Options
14567810»

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I doubt it's a safety issue. Other gyms don't seem to need this silly policy. There's a FB thread on it where someone from PF weighed in and said it was to prevent intimidation. This is also their reason for not permitting deadlifts, apparently (sigh), and intimidating clothing (whatever that is--yes, I do have some idea, the question is rhetorical) is also forbidden.

Their own FAQ explains the gallon jug thing as:

"In order to maintain our No Gymtimidation environment, gallon jugs are not allowed on the club floor."

The idea that their customers are so easily intimidated is precisely why I would never join one. Ugh, how demeaning.

For full disclosure, there's not one convenient to me anyway, though, so it's not like it's an issue.

They're building one soon in our town. I've never set foot in one, but I'll tour it when it opens just so I can sneer at their stupid rules, dumb signs and silly lunk alarm and tell them I'd never join their gym even if they gave me a membership for free. I'm tempted to walk in for the tour wearing combat boots, knee wraps, spandex shorts, a flat bill ball cap and a spaghetti string tank top, carrying a gallon jug of water.

And I'm 54 years old. And not even a meathead.

giphy.gif
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    sarahlifts wrote: »
    How to quit has been answered.

You sound like you have an issue with being around other humans. No gym would be right for you.

However the pervasive contempt for PF is simply put, annoying. I transformed my body (see profile pic and others in photos) at Planet Fitness.

I am so grateful for my Planet Fitness.
    It's huge compared to other gyms within 3 miles of my home Xsport, La Fitness, and Charter fitness.

The dumbbells range from 5 lbs - 60 lbs in 2.5 lb increments going up in weight. Other local gyms only had 1 set of dumbbells for each weight and no 2.5lb steps up in weight just 5 or even 10 lb jump.

I don't need dumbbells over 60 lbs. If someone does, I'd like to see them curl for reps 6-10 in range with 3+ sets

Nope there is no squat rack. I'm okay with a smith and 45 degree leg press, cables and fixed barbells. La Fitness only had 1 squat rack and one smith. this would never work for me. I am at the gym to grind not wait.

Its always clean the staff is friendly (I'm there 6 days a week) they know me.

every PF is different tho. I've visited most gyms within a 10 mile radius of me and I love my gym.

As for the candy, pizza and bagels, um make it fit into your caloric range. I've never indulged. I've only seen the candy never seen the food.

My coworker has bench pressed with 150 pound dumbbells but now uses 120s as that's the heaviest at his current gym.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

You sound like you have an issue with being around other humans. No gym would be right for you.

However the pervasive contempt for PF is simply put, annoying. I transformed my body (see profile pic and others in photos) at Planet Fitness.

It's huge compared to other gyms within 3 miles of my home Xsport, La Fitness, and Charter fitness.

The dumbbells range from 5 lbs - 60 lbs in 2.5 lb increments going up in weight. Other local gyms only had 1 set of dumbbells for each weight and no 2.5lb steps up in weight just 5 or even 10 lb jump.

I don't need dumbbells over 60 lbs. If someone does, I'd like to see them curl for reps 6-10 in range with 3+ sets

Nope there is no squat rack. I'm okay with a smith and 45 degree leg press, cables and fixed barbells. La Fitness only had 1 squat rack and one smith. this would never work for me. I am at the gym to grind not wait.

every PF is different tho. I've visited most gyms within a 10 mile radius of me and I love my gym.

As for the candy, pizza and bagels, um make it fit into your caloric range. I've never indulged. I've only seen the candy never seen the food.

My coworker has bench pressed with 150 pound dumbbells but now uses 120s as that's the heaviest at his current gym.

Most of what @Sarahlifts said is absolutely true, but people are picking out the curls point... that is the only point I take issue with. I am not very strong and not a consistent lifter (I go to the gym when my schedule allows), but I do sets of 15 retractions and protractions with a 60 lb. dumbell. It wouldn't take much if I was a consistent lifter or at fewer reps to do 70 or 80 lbs.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Did you sign a contract, like at the YMCA? If not, it's easy to quit- stop paying and stop showing up.
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

Again why do you think they only thing you do with dumbbells is curl? I do 1 legged romanian dead lifts with an 80 lbs dumbbell for 5x8 oh I also 1 arm row with a 60 lbs db.

No squat rack and olympic bars is a deal breaker. I would rather wait than squat in the smith machine. It's horrible for squatting.

I don't think all one can do is curl with a dumb bell...you assumed this. Awesome work on ur lifts.
  • Lose2Cruise2016
    Lose2Cruise2016 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    1. Grunt loudly as you exercise.
    2. Walk in with a gallon water jug.
    3. Continue to wear forbidden clothing like tank tops.
    4. Pretty much act like a "bro" and your membership will be terminated.

Wait..... They try to forbid what type of water bottle you bring?!? That would be an immediate no, refuse to join.

