Replies

• sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Just wow. Thanks for confirming.
  • frugalshrimp
    frugalshrimp Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Exercise has been shown to have an effect similar to anti-depressant medication. It is powerful stuff. I would encourage you to go out (or stay in) and DO some physical activity. I promise it will help you feel better. I don't know about prayer, but it surely won't hurt. Medications have pros and cons --most antidepressants work, but they take a while (6+ weeks) and most will bring some unwanted weight gain. Exercise will help --with your weight loss, your fitness, your mood, and your sleep. Please try it --and get help. I'm rooting for you!
  • frugalshrimp
    frugalshrimp Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Ws2016 wrote: »
    I want to reemphasize that moods are like the weather. Sometimes you have to wait out winter, but Spring will come. Also, even in the summer, there are storms. And they pass. No one stays the same mood all the time.

I know a lot of people are recommending medication to rebalance brain chemicals, but I would urge you to try other things first. Exercise had been shown to be as or more effective in treating depression than meds. The side effects of those medicines can further the depression. (Hair loss, weight gain, suicidal ideation, diabetes, kidney problems). Just hold on to the idea that 1) it will pass and 2) with God, you CAN have joy while you wait 3) It can get better faster than you think if you pursue getting better every day with prayer, gratitude, exercise, staying away from things that make it worse.

Depression has NOTHING to do with moods. It is a physical brain disorder. Physical, not mental.

Chemical imbalances affect your body *and* your mental state. There is no clear line separating physical and mental. Physical activity *and* meds (and prayer, by the way) have been shown to act on serotonin levels. ALL those things help. Let's be helpful and kind.
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Roid rage man sez: The OP didn't ask for your religious voodoo BS. She's seeking help. She needs to get help from qualified professionals, not people who are so backwards and stupid as to still be following a book written thousands of years ago and disproven during the Enlightement.* Have you ever actually read that piece of trash? Without selectively ignoring the parts you don't like? I guaranty <"guarantee"> you're not following it. No sane person would.

*Age of enlightenment--KNOWN for advancing "liberty, progress, tolerance, fraternity" ….NONE of which is offered in his comments. Now, if the posters were church representatives enforcing religious dogma then Mr. Roid might have a point, but as individuals offering private opinions the rage towards them is not appropriate.
    +++++++++++++

The beauty of free speech is we are each allowed to have and express our own opinions.

Yet "Hey-I-can-haul-300-lbs-of-car-chassis-weight-around" doesn't believe ANY posters can offer theirs, nor can anyone else who breathes the words HE doesn't believe. HIM HIM HIM..all about him.

Notice all the other posters calmly held their ground, practicing their kindness, while this rabidly negative human keeps spitting hate? He can verbally splooge what HE believes, but you can't.

That is how "enlightened discourse" works in his mind.

Good thing we don't have to like it. Or listen. Just another day in MFP Open Forums
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Roid rage man sez: The OP didn't ask for your religious voodoo BS. She's seeking help. She needs to get help from qualified professionals, not people who are so backwards and stupid as to still be following a book written thousands of years ago and disproven during the Enlightement.* Have you ever actually read that piece of trash? Without selectively ignoring the parts you don't like? I guaranty <"guarantee"> you're not following it. No sane person would.

*Age of enlightenment--KNOWN for advancing "liberty, progress, tolerance, fraternity" ….NONE of which is offered in his comments. Now, if the posters were church representatives enforcing religious dogma then Mr. Roid might have a point, but as individuals offering private opinions the rage towards them is not appropriate.
    +++++++++++++

The beauty of free speech is we are each allowed to have and express our own opinions.

Yet "Hey-I-can-haul-300-lbs-of-car-chassis-weight-around" doesn't believe ANY posters can offer theirs, nor can anyone else who breathes the words HE doesn't believe. HIM HIM HIM..all about him.

Notice all the other posters calmly held their ground, practicing their kindness, while this rabidly negative human keeps spitting hate? He can verbally splooge what HE believes, but you can't.

That is how "enlightened discourse" works in his mind.

Good thing we don't have to like it. Or listen. Just another day in MFP Open Forums

Nor do you need to believe in evidence or science. You're allowed to believe what you like. There is no "enlightened discourse" when it comes to religion. There is no evidence that god exists or evidence of the supernatural or a life hereafter. It all comes down to belief. You're allowed your beliefs until those beliefs endager lives. I do find it amusing, however, when someone calls for hightened scrutiny to medicine and then pushes prayer. The cognitive dissonance is defening.

