Moody while losing weight?? Ladies

Options
So I have tried looking up if there is any correlation with being moody and losing weight and all things on line that are suggested don't apply to me. I eat right and workout 5 times a week. I started at 300 and in 6 weeks am down to 280. I feel moody like if I were getting ready to start my cycle, I feel more emotional and cry at stupid things, get annoyed easier and just feel in a somber mood. It has been a couple weeks since my cycle, so I didn't think it was that but my cycle was much longer this time around since losing weight. Before it would be just a day long and be done, now its about 5 days long. Just wondering if others have had this problem and if its just hormones just trying to regulate to my new weight? Just not the best feeling.

Replies

• btodd304
    btodd304 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I wondered the same but im staying within my meal plan that I have im at 1751 for calories and I have a certain amount of protein, fat, carb and etc that I stay within for each meal. I eat 5 times a day and drink about 150oz of water right now.
  • Pam_Shebamm
    Pam_Shebamm Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Hanger is real. If you've significantly reduced your calorie intake, you are probably hangry. Maybe you should try decreasing your defecit.
  • kaitfin94
    kaitfin94 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    If you haven't really exercised much before and now you are just jumping into an extreme amount for your body you could just be exhausted. I have been working out really hard for the last 6 weeks as well and before that was like never exercising so I feel like I'm in the same boat as you and I'm just getting hit really hard with fatigue. So maybe just go a little bit easy on your workouts until you feel like you again(:
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    btodd304 wrote: »
    I wondered the same but im staying within my meal plan that I have im at 1751 for calories and I have a certain amount of protein, fat, carb and etc that I stay within for each meal. I eat 5 times a day and drink about 150oz of water right now.

Hmm 1750 calories sounds about right and a good amount of calories to be eating...There haven't been any changes in medications you may be taking or anything? What about vitamins?
  • btodd304
    Options
    Hanger is real. If you've significantly reduced your calorie intake, you are probably hangry. Maybe you should try decreasing your defecit.

Ill have to look into that and ask my trainer Its just been the last 2 weeks, the 1st 4 weeks I didn't feel moody at all. Just kind of weird.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    when i started eating at a deficit, i dropped to about half the calories i had been eating. for a few days, i was dizzy and weak every morning when i woke up, and i was always moody. i started eating just before bed, and that fixed the dizziness, but i stayed moody for a while. regular walking - over half hour per walk - seemed to calm that down a lot, so i expect it is hormonal changes.
  • llbrixon
    llbrixon Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough? Are you getting enough sleep at night?
  • btodd304
    Options
    kaitfin94 wrote: »
    If you haven't really exercised much before and now you are just jumping into an extreme amount for your body you could just be exhausted. I have been working out really hard for the last 6 weeks as well and before that was like never exercising so I feel like I'm in the same boat as you and I'm just getting hit really hard with fatigue. So maybe just go a little bit easy on your workouts until you feel like you again(:

Thanks for the advice. Yeah I did not workout at all before starting with a trainer I was very lazy and did the minimum. This week I just felt out of it and literally was not wanting to go anywhere...no school, work or workout. Just wanted to have days where I didn't have to do anything so I very well could just be exhausted.
  • btodd304
    Options
    when i started eating at a deficit, i dropped to about half the calories i had been eating. for a few days, i was dizzy and weak every morning when i woke up, and i was always moody. i started eating just before bed, and that fixed the dizziness, but i stayed moody for a while. regular walking - over half hour per walk - seemed to calm that down a lot, so i expect it is hormonal changes.

Yeah I just figured it would of been this way in the beginning ya know, not 6 weeks in. Just frustrating when you don't feel like yourself.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Are you doing low fat? I never tried the low fat thing but I did try and limit my butter usage for less than 36 hours. I noticed a real attitude difference, I was snarky and easily annoyed. I went back to using my butter and still lost weight. Not enough calories can cause some real personality issues, I know it is hard to figure calorie burn with working out and I would agree with most that eating back about 1/2 of those calories is okay. Remember food is fuel for our body and mind so even though we want to eat to lose weight it works so much better when we find that happy place where our mind and body work at their best together.

Congrats on the loss!
  • btodd304
    Options
    llbrixon wrote: »

I am following the plan my trainer gave me which should be more than enough for me. Sleep is hit or miss but lately have been sleeping pretty good, especially the days I workout with my trainer....best nights sleep
  • ruthiegirl73
    ruthiegirl73 Posts: 5 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I just started and am also eating about 1700 calories. Honestly, I have a terrible case of the blues and I really think it is because I am pushing myself out of my comfort zone. I am actively working to break my old patterns and unhealthy habits and I think there is a certain amount of emotional discomfort that goes along with big changes.

For me, there has always been a lot of emotional comfort in eating and I no longer have that to rely on. Instead of peanut butter and toast in the afternoon to perk me up, I am just left feeling kind of low and sad. And I have to fill that sadness in other ways - a short nap, a dance break with my kids, some time outside. I am getting better at it, but I expect that I will need to focus on finding ways to comfort myself that are not food related.

Just my two thoughts.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    There is a lot of emotion behind losing weight, too. Never mind that your hormones are in flux, and never mind that you aren't eating all the yummy feel-good carbs that you probably were eating - but I know in my case I was pretty mad at myself for letting it get to that point and realizing just how much work it was going to be and how long it was going to take to get to a healthy weight. It's a grind - and at times it's not easy.

Also, I used to eat any time I had any emotions that were uncomfortable and when I was trying to lose weight, I had to find other outlets and other coping tools. It's a big deal, psychologically.

You're not imagining things. :)
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    If I read right, you started at 300lbs. So, is it safe to say you at least cut your calories in 1/2 right out of the gate? That's a much bigger cut than like someone who was eating 2000 and went down to 1500. Maybe it was too big of a calorie drop all at one time.
    Seems like it would be stressful on your body.
    Sometimes adding even a couple of hundred calories per day can make it much more sustainable long term and easier on your hormones and mood.
    I found out, weight loss doesn't have to be torture if you have a little patience.
    Good luck to you, you are doing a great job, just don't be too hard on yourself.
  • incisron
    incisron Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    BTW, go you! 20 lbs!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Have you been eating your exercise calories back?

You could be under-eating if you're not eating around 50-75% of the estimated burn back.
  • kimdawnhayden
    kimdawnhayden Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I have to take an afternoon nap when I have a hard workout day. I bet you're just tired.
  • de7inhim
    de7inhim Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Be patient with yourself. You are doing all the right this. Be proud of this loss. Take a moment to absorb 20# is HUGE success. Are you looking at the long haul?? Find s mini goal 275?? And continue on your winning path. Can you treat yourself to a new workout toy or something small for the house that just makes you happy. Sometimes I google minions and just LAUGH!!!
    You'll figure this out! We are in this for the long haul!
    i2bum4foc565.jpeg
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    btodd304 wrote: »
    llbrixon wrote: »

I am following the plan my trainer gave me which should be more than enough for me. Sleep is hit or miss but lately have been sleeping pretty good, especially the days I workout with my trainer....best nights sleep

What is the plan that the trainer gave you?