Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

The Sugar Conspiracy

Options

Replies

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Once upon a time, a man decided to deal sugar to his community. His home became one of the most frequented sugar houses in the city.
    His daughter became a sugar addict and was so hooked that she began doing anything she could for a sugar fix. She stole, prostituted herself...she was serving a prison sentence when she gave birth to her little girl.
    Because she couldn't raise her daughter in prison, her sugar dealing parents raised her in their sugar house. The little girl saw all the things you'd expect to see in a sugar house. Robberies, prostitution, sugar abuse...
    The little girl's mom never stayed out of prison for long, always going back after getting caught prostituting herself or robbing others to get more sugar money.
    At the age of just nine years old, the little girl was the responsible one in the house, watching the addicts to make sure no one overdosed on sugar.
    Then one day the police came in a series of raids. In the fifth raid they found the sugar they were looking for.
    Because the little girl was in the home when the grandparents were busted with the sugar, she was removed from their custody.
    By God's grace, a series of circumstances brought the little girl to a small local church. God placed it in the hearts of a family in that church to take that little girl in as their own.
    Her past life in the sugar world is just a distant memory now, a whole different world.
    With a lot of help, discipline, prayer and love, she's become a permanent member of her new family and grown into a balanced, well adjusted, beautiful young lady.

This story has a happy ending but the pain that sugar caused this little girl is still very real and the sad truth is that most little girls trapped in the world of sugar don't get such a happy ending.

Sounds completely ridiculous and absurd doesn't it?

That's because it is.

Now exchange the word "sugar" for "heroin."

Not absurd anymore.

That's why the ridiculous claims that sugar is addictive like drugs and just as hard to quit, blah blah blah, just make me want to scream and punch a hole in the wall.

Btw,
    The little girl is my adopted baby sister.

:)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    100df wrote: »
    Ugh, the lack of I don't know what you would call it is disgusting.

If an addict is insulted by food addiction, that's on them. This is a calorie counting site. Plenty of forums exist for drug and alcohol addiction. There are no rules on MFP that say food addiction can't be discussed.

It can be discussed in a way that is respectful to people. I could go to an extreme and compare the sugar industry to hitler for "killing so many people with their devious fattening schemes" or some *kitten*, would you tell people who don't like that comparison to go to a historian forum?

Good approach.

Interesting reaction to Naziism by a later generatiom was in Deuschland:1983. I highly recommend that series.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    100df wrote: »
    Ugh, the lack of I don't know what you would call it is disgusting.

If an addict is insulted by food addiction, that's on them. This is a calorie counting site. Plenty of forums exist for drug and alcohol addiction. There are no rules on MFP that say food addiction can't be discussed.

The reason it needs to be discussed and the differences made clear is that many people feel helpless to their sugar 'addiction." Realizing that it's not an addiction in the true sense that heroin is an addiction can be very empowering. Helps people stop feeling like a victim and lets them begin to take control of their situation. Perspective and reality are important. In life and in weight management. :)

Knowing that my response to some foods is a physical thing makes it so, so, so much easier to work around and live a normal life. I can't even imagine where I'd be if I was stuck spinning my wheels journaling my feelings to trying to figure out what's wrong with me, locking up food in the trunk of my car, spending my day food obsessed and waiting for a treat at the end of the day to keep my on track and make my life worth living or eating all day long for fear of what I'd do if I allowed myself to get hungry -- or any of the other little rituals I read about everyday on this site.

Thanks, but no thanks. I'm thankful everyday I found out what was wrong with me. I know the majority of you mean well but you're doing a real disservice to some of the people dealing with this issue by insisting it isn't a thing and shutting them down when they reach out for help.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    paulgads82 wrote: »
    It wouldn't be a thing if it was purely psychological? What part of sugar is physically addictive and do you eat fruits and vegetables? Who has been shut down?

I think psychological and physical problems respond best to different strategies. I have no idea if sugar is addictive or not. I answered the fruit and vegetable question back on page 8 of this thread.

