight effectively and keep it off, its a process, a very tedious one. Don't worry about what you eat, just worry about how many calories you eat. It's a simple math problem, and if you look at it as such, you will be successful.

    NO!!! OP you don't need to cut out anything.

    OP eat at a reasonable deficit, keep with your walking/jogging and boom you will weight. Also get a food scale weigh your food that way your more accurate with logging.

    Good luck.

    Got the scales, my problems is, a) I go shopping whilst hungry (like now)
    B) I see sugary goodness everywhere
    C) I don't know what to have for tea... ever :(

    Currently on the couch to 9k NHS programme (ahem to those who have said I can't.. if I can do that I sure as hell can pass a 3-4 minute bleep test :neutral: )

    Lol I need someone to plan my meals every day haha need to hire someone to slap me every time I try eat junk food. Doesn't help mcds is on the way home from a loooong 12 hour night shift!
    I'm just glad I don't like mcds breakfast cause I'm currently on night shifts haha

    I don't eat McDonald's; but its potential impact on my weight has nothing to do with that decision.

    You may be over-complicating things by worrying too much about "types" of food. The key is to create a calorie deficit. People have done that even while consuming McDonald's and moderate portions of "sugary goodness."

    Obviously a balanced diet is best as far as long-term health is concerned; and many people could benefit from eating more whole foods, vegetables, and lean proteins. But from the standpoint of your weight-loss goal, it's all about the calorie deficit.

    People who are cautioning that 3lbs/week is unrealistic are telling you the truth.

    I did attend slimming world 2 years ago and was loosing 3lb a week. But It's not them saying that's unhealthy, it's the two telling me I will fail at the fitness side that's annoyed me.

    I stopped going due to money and was also at uni, ended up munching big bags of doritos and dip and living on take aways whilst finishing my last year which is how I gained so much, I started uni at 12 st and left at 15.7 st.

    I just can't remember much about the slimming world food now.
    Sure, I know it's unhealthy to drop it like that, However I'm not overly worried about that. In loosing all that weight so far would equal 2.6 lbs a week in the time I did it in. Unfortunately my anxiety has calmed down and I'm past what got me to that point. So no more easy weight loss.

    I do lose weight quite easily, that's just how my body works, slow metabolism, but provided I eat right, I do lose it well, which is where I'm struggling.

    I just don't get all this sodium, carbs, monosaturated, poly saturated, saturated, etc. Nor do I know what the hell to eat half the time and end up settling on pot noodles

    It's okay. I have learned not to stress. Just eat god, healthy, balanced foods, drink water instead of sugary drinks, and find a form of exercise you enjoy. Having fun and making healthy choices are the key. That is why I listed full plate living earlier. The book is only a few dollars on ebay or amazon. It was designed for people who have been diagnosed with diabetes. It teaches how to make healthier choices without starving or becoming unhealthy and unbalanced so we just put the Wright right back on. It becomes a lifestyle. I have enjoyed it. It even gives you a grocery list of the foods you can buy each payday. Plus...it isn't a diet plan, it grows with you and becomes habit...which is what we all need. As far as exercise, do you like dancing? Or maybe a sport like soccer, basketball, baseball...et. the kind of active hobbies you enjoy could become your daily routine exercise. Just have fun.
  • cb2bslim
    cb2bslim Posts: 153 Member
    edited May 2016
    Your key question is "balanced diet". No one can tell you what to eat because everyone is different with different taste buds. I wanted to eat healthier while losing weight because I wanted this to be a lifestyle change so I didn't gain it back and to give my body the best fuel. I like simple and I eat simple and I don't buy into fad diets. This is what I did:

    I searched for ideas the web for well balanced meals for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I looked at it from a Protein, Carb, Fat and Fiber point of view (which you can even search for each of those individually). I made myself a list of all my favorites and just rotated them daily. Once I understood healthier eating, I then started trying different foods/recipes. For snacks, I would pick foods that would keep me satisfied until the next meal time. For a sweet tooth, I would eat a Protein bar that was high in fiber.

    I lost all my weight on eating healthier, eating at a deficit, weighing my foods and logging foods. One important thing is finding the right combo of foods, so you don't feel hungry all the time. I also walked to keep my heart healthy and boom the weight came off.

    Good luck to you!