If your water bottle won't fit in the holder that's on the machine, you'd have to set it on the floor, which is a safety issue. It's also why you can't bring your gym bag out onto the workout floor.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    This is a bizarre thread... makes me glad that a). I don't live in the US and b). I don't go to a gym.
    I know, I know, many of them are not like this, but even so....

Although the things that worries me most of all was the casual reference to tanning beds. This would immediately tell me that this business does not care about the health of their customers, presumably they see demand so they continue to provide them in spite of the link with increased incidence of melanoma. They are now banned in all states of Australia which I'm very happy about.
  • Double__Bubble
    Double__Bubble Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Your thinking too much into it. Just tell them to cancel your membership. If you haven't been with them for a year or longer they charge a early cancellation fee, we'll at least the planet fitness in Arizona do. I was told that if you get a note from your doctor stating that it's doctor's orders that you can not attend the gym any longer then they can't charge you a early cancellation fee. Not sure if it's true. Just breath, stop thinking to much into it, and do what you ultimately want to do.
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    The gallon jug rule has nothing to do with bottle size or tripping. It has everything to do with them wanting it to be a family friendly gym. Keep out the meatheads, the ones who always drop the biggest weights on the floor. You know the type. Is it a stereotype? Yes. Is it true? Yes, as much as I've ever seen.

No offense but this is ridiculous. How on earth does not allowing gallon jugs equate to being family friendly?? Do they automatically become not family friendly just because someone bring a jug?

So if I have a gallon jug, I am automatically a "meat head"?

It's called stereotyping. The people who believe this sort of thing have bought into a vicious stereotype.

Exactly the sort of stereotype that PF likes to perpetuate in order to make their clients feel better about themselves.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    pebble4321 wrote: »
    This is a bizarre thread... makes me glad that a). I don't live in the US and b). I don't go to a gym.
    I know, I know, many of them are not like this, but even so....

Most gyms are not like PF. Not only are gyms quite diverse, with a wide variety of target customers that they cater to, but PF exists to attract people who are not typically drawn to the traditional gym or believe they would be less comfortable there. It's why they go out of their way to irritate certain other kinds of potential customers -- it helps their marketing. (It bothers me that they use stereotyping, personally, and the water jug thing is just weird. No, it's not a safety issue. My gym is not a hazard because we don't have such a rule, for example.)

Why this is somehow relevant to how the US is, I dunno. That seems like a worse overgeneralization than any even PF has made.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    1. Grunt loudly as you exercise.
    2. Walk in with a gallon water jug.
    3. Continue to wear forbidden clothing like tank tops.
    4. Pretty much act like a "bro" and your membership will be terminated.

Wait..... They try to forbid what type of water bottle you bring?!? That would be an immediate no, refuse to join.

If your water bottle won't fit in the holder that's on the machine, you'd have to set it on the floor, which is a safety issue. It's also why you can't bring your gym bag out onto the workout floor.

As pointed out half a dozen times in this thread, PF's site even says it's not due to safety. It's the "intimidation" the jug and the people that use them gives off.

It's part of their "judgment free" stereotyping.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I love PF! I go early in the morning in proper attire and the gym is pretty empty. I left another gym with a tiny bathroom shower locker area to PF with the perfect set up. There is no sense in bucking the rules. You can buy your own treadmill second hand fairly cheap.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    WTH is all of this agonizing - you go in and say, I'm cancelling, and if they ask why, you say "personal reasons". It's none of their bleeping business. You're paying Planet Fitness for a service which you no longer need -- you're not dating Planet Fitness. You're the one in control.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    By this point OP has probably quit successfully.
  • lilyrito
    lilyrito Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I just recently quit Planet Fitness. It was super easy. They didn't ask why but it was just too far for me to drive. The form you fill out asks why and I just put that.
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I've read numerous stories of people being billed by PF after they've already quit. A friend of mine who works for a credit card company reports the same thing.
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    Yeah you don't have to give reason. I can see why no sandals- it's a safety thing. And my gym is always playing music but I and everyone else there usually is wearing headphones so I can't even hear it. I go to Anytime Fitness- it's never crowded. But I do live in a small town, so....
  • MRBDDB
    MRBDDB Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say you sound a lot like me and I can relate. Gyms aren't my thing either (struggle with social anxiety). I've done Gold's and when I read on here that PF was like the Walmart of gyms I was like no thanks! I am however thinking of starting to work out where I do Physical Therapy for knee surgery I had. They have lots of cardio machines and weights along with a lap pool. It's a little more pricey each month but it's a very small place, mostly older people and I have come to love all the staff there, almost like a mom and pop shop.
  • FatMomRun
    FatMomRun Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have a planet fitness membership, but honestly I don't use the gym, I use it for the unlimited tanning. Once my best friend gets married and the wedding photo are taken, I'm cancelling my membership.

My community has a 24 hour gym that I have access too and numerous running trails.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Well, I still like PF and go most weekday mornings. It doesn't feel like a discount place. It's clean and bright and friendly and not crowded. The main thing is to exercise wherever and however makes you happy.