Going for a run is scary advice?

Options

Replies

• KimOrley
    KimOrley Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    It is scary when you first start out, most of us can't help worrying what other people think, we all know we shouldn't care but we do...
    I started by running early mornings when not many people were around, until I felt more confident, but I still prefer early runs where the only other people you see are those getting their exercise in, just like you :)
  • WJS_jeepster
    WJS_jeepster Posts: 224 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Face it as a test.

"I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

It's just running, not a Gom jabbār.
    DUNE! When we were kids and read all six books, my brother used to try to cultivate "the voice" to get my sister and I to do things.
  • michmill98_1
    michmill98_1 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I go early morning. We live in a small, tourist town along a bay so the boardwalk and paved walking trail is always crowded in the afternoon. Going that early, the only people that I see are other runners, walkers, and dog walkers. The only obstacles are the ducks, dog poo, and the occasional sunrise photographer but they're so focused on getting the perfect shot that they are oblivious to their own surroundings! We may not know each other's names (I know a few) but we all do the smile, head nod, wave, morning greeting when we see each other and then we're focused back on our own workouts. Actually seeing some of the others out running motivates me more. There's a double amputee with the running blades, a retired lady who is always training for a 1/2 marathon, and somebody who sprints the mile path and never appears to be out of breath! Then there's the sweet older couple out walking who always give me the biggest smiles and encouragement everytime I meet them on the path. Seeing those regulars are what motivates me.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I think you'll find most people have had some form of first time jitters. But the easiest way is to take the first step, then the second, and so on. I think you'll find that most people either don't pay attention or, if they're fellow exercisers, are positive about others exercising.

Some "anonymity builders" like sunglasses and hats may help you feel better.

Another option that would be an opposite to anonymity could be to simply walk that route a few times at your workout time. That can help you get to know any "regulars" you'll be coming across as you work your way up into running. Then, if they see any awkwardness, they'll know "hey, she's getting started" because they'll know you better or someone who's simply casually seen you around will have seen a progression and understand it.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I walk, really early in the morning when it's still dark out, not because I'm afraid of people seeing me, but because I live in Florida, lol. I walk our bridge here and there are quite a few people who run or walk over it also all in different sizes. Don't worry about what people think of you, think about what you will look like after several months of running, awesome!! :)
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Why don't I see any fat chicks running on the street?
    Because they used to be fat chicks running on the street.

If you have a high school near you, you may be able to use the track.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    When I was contemplating running my daughter was very afraid for me (I am a crusty old gal and I don't care what random strangers think!) mostly worried I'd injure something, so I enrolled in an eight week running class from the Running Room. There's a bunch of advantages to this approach. You'll start slowly learning as you go. You are running in a group which is automatically more friendly than running alone, and you will progress more than you could ever imagine in eight weeks.

The Running Room and the local Mountain Equipment Co-Op (MEC) also host weekly free running groups that you can join and again, not run alone.

The experienced runners here are super encouraging and frankly sold the sport to me.

Once you get in to the habit of running regularly, and if it turns out you enjoy it, you will find it much harder to sit at home and it won't matter so much what random strangers think as they go by.
  • Wicked_Seraph
    Wicked_Seraph Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    OP, trust me - I was 100% in the same boat before. I was using Zombies5K and also worried I would look lazy or stupid for running so little and walking so much. I'm also literally obese, and worried what they would think.

What helps is realizing, like everyone else has pointed out, that no one is actually paying that much attention to you. Think about YOUR thoughts when you see a runner. Probably something totally unrelated (i.e., they don't even register in your mind) or generally nice things, yeah? Guess what - most other people are the same way! :smile:

Just focus on your running or your program. Get some headphones and, if you're like me and hate eye contact, sunglasses.
    Why don't I see any fat chicks running on the street?
    Because they used to be fat chicks running on the street.

If you have a high school near you, you may be able to use the track.

I'm a current fat chick running in the street(TM). We do exist, OP! :lol:
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Two tips:

1) Based on my experience with lots of runners, I can tell you that when 99% of the other people see you, they're going to think: "Runner" and not much else. The other 1% can take a hike.

