• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    cvavwhc2soh3.jpg

<3
  • TravisJHunt
    TravisJHunt Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I'd say I agree with a lot of people on here, folks really aren't paying that much attention. I don't know how many times I've actually been almost run over so obviously people see me less than I think they do. One thing I find that helps is to listen to music. It removes the outside noises and lets me focus on running so I don't even sometimes notice the people outside (obviously you've got to have a safe place to do this without being in traffic). So go out and enjoy the fact that you are making a positive difference in your health, which is more than anyone watching you is doing! We can't change what others think, we can only affect ourselves!
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    (My thought process when I'm driving and see someone running, even when I'm feeling judgy :) ...)

"Look at that woman running in the rain, that's crazy..."

"Oh look a squirrel..."

"How many more hours till I can go home?"

"I hate this song..."

I guess what I mean is that people may NOTICE you, but only fleetingly. And then they go on with their little life and forget all about you.

What did you think of the last person you saw running? Not much? EXACTLY. And that's what people think of you, too.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I did not read all the posts, but running in front of my neighbors was horrifying at first and then this quickly went a way. I got dialed into my thing and all that faded.

When I took to running on the streets around my neighborhood, these poeple do not know me or could have cared less. I have not been honked at or whistled at or anything, people see you in running gear and only look because they wish they were doing it to.

Trust me this is all in your head.

edited to add: I run the rain, and people still look, I get caught singing to my music and people still look.. I have even been caught singing out loud, and I really just don't care. It is me and road and nothing else matters.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    idotkd wrote: »
    and ended up doing laps around my driveway

Worst. Run. Ever.

Just go. You'll be fine.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    is it so bad if people pay attention to you as you run by? I run early, mostly because that fits with my schedule and levels of motivation, but also because I am less awake, and less likely to have to negotiate people as I run. But I mostly meet other runners, dog walkers and just walkers. This morning we all said hi to each other in passing, and you know what that made me feel? Happy. It made me smile that I could smile at another person, before 7am, and hopefully make the other person smile.

Having said that I’ve noticed the people who say hi are elderly walkers and runners, and other women never even make eye contact. But it kind of makes my day acknowledging a stranger. I doubt they think anything of me apart from ‘oh, she said Hi and smiled at me’. Try it.

I like this. I never used to say hi to/acknowledge others when running -- nor did they say hi to me. But over the past 2 years I've been running with my dad whenever I visit my parents (he lives in Southern Washington in an area with lots of trails) and he is obsessive about saying hi to anyone who passes as basic politeness. So I picked up the habit and at least acknowledge and smile at people I pass, and they usually do the same, especially the other runners. It always makes me feel good.
  • Desidi7
    Desidi7 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm exactly the same.I always think that someone is looking at me thinking how out of shape I am, since I'm obviously struggling a lot. Used to even get a little panicky before a run (I blame high shool for my insecurities :p )
    I definitely don't think you should hide in your room or buy a tredmill. Don't put so much power in other peoples hands over your life. Get over your fear the first couple of times and I promise it gets easier every time you do it. And as you can see from the comments in this thread most people aren't out to get you :smile: .
  • TheDraya23
    TheDraya23 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I suck at running right now. I just started a six-month training plan for a marathon. I am technically labelled as obese although I am mostly healthy. I had the same problem as you, worried about what others think. You know what though? Others don't have to live in my body. They don't have to get up in the morning and squeeze into my pants. I made a decision one day to just do it. If someone sees me and they make fun of me, that says more about who they are as a person than it does about how I am as a runner. Get out of your comfort zone. I love being outside and attempting to run. I ran my fastest 3 miles the other day at 43:07. Others could do six miles in that time. Whoopty Do. This was good for me and I am proud of it. Others may see you trying and be inspired. Get out there for you, because it's what you want. Screw what people think when they see you!
  • carmkizzle
    carmkizzle Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    People notice that there's a person out on the street running, okay, no big deal. I wouldn't say that they're "paying attention", taking notes. They aren't watching you through binoculars and eating popcorn. Get you some sunglasses, get some music, and get your run on.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    idotkd wrote: »
    I'm starting running and I'm really intimidated, not by the actual running but by doing it on the street where people can see me. I need to just go but yesterday I couldn't do it and ended up doing laps around my driveway. Any tips for not feeling this way? Also I'm always open for more friends.
    ❤️Faith

