Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

The Sugar Conspiracy

Options

Replies

• fitnessjustin01
    fitnessjustin01 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    well.. lol.. After reading the article and all the comments here I just don't know where to start. I do love this community :wink:
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Have you ever heard the term "pick your poison"? Just because sugar isn't your poison (wine is mine) doesn't mean it's not poison. One glass of wine a day may or may not have health benefits for some people...or send others into a spiral from hell.

It's nice that sugar isn't your poison but stop pretending you know what is happening in other people's bodies.

I'm not pretending anything. Sugar is nowhere near as bad for you as cocaine or smoking. If you want to argue drinking, that may be a closer comparison, because as you said, moderation can actually be sustainable. However, that argument falls apart because sugar is not an addictive substance. If you think you are addicted to sugar, go to a recovery center and admit yourself. Explain to the heroin and alcohol addicts how tough sugar withdrawal is. Then get back to me. Then go to people who are trying to quit smoking and explain the addictiveness of sugar.

Addiction is a *kitten* and when someone claims they have a sugar addiction is insulting. Quitting a real drug addiction does not compare.

Agreed 100%. It pisses me off.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    pcoslady83 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    It's not remotely the same, it's dumb people want to pretend it's the same.

Sure, some people might benefit from cutting out added sugar or low carbing. Others find they do better getting over the idea that some foods are "bad."

What is dumb is your absolute belief that only you are correct and every one else who think otherwise are stupid.

You'll notice that she didn't call anyone dumb, like you did. She said the belief that sugar is addictive is dumb.
  • pcoslady83
    pcoslady83 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    snikkins wrote: »

Sure, some people might benefit from cutting out added sugar or low carbing. Others find they do better getting over the idea that some foods are "bad."

What is dumb is your absolute belief that only you are correct and every one else who think otherwise are stupid.

You'll notice that she didn't call anyone dumb, like you did. She said the belief that sugar is addictive is dumb.

I didn't call her dumb. I called her belief dumb.
  • pcoslady83
    Options
    I honestly don't know what to say to drive my point home..

Send a "Sugar addict" into a rehab facility full of heroin addicts and alcoholics. Watch them climbing the walls, vomiting profusely, the feelings of bugs crawling under their skin, the days and days and days of NO sleep,see their total mental and physical torture and the fact that they would do ANYTHING in that moment to get a fix..

Then come back and tell me your sugar cravings are comparable to what these people are going through!!

What is your opinion on smoking? Is that addictive? I have seen people trying to quit smoking having a hard time but definitely not as hard as you are explaining here. But it is still considered an addiction.
  • pcoslady83
    Options
    I honestly don't know what to say to drive my point home..

Send a "Sugar addict" into a rehab facility full of heroin addicts and alcoholics. Watch them climbing the walls, vomiting profusely, the feelings of bugs crawling under their skin, the days and days and days of NO sleep,see their total mental and physical torture and the fact that they would do ANYTHING in that moment to get a fix..

Then come back and tell me your sugar cravings are comparable to what these people are going through!!

What is your opinion on smoking? Is that addictive? I have seen people trying to quit smoking having a hard time but definitely not as hard as you are explaining here. But it is still considered an addiction.

I've quit smoking too. I got a bit snappy and impatient and really really craved a cigarette every minute of the day, but it was bearable. Mind over matter and extreme willpower, pretty much the same way i deal with sweet cravings.

And no, quitting smoking is nothing like coming off of narcotics.

Sure..quitting cigarettes may not come close to quitting narcotics. But is smoking still considered an addiction?

You had enough will power to quit smoking and control your sugar cravings, the same can be extended and said that if some one had enough will power they could have come off narcotics or alcohol too.

At least for me, sugar triggers addictive behaviors. I have had nights where I couldn't sleep until I ate the last cookie, I have felt bad while eating that cookie and I have wept after eating that because I knew that I shouldn't eat it. Your experience may be different with sugar. As per the severity, it may not come close to narcotics, nicotine or even alcohol, but it is still more than just will power (for me).

I have seen a person who had addiction to lemons of all things. Her teeth got eroded with acid exposure and had to get dentures and had to be in therapy to stop the behavior. Now, I don't know if citric acid is proven as addictive. But I cannot just dismiss her experience as a matter of willpower.

• snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options

Then I misread you.

I will never understand people who have decided that food has this much power over them, and it certainly isn't for lack of trying.
  • pcoslady83
    Options

Then I misread you.

I will never understand people who have decided that food has this much power over them, and it certainly isn't for lack of trying.

You can read what I wrote once more..

I don't understand how people are addicted to alcohol or smoking. I cannot understand why they need rehab or a support group to quit drinking when I cannot finish a glass of wine or stand the smell of smoke. That is completely okay. What I do understand if they need assistance to quit is that they have a legitimate problem which is beyond my understanding and experience. I don't degrade them by saying that it was their decision to give more power to the substance they are abusing and if they tried hard enough on their own, they would get over it.
  • pcoslady83
    Options

Then I misread you.

