• satisatisati
    satisatisati Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Practicing free handstand push-ups. Anyone here who is an expert I that
  • dtlp
    dtlp Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Will they allow me to do it if I have shoulder injuries? Yes
    Will my injuries get in the way? Not necessarily but you'll find yourself doing a lot of squats, deadlifts, etc (not necessarily a bad thing
    They offer a start class but I'm still nervous as strength isn't my strong point. That really doesn't matter. You'll build strength. They don't expect you to come in as hulk hogan. I'm incredibly strong for my fitness level, but some of the women I started with can't lift a quarter of the weight I can. On the other hand they can run a hell of a lot further than I can and can definitely do more burpees than I can. Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses. Once you get comfortable in the movements your weaknesses are things you can work on and improve at.
    What was its effect on your body? The effect on your body is completely dependent on the amount of work you put in and what you eat
    Did you see significant changes? Yes! I've lost 25 lbs in the last 6 months (it would be more if my diet were better) and I've lost a bunch of inches. I've dropped a pants size, 2 bra sizes, and a shirt size (and this is happening even when I'm not losing weight. I did an 8 week fitness challenge back in January-March. In that time I dropped 14 lbs, over 5 inches, I increased my front squat strength by 20 lbs and my wod reps increased by 25 reps. That was in only 8 weeks. Think of how your body could change in a year.

I love CrossFit. I never have to think about it. I show up, they tell me what to do and I do it. If I suck at it I suck at it. I still get a workout in. If I don't I really love the workout haha. I can kill some thrusters but some days I can't even run 200 meters. But my workout partner can run 800 meters faster than anyone in the class but she struggles with weights. Depending on the workout, sometimes I'm the last one done other days I'm not. I am in awe of the things my body can already do that I thought would take years! I get stronger every week even if it doesn't show on the weights I know it's happening. It's little things like when I started I couldn't do a pushup in plank. Now I can do more than 20 of them in plank. When I started I could barely get my knees above my hips from the rigs, now I can get my feet up to my shoulders. I might actually be able to do a toes to bar by the end of the year. Burpees still haven't gotten any damn easier though. Grr. I hate me some metcon, but I still run outside of CrossFit so that I get better.

Plus, I've made some awesome friends in CrossFit. Friends like I've never had before. they're always cheering for me and even though sometimes I'm the slowest in the class they're inspired by me and I by them. It's an amazing camaraderie that you won't find at any other gym.
    dtlp wrote: »
    theWODdoll wrote: »
    Oh and I've never ever ever had an injury doing CrossFit! I listen to my coaches, listen to my body, and never try to max out if it means my form is gonna be off. Train smart not hard!

Okay so basically if the coaches are great, then I should be fine! Thank you for the information :)

Don't be too general. Injuries can happen. It's always a risk in any form of physical activity. I mean, I was always getting hurt in school sports back in the day. Just know that if you have an injury it doesn't mean you have a bad coach and know that even the best coach can't always prevent an injury. I mean we had a girl who fell on the box jump, it got infected and she ended up admitted into the hospital. Accidents happen, but don't listen to the hype that it's any more likely to happen in CrossFit than other forms of exercise. That's a load of hooey. I got more injuries in basketball every year than I've gotten in CrossFit. The worst thing I've had in CF is I tripped on the box jump the other day so I'm sure my shin will be hurting for the next 3-6 months.

Thank you both for the info :) appreciate it heaps!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Oh and I've never ever ever had an injury doing CrossFit! I listen to my coaches, listen to my body, and never try to max out if it means my form is gonna be off. Train smart not hard!

Okay so basically if the coaches are great, then I should be fine! Thank you for the information :)

Don't be too general. Injuries can happen. It's always a risk in any form of physical activity. I mean, I was always getting hurt in school sports back in the day. Just know that if you have an injury it doesn't mean you have a bad coach and know that even the best coach can't always prevent an injury. I mean we had a girl who fell on the box jump, it got infected and she ended up admitted into the hospital. Accidents happen, but don't listen to the hype that it's any more likely to happen in CrossFit than other forms of exercise. That's a load of hooey. I got more injuries in basketball every year than I've gotten in CrossFit. The worst thing I've had in CF is I tripped on the box jump the other day so I'm sure my shin will be hurting for the next 3-6 months.