We were all intimidated at first. The only thing you can do is get out there and run.
    People are in their own zone and will not be paying any attention to you. It's the way it is.
    Go for a run, smile or wave at runners you pass if you can, don't be offended if they don't respond (as you may not respond to others; remember, everyone is in their own zone). Have fun.

The feeling of intimidation goes away quickly and you'll enjoy your runs a lot.
    Keep running.
  • shadow997
    shadow997 Posts: 31 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Okay I'm going to tell you not to , not because of the way you may look, as a former runner ( now hurt) for ever 5lb overweight you put about like 35 lb of pressure on your knees(or some stupid #) go out walk or a fast walk, your calorie burn is about the same go for a bike ride. Get out side, go for a hike up some hills. Some much you can do outside. I know will will get a lot of hate about this. Sorry
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    No hate, shadow997. It's best to not start running until one can comfortably walk at least 30 minutes at a brisk pace. With running, its a matter of "start slow; then go slower" until all body systems are ready to pick up the pace. That helps keep injuries away.
  • jessicarobinson00
    jessicarobinson00 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Laps around your driveway is great, next do laps around your block, then a couple blocks...ease into it!
  • Jams009
    Jams009 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Being a runner is the perfect stealth cloak; noone notices runners.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    People will pay attention, but that's okay. Other runners will smile and wave. People who like to run, but aren't running, will smile and waive. Kids will say hi. Dogs will bark. Every once in a while I get a whoop, "run Forrest", or something from a passing car.

Once you get yourself out there chances are pretty good you will no longer care what anyone thinks about you. Remember that a lot of people you encounter were also out of shape at one point in their life too. One of my running friends was overweight before she became an Ironwoman. She's been one of my best cheerleaders ever. I ran a 5k with her once, she finished before me, and waited at the finish line so she could cheer me on.

Running is about going out there and putting one foot in front of the other. Over and over and over again. This is about you, and your road. Force yourself to go. After a while you won't think twice about it.
  • soufauxgirl
    soufauxgirl Posts: 392 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    As a beginner to running, when out for my daily walk yesterday I decided to run the last km home, it was turning dusky and it was on a busy main road but boy it was an exhilarating feeling, especially the breeze rushing past me. Felt a small sense of achievement because in that moment in time i didnt give a rats behind who saw me lol. I say just do it in small stages and you will be fine :smile:
  • soufauxgirl
    soufauxgirl Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    carmkizzle wrote: »
    People notice that there's a person out on the street running, okay, no big deal. I wouldn't say that they're "paying attention", taking notes. They aren't watching you through binoculars and eating popcorn. Get you some sunglasses, get some music, and get your run on.

Speak for yourself.

BirdPopcorn.gif

Haha thats gold!
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    shadow997 wrote: »
    Okay I'm going to tell you not to , not because of the way you may look, as a former runner ( now hurt) for ever 5lb overweight you put about like 35 lb of pressure on your knees(or some stupid #) go out walk or a fast walk, your calorie burn is about the same go for a bike ride. Get out side, go for a hike up some hills. Some much you can do outside. I know will will get a lot of hate about this. Sorry

No hate, but not a lot of sense in your post either....Walking or bike riding will not burn the same amount of calories...
    And if you are overweight, your knees will take a pounding, doesn't matter if you run, walk fast or walk up hills....
    But if you do it in a sensible way, you will be fine... (Coming from someone who started running at 230lbs....Funny enough, the more weight I lost, the less my knees bothered me.....)

And OP - no one really cares enough to look at others......