Replies

• allysacatherinemcallister
    Options
    Wouldnt i lose more at a lower intake?
    Options
    kareeRose wrote: »
    You've lost 7lbs in 10 days. Looks like somethings off in the calculations.

I thought so too but then assumed it was just water weight

I guess it goes back to make sure you are weighing all of your food to be sure your eating all of the calories you think you are.

Ive been using the cups and tablespoon method. No food scale. Is that not sufficient?
    A food scale seems a bit eating disorderish to me.
  • texasleahgirl
    texasleahgirl Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I was having the same problem until I started eating more FIBER. Eat homemade steel cut oatmeal, raspberries, boiled or baked potatoes, sprouted bread, beans, apples, pears etc. Seriously try boiled potatoes with salt only-they are the most satiating food tested.
  • kareeRose
    kareeRose Posts: 32 Member
    Options

I guess it goes back to make sure you are weighing all of your food to be sure your eating all of the calories you think you are.

Ive been using the cups and tablespoon method. No food scale. Is that not sufficient?

Cups and tablespoons are not as accurate, no. I think the point is you feel very hungry and you've lost a ton of weight in a short period of time. Weight loss is supposed to be slower. Not consuming enough calories is "eating disorderish". Not saying at all that you have an eating disorder.
    Options
    I was having the same problem until I started eating more FIBER. Eat homemade steel cut oatmeal, raspberries, boiled or baked potatoes, sprouted bread, beans, apples, pears etc. Seriously try boiled potatoes with salt only-they are the most satiating food tested.

I got some mashed potatoes in a frozen lean cuizine type deal today and it honestly was so glorious. Lol
    Options
    So the concensus is that im not eating enough?
    I hate that the number on the scale dropping is the only thing that changes my mind when it comes to eating right. The fast loss is what has kept me on track for two weeks except for my cheat day. I still chose veggies and chicken but the portions were crazy big.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I can't live eating many small meals, well...I guess I can eat a small breakfast, a small lunch, but I save the bulk of my calories for a truly satisfying dinner. I just need to know psychologically that a real meal is coming, and that also stops me from eating snacks at night
  • kareeRose
    kareeRose Posts: 32 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    So the concensus is that im not eating enough?
    I hate that the number on the scale dropping is the only thing that changes my mind when it comes to eating right. The fast loss is what has kept me on track for two weeks except for my cheat day. I still chose veggies and chicken but the portions were crazy big.

It's unknown if you aren't eating enough, the most accurate way to find out is by weighing your food. I've consecutively lost 2 lbs a week since I've started a few weeks ago and for me the feeling is just as amazing. The feeling of hunger and deprivation, could lead to "uncontrollable" cravings that will draw you to a place like Burger King only to leave you feeling miserable in the end. Just my thoughts I am in no way an expert.
  • luciroo
    luciroo Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    You will still lose weight increasing your calories some, just not as fast. Would you rather lose more slowly and not feel like you are starving, or lose faster and be hungry all the time?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    H- 5ft7
    SW- 214 on may 9th
    CW- 207 this morning
    GW- 150
    Set at 1350cals for a loss of 1.5lbs a wk
    How do i know my 'deficit'?
    Sorry, newbie.

I'm a little shorter than you, weigh a little less, a lot older, and would be a hangry witch on a mere 1350 calories per day. When I started, I set my weekly weight loss goal for 1 pound a week and am only hungry right before meals. I also focus on foods that satiate me. http://www.nutrition.org.uk/healthyliving/fuller/understanding-satiety-feeling-full-after-a-meal.html

Did you really only have 1,040 calories on Sunday or did you forget to log something? 1,040 is not enough for someone our size.