Also..by the way..many people as soon as they recognize that sugar triggers addictive behavior do try moderating it. When it fails, they abstain from it. That is how they "decide" gain control over something that is just not working for them. So they try and in most cases are successful as well.
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I know two people at work who've 'quit' sugar (with no medical reason - purely in the the hope to lose weight), and guess what, they are still fat.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    dietitianwithoutborders.com/what-are-free-sugars/

"WHAT ARE FREE SUGARS?
    July 27, 2015 By Gemma Sampson RD APD 5 Comments

The Scientific Advisory Committee on Nutrition (SACN) recently released a report in the UK on Carbohydrates where they gave new recommendations in line with WHO that free sugar intake should account for no more than 5% of daily energy intake.

The WHO 5% is an aspirational goal, 10% is their current view of a limit. With many eating less than the limit the population average will fall below 10%.

Here's a period of UK data showing the "added sugars" and obesity trends, the drift down in sugar consumption has been going on for quite a long time while obesity has increased :-
    4zmow7udgnol.png
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Once upon a time, a man decided to deal sugar to his community. His home became one of the most frequented sugar houses in the city.
    His daughter became a sugar addict and was so hooked that she began doing anything she could for a sugar fix. She stole, prostituted herself...she was serving a prison sentence when she gave birth to her little girl.
    Because she couldn't raise her daughter in prison, her sugar dealing parents raised her in their sugar house. The little girl saw all the things you'd expect to see in a sugar house. Robberies, prostitution, sugar abuse...
    The little girl's mom never stayed out of prison for long, always going back after getting caught prostituting herself or robbing others to get more sugar money.
    At the age of just nine years old, the little girl was the responsible one in the house, watching the addicts to make sure no one overdosed on sugar.
    Then one day the police came in a series of raids. In the fifth raid they found the sugar they were looking for.
    Because the little girl was in the home when the grandparents were busted with the sugar, she was removed from their custody.
    By God's grace, a series of circumstances brought the little girl to a small local church. God placed it in the hearts of a family in that church to take that little girl in as their own.
    Her past life in the sugar world is just a distant memory now, a whole different world.
    With a lot of help, discipline, prayer and love, she's become a permanent member of her new family and grown into a balanced, well adjusted, beautiful young lady.

This story has a happy ending but the pain that sugar caused this little girl is still very real and the sad truth is that most little girls trapped in the world of sugar don't get such a happy ending.

Sounds completely ridiculous and absurd doesn't it?

That's because it is.

Now exchange the word "sugar" for "heroin."

Not absurd anymore.

That's why the ridiculous claims that sugar is addictive like drugs and just as hard to quit, blah blah blah, just make me want to scream and punch a hole in the wall.

Btw,
    The little girl is my adopted baby sister.

BINGO! This gives the issue some much needed perspective. Thank you! :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Once upon a time, a man decided to deal sugar to his community. His home became one of the most frequented sugar houses in the city.
    His daughter became a sugar addict and was so hooked that she began doing anything she could for a sugar fix. She stole, prostituted herself...she was serving a prison sentence when she gave birth to her little girl.
    Because she couldn't raise her daughter in prison, her sugar dealing parents raised her in their sugar house. The little girl saw all the things you'd expect to see in a sugar house. Robberies, prostitution, sugar abuse...
    The little girl's mom never stayed out of prison for long, always going back after getting caught prostituting herself or robbing others to get more sugar money.
    At the age of just nine years old, the little girl was the responsible one in the house, watching the addicts to make sure no one overdosed on sugar.
    Then one day the police came in a series of raids. In the fifth raid they found the sugar they were looking for.
    Because the little girl was in the home when the grandparents were busted with the sugar, she was removed from their custody.
    By God's grace, a series of circumstances brought the little girl to a small local church. God placed it in the hearts of a family in that church to take that little girl in as their own.
    Her past life in the sugar world is just a distant memory now, a whole different world.
    With a lot of help, discipline, prayer and love, she's become a permanent member of her new family and grown into a balanced, well adjusted, beautiful young lady.

This story has a happy ending but the pain that sugar caused this little girl is still very real and the sad truth is that most little girls trapped in the world of sugar don't get such a happy ending.

Sounds completely ridiculous and absurd doesn't it?

That's because it is.

Now exchange the word "sugar" for "heroin."

Not absurd anymore.

That's why the ridiculous claims that sugar is addictive like drugs and just as hard to quit, blah blah blah, just make me want to scream and punch a hole in the wall.

Btw,
    The little girl is my adopted baby sister.

BINGO! This gives the issue some much needed perspective. Thank you! :)

Agreed.

I'd also like to note that I live near a bakery, and yet this is still quite a nice neighborhood. Hmm.
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Ugh, the lack of I don't know what you would call it is disgusting.

If an addict is insulted by food addiction, that's on them. This is a calorie counting site. Plenty of forums exist for drug and alcohol addiction. There are no rules on MFP that say food addiction can't be discussed.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    100df wrote: »
    Ugh, the lack of I don't know what you would call it is disgusting.

If an addict is insulted by food addiction, that's on them. This is a calorie counting site. Plenty of forums exist for drug and alcohol addiction. There are no rules on MFP that say food addiction can't be discussed.

It can be discussed in a way that is respectful to people. I could go to an extreme and compare the sugar industry to hitler for "killing so many people with their devious fattening schemes" or some *kitten*, would you tell people who don't like that comparison to go to a historian forum?