Pasta (should I limit my intake)

Options
I'm unsure whether to limit my pasta intake. Having followed slimming world previously, the advice there was to eat as much as you want but looking at the calorific value, I can't see this being correct. Any advice would be helpful :-)

Replies

• fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I limit myself to a 50g portion of pasta which is 167 calories and make sure it fits into my allowed calorie intake for the day. It doesn't matter how much pasta you eat as long as you don't go over the calories for the day. I just like to have a set amount I don't go over so I know I'm not going over my calories for the day.
  • DVall30
    DVall30 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Its all about the calorie deficit at the end of the day but pasta tends to bloat me so i limit how much i eat of it. I def wouldnt eat it for dinner if i was going to sleep soon after
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    No you should limit your calorie intake

This

If pasta fits in your cals and macros, you're golden!
  • robs_ready
    robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    I'm unsure whether to limit my pasta intake. Having followed slimming world previously, the advice there was to eat as much as you want but looking at the calorific value, I can't see this being correct. Any advice would be helpful :-)

Limit your pasta, it'a calorific. But take the holistic view to control calorie intake. Make sure you get a good balance of carbs fat and protein, you need all of them, good luck!
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    @emmadonaldson95 I LOVE love love zoodles!
  • SugarySweetheart
    SugarySweetheart Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    According to a bariatric surgeon, you should NOT eat pasta to lose or maintain weight. The healthier choice is to eat protein, vegetables and low sugar fruit, like berries within your caloric intake boundaries. Pasta as with bread, rice, potatoes, and other starches, turn to sugar to be used as energy BUT if you don't use them they get stored as fat. If you want pasta pease be careful with your portion size and the amount of calories you're eating.
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Damn, you really do love that pasta! Original post is fairly ambiguous btw, hard to tell what she's really asking. Like if you love pasta and "eat as much as you want", you'll probably be going over the number of calories you need to eat to lose weight.
  • SugarySweetheart
    SugarySweetheart Posts: 154 Member
    Options

I've pretty much ditched pasta because to get a portion size I want the calories just arent worth it with my goal I'd rather 'spend' them elsewhere.
    I'm seriously considering a spiralizer though to make vegetti because pasta and easy sauces could be super low calorie like that and fast.

An excellent replacement because most of us enjoy the marinara sauce and cheese put upon the pasta and you get all the flavor without the pasta.
  • UncaToddly
    UncaToddly Posts: 146 Member
    Options

I've pretty much ditched pasta because to get a portion size I want the calories just arent worth it with my goal I'd rather 'spend' them elsewhere.
    I'm seriously considering a spiralizer though to make vegetti because pasta and easy sauces could be super low calorie like that and fast.

An excellent replacement because most of us enjoy the marinara sauce and cheese put upon the pasta and you get all the flavor without the pasta.

We have tried the Vegetti (pencil sharpener type) on zucchini and weren't crazy about it. Not enough body to the zoodle. Using cauliflower riced as a substitute for rice or mashed in substitute of potatoes has worked well though.

We have recently found a spaghetti at Costco (Explore Asian) that is made just from edamame that is great for those of us on low carb/high protein diets. A 2oz (dry wt.) portion is 204 cal, 21g carbs, 11g Fiber and 24g Protein. Best part is that it is no different than any other dry pasta you buy to me. Online, you can also buy other ones they make from different beans as well, such as black beans, mung beans and adzuki beans that are similar in nutritional makeup.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    I love pasta! And I weigh it carefully and fit it into my calories. Of course I don't just eat the pasta.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I've limited pasta because it has been a BIG help in limiting cals and keeping a proper macro balance. I have it a couple times a month at most. I rarely order it when eating out. When I do, I puck off the protein & any veggies and eat a small amount of pasta. I usually save at least half to take home & work into 2 more meals. I imagine that a plate of pasta & sauce would use all my cals for the day & screw up my macros.