    Some examples of some changes I made to reach my fiber or protein:
    • whole grain bread instead of white bread
    • brown rice instead of white rice
    • Greek yogurt instead of low fat yogurt
    • 1% milk instead of 2%
    • old fashion oats instead of instant
  • Chelleh616
    Chelleh616 Posts: 15 Member
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Let me get the parameters. You want to lose about two pounds a week to meet a goal this year. It will be a big boost if you manage to pass this year instead of having to wait. You don't know how to put a nutritious meal together and you work shifts with limited cooking (microwave and toaster oven) facilities available. You are tempted by the typical junk foods like Doritos and sweet stuff. It sounds like you are an police academy candidate already!
    1. You will lose at a good rate if you put your stats in to MFP and eat within the calorie goal offered you. I suggest you also input all your exercise and eat that back too because you don't want to turn in to a weakling from dieting at too steep a deficit.
    2. I define nutritious as a balanced diet that includes protein, fats, carbs with lots of fruits and vegetables. Visualize the plate shown below. That is nutritious. Try and get your lunch and dinner plates to look like that.
    3. Make a bit pot of chili and cook up a tray of chicken breasts to have a bunch of home made ready-to-eat meals. Buy a big bag of mixed veggies and pre-measure them up in to single serving packs you can heat in the microwave at work. This will be the foundation of your cost-saving pre-cooked meals that will save you money and take the thinking out of putting a meal together. Having these ready to go will also help keep you away from the doritos and the sweets.
    4. Buy some pre-made ready to heat meals to fill in the corners.
    5. The foundation of your breakfast will be either Greek Yogurt or an egg for your protein. Add a bit of toast, an English Muffin or a wrap and you are getting closer to a rounded-out meal. Add onion, tomato, or pepper for savoury, or fruit for sweet.

    The UK nutrition plate:
    7f788fbf16466c50b6dbb01ef2e17d29_w800.jpg

    THANK YOU!!! this makes Alot more sense to me. And you read what I was asking lol

    I only got really confused because I've been logging and I keep getting things like "your goal for sodium today is xxxx" and I'm like.... what?!?!

    I think my biggest problem is I never have any idea what to cook and get bored very easy, if a meal is tasteless I find myself snacking on more crap to compensate, but struggle as I don't often cook and at work I can't.

    Unfortunately I'm also not a fan of microwave, I do enjoy cooking and prefer home cooked but basically, to sum it up - I'm to lazy at 7.30pm to make food for either that day or the day after.
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    No need to stress so much.

    You don't have to have a complicated menu w/cooking and lots of fresh ingredients to lose weight.

    Especially since you are looking at a 6 week project here. Figure out a one day menu that works for you and sounds appetizing, then add variety as needed. Maybe you would be fine with the same meals mostly, but just switch up your tea. That equals a lot less planning. Some people do an A/B system, e.g. A day is eggs for breakfast and B day is porridge.

    I don't know specific brands and such to recommend in the UK, but there are other UK folks on the site. Maybe give a shout out for UK members with open diaries that you can look at for ideas.

    My diary is open if you want to look, though I don't know how helpful it will be.

    And if you like sweets then include them some way. Maybe you can find a chocolate protein bar or protein shake that you really like, or just make room every day for a square of good chocolate.

    Good luck. :)
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    edited May 2016
    If you just need to drop pounds to make a certain weight, stick with your MFP calorie goal, and lower your carbs and sodium. You'll lose some fat (a few pounds at least) and several pounds of water weight. The loss of water weight from reduced carbs and sodium may be enough to help you make weight.

    Edit: If you're just talking a few weeks here, you could always buy a bunch of light frozen dinners like Lean Cuisine, enough for three meals a day, to meet your calorie goal. Just eat those. The portions and calories are already done for you. It wouldn't be the tastiest way to do this, but might be the easiest.
  • Chelleh616
    Chelleh616 Posts: 15 Member
    Thank you all for the advise, people make dieting sound like cutting out sugar and fat completely and this that and the other, it all gets super confusing, then adding stuff like sodium a d whatever into the mix
    It's frustrating to say the least. I've n
    ever been good with planning food, and I do just want to drop the first initial pounds, once they have gone then I don't care if it takes me 2 years to lose the last 2.5 stone, atleast I won't be categorised ad obese
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,456 Member
    OP I am sorry if you read my earlier responses as saying you can't achieve your goals of joining the police force or that you wouldn't be able to accomplish the fitness milestones. I am not saying that at all. What I am saying is that losing 3 lbs/week may not be realistic, and if you do accomplish it, you may not be the healthiest version of yourself that you can be.

    When people try to manage expectations or point out the math required to create that calorie deficit in order to lose the weight that quickly, that is not negativity or discouragement. That is support in the form of setting realistic, healthy expectations so that you aren't disappointed or devastated if you don't meet your goal, or that if you meet that goal but don't have the energy to perform well on the physical exams, you don't see yourself as a complete failure.

    Also, have you spent time reading the links I provided upthread? They provide a lot of explanations about your questions regarding macro and micronutrient goals.