2) When my local running store holds Saturday training sessions, the groups range from absolute beginners to half marathon/marathon runners. There are often 50-100 people there. NOT ONCE did I ever here or witness anything other than true support and admiration for the efforts being made by all members of the group. So my second tip is that maybe you'd enjoy joining a beginners group. It would reinforce your training and you'd find people of similar abilities to run with. That builds confidence.

Good luck. Let us know how you do.
  • TJnTexas
    TJnTexas Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I walk the same route every day - over 14,000 steps in about 80 minutes according to my FitBit. Since it is on a Greenbelt Trail, at the same time each day, I often see the same people. Every body-shape from very fit runners to people like me - out there on the way to getting fit. For me, it is almost an accountability check, those of us out there all the time wave or nod at each other. And those of us out there on the gloomy, misty, cloudy, or even rainy days smile even more as we see that we are the dedicated ones trying to be better, and not the "fair weather" folks who use bad weather as an excuse not to go out. Bottom Line: No one judges HOW you look, only that you are out there trying.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    silico wrote: »
    I had this issue when I started, I found that wearing sunglasses and a cap work well, because they create a barrier in your mind between you and other people you run past. Get those sports sunglasses that are really bright colours and reflective so they can't see you looking at them/avoiding them. The good part is that its normal to see runners with these on so like others have said you just sort of become part of the scenery.

You can't really do running wrong, so even when you are just starting out people wont be looking at your form or your weight they just try and get out the way. After you realise that its actually quite relaxing.

Good strategy...

...for checking out other runners without them knowing it.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    what about a local park to run around in?
    the only time i notice a runner is if she hasnt got a sports bra on, and i think to myself that cant be comfortable.
  • dbhDeb
    dbhDeb Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    put your music in and just tune the world out! Focus on feeling strong and enjoying the sweat!
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I notice other runners, and I always think most of them look like they have their *kitten* together way better than me, and even the ones that are clearly beginners or struggling, I'm totally cheering them on in my head. Because think about it - that person is out for a run. 99% of the population is sitting on their couch or whatever right now, but that person is out DOING it. You're a badass. Just go.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    ZDeb16 wrote: »
    put your music in and just tune the world out! Focus on feeling strong and enjoying the sweat!

But stay aware of your surroundings.

#safetyfirst
  • glitterrainn
    glitterrainn Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    That's not true...People do pay attention. I pay attention to what goes around me. Get a used treadmill.

Treadmill running is the worst. If you want to run, run outside! It's easier!

I was like this. But then I was like Idc, I'm doing this for me and not anyone else. If someone wants to judge me, that's on them. I give no *kitten* now about what other people think about my body. My opinion is the only one that matters! If people are paying that much attention to make a derogatory comment to you it just shows you how insecure they are about themselves that they have to spew hatred.
  • carmkizzle
    carmkizzle Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    carmkizzle wrote: »
    People notice that there's a person out on the street running, okay, no big deal. I wouldn't say that they're "paying attention", taking notes. They aren't watching you through binoculars and eating popcorn. Get you some sunglasses, get some music, and get your run on.

Speak for yourself.

BirdPopcorn.gif

awesome.
  • OfficialDSXIII
    OfficialDSXIII Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I had that problem too, but the feeling goes away after the first couple times.

I know this isn't quite running outside, but if it makes you feel better the first time I went to a gym I felt intimidated and bumped into like 3 machines and accidently went into the women's bathroom. :expressionless:
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    what about a local park to run around in?
    the only time i notice a runner is if she hasnt got a sports bra on, and i think to myself that cant be comfortable.

You notice runners without a sports bra? Twins! I also notice this.
  • jdude3262
    jdude3262 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Go run. 90% of the people won't notice, sure some might notice and some scumbags might even feel like commenting on it. You just need to ask yourself if those types of people are the type that you would even care about their opinion? Some jerk who cares if other people are running to get fit? Is that who you're worried about offending or impressing?