Oh, and thanks for the roid rage reference. High compliments. Your tone belies your own rage. I actually have none. I simply feel sorry for people who can't seem to keep themselves focused on evidence rather than losing themselves in fantasy and belief.

There is a very real concern though when it comes to religion in conflict with medicine. Pastors and religious leaders often give very poor advice and by "poor" I mean inconsistent with current knowledge and understanding regarding depression and other mental health issues. Unless the person you are working with is qualified I would be very hesitant in seeking their help regardless of your beliefs.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    KwaziiNeko wrote: »
    Thanks y'all for the advice!
    I'm seeing a psychiatrist on the 31st, I think I need to change my medication, this is my first time being on medication.

Yes I am a Christian, I have a problem about praying and meditating, which is something I need to work on.
    I also need to start journaling but I don't know how to write put my emotions on paper.

Anyways

Thank y'all from the bottom of my heart!
    I thought my post was going to get ignored and I also thought I'm the only person in the world that feels this way.

- Bianca

I'm glad to hear that you are seeing someone this month. Medication can be a bit tricky, finding the right ones and the right dose. Stay in contact with your therapist and psychiatrist through the whole process until you find the right balance.

As for the praying/meditating, keep trying! But don't be harsh on yourself for not doing better right now. It can be a vicious cycle. Give yourself credit for every small success and keep working forward.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    I'm seeing a psychiatrist on the 31st, I think I need to change my medication, this is my first time being on medication.

Yes I am a Christian, I have a problem about praying and meditating, which is something I need to work on.
    I also need to start journaling but I don't know how to write put my emotions on paper.

Anyways

I thought my post was going to get ignored and I also thought I'm the only person in the world that feels this way.

- Bianca

Medication can be hard. My first one didn't do anything for me, but my second one made life a lot more calm and stable, enough for me to focus on battling depression instead of being consumed by it. Try to stay hopeful, it will get better!

Journaling is a very common suggestion, but not everyone is good with pen and paper or even typing things out. Have you considered just saying your thoughts out loud and recording them?

A huge number of people struggle or have struggled with depression. You're definitely not alone, and there's plenty of places and support groups to reach out to. All the best to you!
  • rosadoveronica76
    rosadoveronica76 Posts: 8 Member
    Options

Anyways

- Bianca

• Simplifi
    Simplifi Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    synchkat wrote: »
    We all have our own beliefs I'd appreciate you respecting mine rather than putting me down because I don't believe what you do.

My father is alive today because of modern medicine. I believe in science.

Hallelujah!
  • Simplifi
    Simplifi Posts: 128 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Here is a clinical trial on prayer and depression published in a psychiatric journal:

"At the completion of the trial, participants receiving the prayer intervention showed significant improvement of depression and anxiety, as well as increases of daily spiritual experiences and optimism compared to controls (p < 0.01 in all cases). Subjects in the prayer group maintained these significant improvements (p < 0.01 in all cases) for a duration of at least 1 month after the final prayer session. Participants in the control group did not show significant changes during the study. Cortisol levels did not differ significantly between intervention and control groups, or between pre- and post-prayer conditions."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20391859

Those stats are no better than a placebo. Positive thinking produces the same results and REAL healing comes not from trusting that a fictional being will save you, but from responsibly facing your issues and learning how to address them. Cortisol levels did not differ between the control and intervention, meaning the body did nothing to battle the stress other than simply ignore it.
  • rosadoveronica76
    rosadoveronica76 Posts: 8 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

Anyways

- Bianca

Hi, As a mother with a daughter who suffers depression its a serious thing. She's been suffering depression since she was in high school and She's now in her Jr yr of college. For years we believed she suffered solely anxiety, her first year of college took a turn. She became overwhelmed with school and living 8 hrs away from home. I would calm her concerns, bu this last year has been really hard on her and we finally took to see a second therapist and here's where we learned she was suffering depression. For years she was suffering in silence and we (her family) didn't know. Please share with someone in your family or a friend. It helps to talk things through. Don't be afraid to express or share your pain. Some people don't understand depression; start by saying I suffer depression take it from there.

Write yourself a Mantra; which are simple chants and or phrases to help you spiritually. Meditation is helpful in easing your mind.

I'm glad you're going to see a psychiatrist. It will benefit your health and mind. Feel free to reach out to me when you need an ear.
  • merlosc33
    merlosc33 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Help I been dealing with the same issue talk to your love ones about it and remember you are not a lone god bless