Are the foods in your Snacks meals eaten between lunch and dinner? Instead of just grapes or apples, have some protein and fat with them, for example, add peanut butter to apples.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,687 Member
    Options

No. A food scale is less fussy and time-consuming when you learn a few tricks, so (maybe) less eating disorderish. And less washing up, besides.
    • For things where you take a portion out of a jar/carton (yogurt, peanut butter, pre-shredded cheese, etc.), put the whole jar/container/bag on the scale, zero (tare) it, take out some, and read the negative value on the scale to get the amount to log. You can take out an amount that matches the serving size on the container, if you prefer.
    • For things like salad ingredients (or soup/casserole/etc ingredients you're assembling in a pan or baking dish, put the dish or pan on the scale, zero it, add an ingredient to the dish, note the amount, zero again, add the next ingredient, zero, etc., until everything's in the dish or pan.

Easy, quick, accurate, not obsessive. And a scale only costs around $20.
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    H- 5ft7
    SW- 214 on may 9th
    CW- 207 this morning
    GW- 150
    Set at 1350cals for a loss of 1.5lbs a wk
    How do i know my 'deficit'?
    Sorry, newbie.

I'm a little shorter than you, weigh a little less, a lot older, and would be a hangry witch on a mere 1350 calories per day. When I started, I set my weekly weight loss goal for 1 pound a week and am only hungry right before meals. I also focus on foods that satiate me. http://www.nutrition.org.uk/healthyliving/fuller/understanding-satiety-feeling-full-after-a-meal.html

Did you really only have 1,040 calories on Sunday or did you forget to log something? 1,040 is not enough for someone our size.

Are the foods in your Snacks meals eaten between lunch and dinner? Instead of just grapes or apples, have some protein and fat with them, for example, add peanut butter to apples.

Yeah ive made sure to log everything i swallow. If i cant be honest with myself, whats the point?!
    Sunday i slept in till 11 am so i just went ahead and logged as lunch. My boyfriend got himself krystals and the roommate had left over pizza so i ate one of each and a bowl of the sacred heart veggie soup i prepared saturday. Then we went to a car show. No food trucks there so all i had was a bottle of water. We didnt get home till around 6:30pm and thats when i had my dinner. I didnt have snacks that day. I guess i was so busy i didnt notice i was hungry. I also did a lot of walking at the show.

Usually i eat breakfast at 8am right before leaving for the office. Then i eat a snack around ten am but most of the time my 'snack' is a coffee with ALOT of creamer. . Lunch hour is scheduled at 12:30. I like to eat something sweet around 2:30pm because i start getting sleepy again. Off work by 5:30 pm. Then dinner at 6pm.
    Days that i eat like this im super hungry by 10pm (bedtime).

If i skip breakfast and save the cals for later.ill binge during my lunch hour AND dinner.
  • ALLENFLO
    ALLENFLO Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I will throw out into the idea pool that you are not having enough fat and or protein during your lunch to keep you satiated until dinner.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Options

Can you elaborate? What day? Im logging incorrectly?
    ALLENFLO wrote: »
    I will throw out into the idea pool that you are not having enough fat and or protein during your lunch to keep you satiated until dinner.

I thought fat was bad? "Lowfat" is a better choice over regular, right?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

You said you were using cups and measuring spoons.
    Did you watch the video?

PS: There is nothing wrong with fat, our body and brain needs it to function optimally. Eating fat doesn't make you fat, eating too many calories does.
    Options

You said you were using cups and measuring spoons.
    Did you watch the video?

PS: There is nothing wrong with fat, our body and brain needs it to function optimally. Eating fat doesn't make you fat, eating too many calories does.

I didnt know that was a video. I just watched it.
    Omgosh!
    Options
    Took everyones advice and had peanut butter and basically meat for lunch. Had to force a dinner!
    Not hungry!!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I just want to say that you need to eat in a way you can sustain. That means not dropping your calories so low you are starving, eating enough protein and fats, and eating food you like. If you can't imagine giving up a food for life then figure out how to make it fit your goal.
    If you want a hamburger but don't want fast food go to the grocery store and buy some ground beef and cook your own. Not difficult.
    Even a fast food burger isn't terrible nutrition or calorie wise if you don't get a triple cheeseburger with bacon plus fries and a shake. I just get a regular burger with a side salad and an unsweetened tea.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options

Low fat is actually bad. We need fat for a number of body functions, and for fat-soluble vitamins.