As for the who's been shut down? I have no response to that. lol
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking and drinking quickly, painlessly and happily. Perhaps you guys are the whiners?
  • paulgads82
    paulgads82 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Whatever works, works. It just seems incredibly inaccurate to compare it to actual drugs, given it's an energy source, in most foods and vital for the body to function. It renders the term drug or poison virtually meaningless. People can develop unhealthy relationships with exercise, it alters brain chemistry and gives people a high. Exercise is not a drug. Same with meditation. Same with getting your groove on. Same with sugar.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking and drinking quickly, painlessly and happily. Perhaps you guys are the whiners?

Bully for you.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

Who is whining? I keep belaboring this point, I know, but I feel like this thread has been largely respectful and has provided some great perspective from people who advocate for sugar in moderation as well as those who try to abstain or restrict added sugars more stringently. Every so often people chime in on this thread from their personal view of the world but don't seem to have read through all the comments and realized many of the points have been discussed already.
    That is frustrating but I don't think people are whining...
  • ogtmama
    Options
    I think many people have insinuated that people who claim sugar is an addiction are whiners
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Isn't there at least one Addiction thread for those who give a kitten about that, like http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10388272/addiction-versus-dependence/ the OP wasn't about that.
  • paulgads82
    Options
    I think many people have insinuated that people who claim sugar is an addiction are whiners

I certainly don't. It's not on par with drug addiction but I definitely don't think people aren't suffering. I've struggled with food so would be a hypocrite to say it isn't difficult.
  • paulgads82
    Options
    Once upon a time, a man decided to deal sugar to his community. His home became one of the most frequented sugar houses in the city.
    His daughter became a sugar addict and was so hooked that she began doing anything she could for a sugar fix. She stole, prostituted herself...she was serving a prison sentence when she gave birth to her little girl.
    Because she couldn't raise her daughter in prison, her sugar dealing parents raised her in their sugar house. The little girl saw all the things you'd expect to see in a sugar house. Robberies, prostitution, sugar abuse...
    The little girl's mom never stayed out of prison for long, always going back after getting caught prostituting herself or robbing others to get more sugar money.
    At the age of just nine years old, the little girl was the responsible one in the house, watching the addicts to make sure no one overdosed on sugar.
    Then one day the police came in a series of raids. In the fifth raid they found the sugar they were looking for.
    Because the little girl was in the home when the grandparents were busted with the sugar, she was removed from their custody.
    By God's grace, a series of circumstances brought the little girl to a small local church. God placed it in the hearts of a family in that church to take that little girl in as their own.
    Her past life in the sugar world is just a distant memory now, a whole different world.
    With a lot of help, discipline, prayer and love, she's become a permanent member of her new family and grown into a balanced, well adjusted, beautiful young lady.

This story has a happy ending but the pain that sugar caused this little girl is still very real and the sad truth is that most little girls trapped in the world of sugar don't get such a happy ending.

That's because it is.

Not absurd anymore.

That's why the ridiculous claims that sugar is addictive like drugs and just as hard to quit, blah blah blah, just make me want to scream and punch a hole in the wall.

Btw,

I'm really sorry to hear this story, it is heartbreaking. The differences in the story, however, is the legality and availability of the substance. Of course it would be ridiculous to prostitute yourself for sugar when it is readily available in your own cupboards.

People do steal food/sugar/starchy shite, they do great harm to themselves with it. People lose limbs, eyesight, go into comas and still can't stop themselves. If that's not an addiction, I don't know what is.

Yes but the debate is whether sugar is the addictive part or whether the addiction is psychological and sugar an arbitrary trigger.
  • ogtmama
    Options
    That sounds an awful lot like semantics to me.
  • paulgads82
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Edit: ignore bad editing.
  • pcoslady83
    pcoslady83 Posts: 55 Member
    Options

That's because it is.

Not absurd anymore.

Btw,

I'm really sorry to hear this story, it is heartbreaking. The differences in the story, however, is the legality and availability of the substance. Of course it would be ridiculous to prostitute yourself for sugar when it is readily available in your own cupboards.

People do steal food/sugar/starchy shite, they do great harm to themselves with it. People lose limbs, eyesight, go into comas and still can't stop themselves. If that's not an addiction, I don't know what is.

Exactly. Sugar is not a banned substance and it is cheap, readily available. Why would any one go to jail for consuming a legal substance. The story is heart breaking and I am glad that the poster's sister found a loving and safe home.