Sorry, but statistically speaking you're more likely to injure yourself doing crossfit than, say, just general weightlifting or something like zumba, les mills, etc.

http://ojs.sagepub.com/content/2/4/2325967114531177.full
    "The injury rate in CrossFit was approximately 20%. Males were more likely to sustain an injury than females. The involvement of trainers in coaching participants on their form and guiding them through the workout correlates with a decreased injury rate. The shoulder and lower back were the most commonly injured in gymnastic and power lifting movements, respectively. "

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24276294
    " A total of 132 responses were collected with 97 (73.5%) having sustained an injury during CrossFit training. A total of 186 injuries were reported with 9 (7.0%) requiring surgical intervention. An injury rate of 3.1 per 1000 hours trained was calculated. No incidences of rhabdomyolysis were reported. Injury rates with CrossFit training are similar to that reported in the literature for sports such as Olympic weight-lifting, power-lifting and gymnastics and lower than competitive contact sports such as rugby union and rugby league. Shoulder and spine injuries predominate with no incidences of rhabdomyolysis obtained. To our knowledge this is the first paper in the literature detailing the injury rates and profiles with CrossFit participation."

Notice the above one says in that group of people that "no incidences of rhabdomyolysis" were reported in that sample. This is because crossfit has a notoriously high rate of exhaustional induced rhabdomyolysis.
    http://library.crossfit.com/free/pdf/38_05_cf_rhabdo.pdf

Crossfit even admits this and advises coaches/trainers on how to help their clients NOT get rhabdo.

And even if this were not the case, considering the OP is having problems with her shoulder she is SIGNIFICANTLY more at-risk for injury than the average person (whose risk is inherently high with this style of training). Even if she were going into a normal gym to strength train she would still be at high risk of injuring her shoulder. It's just a fact of life that when you have shoulder issues certain movements can exacerbate it (squats, deadlifts, bench press, kettle bell swings, lateral raises, pullups).

As someone who has had: shoulder bursitis, shoulder impingement syndrome, shoulder instability, and then eventually a labral tear of the anterior rotator cuff, I know first hand that having ANY shoulder problem that you don't get full physical therapy for just opens you up for higher injury rate. Even if you're just having inflammation and pain you will be moving in altered patterns, developing muscular imbalances, which leads to unstable shoulder over time, which leads to you moving the wrong way and *rip*.

Of course, if you want to do crossfit i say go for it. but not until you see a doctor about your shoulder, especially since you're having pain. It is totally worth it to not have to wear one of these for 6 weeks.
    image_zpsaxwjktsl.jpeg
  • dtlp
    dtlp Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

Sorry, but statistically speaking you're more likely to injure yourself doing crossfit than, say, just general weightlifting or something like zumba, les mills, etc.

http://ojs.sagepub.com/content/2/4/2325967114531177.full
    "The injury rate in CrossFit was approximately 20%. Males were more likely to sustain an injury than females. The involvement of trainers in coaching participants on their form and guiding them through the workout correlates with a decreased injury rate. The shoulder and lower back were the most commonly injured in gymnastic and power lifting movements, respectively. "

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24276294
    " A total of 132 responses were collected with 97 (73.5%) having sustained an injury during CrossFit training. A total of 186 injuries were reported with 9 (7.0%) requiring surgical intervention. An injury rate of 3.1 per 1000 hours trained was calculated. No incidences of rhabdomyolysis were reported. Injury rates with CrossFit training are similar to that reported in the literature for sports such as Olympic weight-lifting, power-lifting and gymnastics and lower than competitive contact sports such as rugby union and rugby league. Shoulder and spine injuries predominate with no incidences of rhabdomyolysis obtained. To our knowledge this is the first paper in the literature detailing the injury rates and profiles with CrossFit participation."

Notice the above one says in that group of people that "no incidences of rhabdomyolysis" were reported in that sample. This is because crossfit has a notoriously high rate of exhaustional induced rhabdomyolysis.
    http://library.crossfit.com/free/pdf/38_05_cf_rhabdo.pdf

Crossfit even admits this and advises coaches/trainers on how to help their clients NOT get rhabdo.

And even if this were not the case, considering the OP is having problems with her shoulder she is SIGNIFICANTLY more at-risk for injury than the average person (whose risk is inherently high with this style of training). Even if she were going into a normal gym to strength train she would still be at high risk of injuring her shoulder. It's just a fact of life that when you have shoulder issues certain movements can exacerbate it (squats, deadlifts, bench press, kettle bell swings, lateral raises, pullups).

As someone who has had: shoulder bursitis, shoulder impingement syndrome, shoulder instability, and then eventually a labral tear of the anterior rotator cuff, I know first hand that having ANY shoulder problem that you don't get full physical therapy for just opens you up for higher injury rate. Even if you're just having inflammation and pain you will be moving in altered patterns, developing muscular imbalances, which leads to unstable shoulder over time, which leads to you moving the wrong way and *rip*.

Of course, if you want to do crossfit i say go for it. but not until you see a doctor about your shoulder, especially since you're having pain. It is totally worth it to not have to wear one of these for 6 weeks.
    image_zpsaxwjktsl.jpeg

Oh wow. Thanks for the that. Looks like I'm booking in a physio appointment!